I can resist everything except temptation

Guest av1

49 minutes ago, av1 said:

Well then. I started a new job at the start of the month and all is going well. 

I got home today and I've received a letter from my former employer, thanking me for all my hard work over the last 12 months, and informing me that I've had a payrise. 

A little confused, i check my bank balance and I'm a couple of grand up, clearly I'm still on the payroll with my former employer (i am definitely not owed anything from them)

Now i know they can request it back once they realise their mistake, and i know the tax man will probably take my anal virginity once he gets wind. So i will pay it back but god its tempting. 

I wonder what Oscar Wilde would have done? 

Beaten the tax man to your anal virginity most likely ...

11 minutes ago, colhint said:

Buy premium bonds with it. If they come after you you can just cash them in, but you might get a nice win.

I bought £1000 worth for both of my kids when they were born 

12 years the boy has won nothing 

my daughter (10) won £25 this month , her first win 

I'd have got a better return if I'd spent the money on magic beans :)

You have to consider other repercussions too.

If your new employer gets wind of this, they probably wont look too kindly at you.

I once worked for a marketing firm doing a stupid guerrilla campaign for Philip Morris Co. I got paid twice the agreed fee...and I kept every penny. 

Edited by maqroll

You'd have to split the money with limpid and the site so he'd delete this ever growing chain of evidence of your guilt anyway, so you should probably own up to it and give it back ;)

Maybe diplomatically and casually mention it to your employers?

Not blurt it straight out, otherwise you will look like a dick. Foe example, if your boss is talking about how he enjoys a good paper clip, shepherd and coerce the conversation towards company stuff ups, and use it as an example, with the punchline " I am going to give it back anyway, because it is the right thing to do."

This will show them that you have integrity and credibility, and might buy you some credit for when you do eventually stuff up. :P

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I always thought it was finders keepers. 

So did i, but obviously not.

For many people finding a £20 note on the floor would be a bit of good luck.

But people have been warned they could be charged with theft after a shopper was convicted of pocketing a forgotten £20 note she found in a Midlands shop.

Here

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This happened to a girl at work.

Some money has appeared in her account, but not a former employer, she has no idea where from.

I told her to pay it back, she's holding on to it. I would be interested in the rules. Someone said if you can prove that you thought the money was yours and spent it then you can get away with it. Might be bollocks so for Jebus' sake check that out.

If it were me, I'd pay it back. But each to their own.

I think if you know it isn't yours then it is a criminal offence to spend it and you could face a custodial sentence.

I'd pay it back like you would. 

Â