Promotion 2017/18: What does it require?

Tubby

42 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Looking at the team we started with last season and comparing it with the current squad is pretty interesting. That's a 95% absolutely shit team. 

Screenshot_20170708-110018~2.png

You're bang on mate:

Gollini - 4/10 poor

Hutton - 6/10 ok, not great at all

Elphick - 4/10 poor

Baker - 7/10 ok, not too bad at this level

Cissokho - 4/10 poor/average

Bacuna - 6/10 ok when trying hard

Gardner - 5/10 very average 

Westwood - 5/10 also very average

Ayew - 7/10 our best player when he could be bothered which was never

McCormack - 7/10 massive potential not yet realised for us

Gestede - 4/10 one trick pony whose movement resembles a half tree half man.

whereas:

Johnstone

Chester Terry Baker

Bree                                Taylor

Lansbury Hourihane Green

McCormack

Kodjia

It isn't perfect but is far, far better.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2017 at 11:45, Tubby said:

Not a thread for transfer speculation (player recommendations welcomed) but more geared towards what necessary improvements are required to gain promotion next season.

A few things from me:

• Goals from midfield and a second goal threat other than Kodjia - we have lacked goals for years now and it's one of the main reasons we are where we are!
  • Quality not quantity in the transfer window - that's enough rebuilding, let's add difference makers that can get the job done week in week out.
  • Seeing teams off early - we've scored 3 goals in a game only twice this season (by my reckoning against Rotherham & Cardiff).

Share your thoughts...

Goals from corners and free kicks especially from central defenders. 

We a style and shape that all the players buy in to and are comfortable playing, we have a squad good enough to go and impose ourselves on other teams, like others have said none of this home team set up away team set up, go play our stuff

if that's tight at the back horrible to watch hit them on the counter long ball shite then so be it, we spent far too long last season looking like we didn't know how to play football

said in the Bruce thread at the end of last season Neil warnock is an utter word removed who plays horrible football but he got more out Cardiff than Bruce got out of us, every man knows their job and does it to the best of their ability, I honestly believe that mentality would be enough for our squad to get promoted

Depends how early in the season Bruce gets sacked, if its October then we still have a chance. If they leave it to xmas then we will have to target the season after

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Goals Goals Goals We need to score 80+ goals. We need 10-15 away wins. We need to turn Villa Park in to a fortress. We need goals. 

For ............and very few against.

At this a stage a minor miracle.

Whilst I accept our start last season badly impacted on us, I also don't remember seeing long periods of time where we thrashed teams or even dominated them. Were we ever in title winning form?

So whilst I expect an improvement this season, I can't see how just a little bit of stability and John Terry is going to be enough to make up a 30 odd point difference between the top two and us. In fact, even if you argue Terry improves the defence, I think it was one of the last areas that needed improving anyway. Our issue is clearly the midfield creativity and the link between them and the strikers - a seemingly ongoing issue.

So mindset, fitness and consistency may help but I don't think that'll currently be enough to make us anywhere near favourites yet. If season started tomorrow I'd guess scraping playoffs at very best.

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

At this a stage a minor miracle.

Whilst I accept our start last season badly impacted on us, I also don't remember seeing long periods of time where we thrashed teams or even dominated them. Were we ever in title winning form?

So whilst I expect an improvement this season, I can't see how just a little bit of stability and John Terry is going to be enough to make up a 30 odd point difference between the top two and us. In fact, even if you argue Terry improves the defence, I think it was one of the last areas that needed improving anyway. Our issue is clearly the midfield creativity and the link between them and the strikers - a seemingly ongoing issue.

So mindset, fitness and consistency may help but I don't think that'll currently be enough to make us anywhere near favourites yet. If season started tomorrow I'd guess scraping playoffs at very best.

Agree with you. Although I could see the 30 point gap being eaten into somewhat with a stronger mentality seeing out those games we were leading and then gave it away at the death. That could be worth 10-15 points over the season. Then for me fitness, confidence but also quality competition for every position will improve us greatly. Perhaps we lack this most at the moment on the wings and in goal. 

I think a good quality winger should be our priority to deal with the creativity options. Back when we had Milner, Young and Downing rotating on the wings we score so many goals! 

