Feminism vs social justice

magnkarl

Instead of parents dealing with the fact that boys are more energetic than girls they are drugged, that is the sad truth.

Well, you've solved modern adolescent psychology. Are there any other subjects you'd like to put to rights, with a complete disregard for the idea that people who've spent years researching the subject might know more than you?

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, you've solved modern adolescent psychology. Are there any other subjects you'd like to put to rights, with a complete disregard for the idea that people who've spent years researching the subject might know more than you?

you mean so-called "experts"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

My teenage nephew has a couple of friends who live down the road from him who live with their mother who cannot handle them. Consequently, they're all doped up, and by dinnertime they are close to just falling asleep.

Camille Paglia falls into that group as well. The nerve of her to tell college girls to make smart choices at fraternity parties...

I heard the ruckus about Camille Pagila, didn't know she got banned too. Call it free speech, call it snowflakes being stupid. It's not helping young minds develop opinions of their own when they only see the part of the story that their surroundings allow them to.

I don't mind people calling me out on my discussion points however that might be old fashioned now a days.

Ritalin given to kids that don't need it is one of the plagues for young boys these days, I wish that doctors would actually go a bit deeper into the cases rather than taking said teacher/parent's word for it and prescribe drugs as soon as they can. It's much harder to try to get to the bottom of the problem of why a kid has energy..

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

I wish that doctors would actually go a bit deeper into the cases rather than taking said teacher/parent's word for it and prescribe drugs as soon as they can. It's much harder to try to get to the bottom of the problem of why a kid has energy..

That's the problem these days. Doctors are too quick at throwing these tablets at that problem and other tablets for whatever else. I'm depressed, well here you go take these. It's the same with kids too. My kid is a bit hypo, well ok then he's probably got blah blah so take these. I think there is more pressure these days, or should I say a different kind of pressure from times gone by, and I'd say more people are stressed these days. I know I certainly am but I try to avoid taking anything for my anxiety and stress.

I was hyper as a kid. Working with kids with ADHD, as an adult, I'm fairly sure I had it to an extent. However my parents wouldn't dream of putting me on pills.

Depression is a different beast. I've been on anti-depressants for anxiety twice, and they were a lifesaver.

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That's the problem these days. Doctors are too quick at throwing these tablets at that problem and other tablets for whatever else. I'm depressed, well here you go take these. It's the same with kids too

Yet I know a dozen people complaining that it takes many appointments over the course of months for doctors to prescribe them medication they feel that they need. It's as if you only ever hear from people dissatisfied with their experience.

One thing I'll tell you for sure, you don't just walk in  to a GP, claim to be depressed, and have drugs thrown at you. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Punishing modern men for our sexist dumbass ancestors outdated attitudes towards women will only antagonise modern men, not make them sympathise.

True equality needs to happen, there are long standinf issues that need to be solved but this current incarnation of ott positive action will only hurt that and create yet another divide. Modern militant feminism is no better than the male driven misogyny and sexism that they are fighting against and just creates a new problem instead of solving the current one.

I also believe that we need to separate the normal and sane real world societal attitude from that of the inflated morally 'faux outraged' social media/journalism attitude. Most rational and normal men and women actually want the same thing while these twitter/YouTube bellend sjw types (on both sides) that enjoy the sound of their own voices want the end of days.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I was hyper as a kid. Working with kids with ADHD, as an adult, I'm fairly sure I had it to an extent. However my parents wouldn't dream of putting me on pills.

Depression is a different beast. I've been on anti-depressants for anxiety twice, and they were a lifesaver.

Yeah I would probably be classed as hyper too these days. I got up at 4.30am, ate breakfast, went to swimming before school, then school, then football, then rugby and then in bed, I don't think people had as much time to be "hyper" if you know what I mean. Put that me infront of a TV for more than 3 hours and I would go mental.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I was on anti depressants and I just didn't feel comfortable on them so I stopped and I had a month of hell coming off them. I know I'm too stressed and I just deal with the tight throat and tight chest but sometimes I'm tempted to go and see the doc.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yet I know a dozen people complaining that it takes many appointments over the course of months for doctors to prescribe them medication they feel that they need. It's as if you only ever hear from people dissatisfied with their experience.

One thing I'll tell you for sure, you don't just walk in  to a GP, claim to be depressed, and have drugs thrown at you. 

Oh yes you do. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've walked into my GP's many a times and been sent out with pills in 5 mins flat. Your GP centre must be thorough. There's probably about 10k people going to my surgery though so they have no time to talk to their patients and pills are a quick bandaid.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was on anti depressants and I just didn't feel comfortable on them so I stopped and I had a month of hell coming off them. I know I'm too stressed and I just deal with the tight throat and tight chest but sometimes I'm tempted to go and see the doc.

depends on the level innit

second round of anxiety totally destroyed me for 2 weeks. Got on pills, got myself better, came off them.

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I've walked into my GP's many a times and been sent out with pills in 5 mins flat. Your GP centre must be thorough. There's probably about 10k people going to my surgery though so they have no time to talk to their patients and pills are a quick bandaid.

Same here. Been twice for depression and came out with pills. 

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Were you offered CBT or counselling too?

To be honest I can't fully remember but I don't think I was. Had a bit of a crazy spell in my early-mid 20s and had to see a psychiatrist and ive had other counselling but don't think I was offered it when I went to the docs about feeling depressed.

I've halved my Sertraline dose to .5mg, the lowest dose, but it still wreaks havoc on my sex drive. Thing is, it keeps a lid on my anxiety which had pushed me to the edge several years ago. Guess I've gone and fully taken this thread OT...

Another controversial issue with kids these days is vaccinations and what afflictions they may or may not inadvertently cause as a side effect. I'm not anti-vaccine, far from it, but I totally empathize with parents who have serious concerns with anything that is prescribed their children.

Edited by maqroll

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

depends on the level innit

second round of anxiety totally destroyed me for 2 weeks. Got on pills, got myself better, came off them.

Did you ween off the medication, or cold turkey? Also, (feel free to not answer) did it mess up your sex drive like mine has?

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Did you ween off the medication, or cold turkey? Also, (feel free to not answer) did it mess up your sex drive like mine has?

My sex drive went downhill. I literally had no feeling down below and it took me ages to ejaculate. Way off topic I know :D

Â