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Didn't take long for this thread to be screwed by the 6 or so anti-Bruce obsessives who seem to invade every thread these days.

I see one post that fits that

ha sorry there's three on page one lol.

but they are tiny in content.

theres a lot of good stuff in here really 

Edited by terrytini
My original comments were rubbish

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I see one post that fits that

ha sorry there's three on page one lol.

but they are tiny in content.

theres a lot of good stuff in here really 

There's a lot of good stuff I agree, and a lot of it makes sense. 

But you have to read through a series of 'Bruce out' posts to filter to the good stuff. Just like every bloody thread on villatalk. 

• Like 1

Turn draws into wins and definitely we need a stronger away mentality which will lead to more wins.

Under Bruce last year we had that terrible run in january which ruined any promotion hopes, then once we definitely couldn't get play offs the players went on the beach early. Therefore I don't think we were actually worth 30 points behind Newcastle (obviously the league table says different).

If we avoid a major slump and get more away wins we'll easily be there as the championship isn't that good. 

Hopefully the likes of Terry will help improve the mentality in the squad, and also the January signings get used to the size and expectations of the club and come out firing.

I honestly think we can go below 40 goals conceded.

The thread is titled

"Promotion 2017/18: What does it require?"

a straight question.

The holier than thou could write

"we have everything required"

Edited by Grasshopper

I think we require

1 a different manager than the one we have

2 different coaches

3 buy a better GK than SJ

4 get rid of players to free up wages and create funds so that ffp allows us to bring in quality players

5 play a type of football that will win us more games than everybody else, score more goals and conceed less than everybody else.

Maybe the most important change we could make at this club is for DrT to brew up a good strong coffee for everybody from Wyness, Round and downwards to smell

Enough of this second, third chance, beggars cant be choosers mentality.

We are Aston Villa one of the few Elite clubs in England.

We should be looking further down the riad than giving the likes of Gaby an umpteenth chance, a last payday for Richards & Hutton. The McC saga, RHM holding US to ransom over his contract. Bruce and his shit-for-staff who cant get the best out of our players, losing streaks, cant score unless Kodjia or Grealish do magic,

The attempt at Saving the Season by employing Bruce to get to the playoffs, then fail, a top 10 as target, then fail is completely unacceptable.

When is whoever owns this club gonna learn.?

people should be brought into this club to do a job AND succeed at it. Not any old hasbeen or "I'm not worthy freeloader"

It has to stop.

Get in - Do you job or F**** off back to obscurity.

No second chances

No excuses

We have the name, the reputation and the good will of DrT. We need shot of all these unacceptable shiesters and get in people, managers, staff & players who can deliver.

It starts at the very top and goes through every level and department of the club. 

No more failings

no more failures

Not up to it? Then F**** *** out of our club

MAYBE then we will have whats requires to get promotion

Edited by Grasshopper

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

We are Aston Villa one of the few Elite clubs in England.

We have the name, the reputation and the good will of DrT. We need shot of all these unacceptable shiesters and get in people, managers, staff & players who can deliver.

Having read this and a few other of your posts, I can see why our are so vehemently against Bruce and why you think all the players aren't good enough.

You still see us in the 80's as one of top sides in England. Whilst we are all proud of our history, unfortunately we are no longer a top side. We haven't won a trophy for over 20 years. In that period we have made the odd final and the odd push for a top 4 finish but at best we have been an upper mid table side. However due to years of mismanagement we now find ourselves in the second tier of English football and therefore have to set our sites accordingly. We cannot get by on reputation alone.

Your previous post re Holier than thou attitude could actually be right, in theory we do have everything in place now to achieve promotion. For me we have a manager and said very good for this league so it is in place to go up. We just need to improve the mentality of the players to get results needed. Hopefully we will get there as that's what we all want.

(Please don't take this as a personal attack as it's not meant that way.)

• Like 1

Be more attacking at home and more ruthless away. 

If we can manage to score a few more from set plays and midfield, we'll turn a lot of potential draws into wins.

most of all the players need to believe in themselves and have a positive approach to every game. 

• Like 1

Â