I can resist everything except temptation

Guest av1

Well then. I started a new job at the start of the month and all is going well. 

I got home today and I've received a letter from my former employer, thanking me for all my hard work over the last 12 months, and informing me that I've had a payrise. 

A little confused, i check my bank balance and I'm a couple of grand up, clearly I'm still on the payroll with my former employer (i am definitely not owed anything from them)

Now i know they can request it back once they realise their mistake, and i know the tax man will probably take my anal virginity once he gets wind. So i will pay it back but god its tempting. 

I wonder what Oscar Wilde would have done? 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Well then. I started a new job at the start of the month and all is going well. 

I got home today and I've received a letter from my former employer, thanking me for all my hard work over the last 12 months, and informing me that I've had a payrise. 

A little confused, i check my bank balance and I'm a couple of grand up, clearly I'm still on the payroll with my former employer (i am definitely not owed anything from them)

Now i know they can request it back once they realise their mistake, and i know the tax man will probably take my anal virginity once he gets wind. So i will pay it back but god its tempting. 

I wonder what Oscar Wilde would have done? 

lovely bit of news if only....

would not blame you if you kept it but chances are they will probably try to reclaim it so you're probably doing the right thing. Very tempting though.

My missues bless her hasn't considerd repercussions, she's already spent half of it in her head. Shall i tell her tonight I'm giving it back ;)

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be tempted to keep hold of it until they ask for it back. Definitely don't spend it. But if they never get in touch to ask for it back...

The issue with that is how long it goes on. If its one cock up and realise their mistake in the week or 2, i could play dumb and claim.i thought i was maybe owed a month in hand. But what happens if the mistake is not picked up? (It is a huge company) what happens if they pay me next month aswell? I can't claim ignorance then. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Remember a story a few years back of a woman having one million pounds put in her bank by mistake. She tried to spend it asap before they caught on. I think she got done for it.

I remember reading a story a few weeks ago about some civil servant in spain. He had not been in to work for about 6yrs and no one had noticed :D

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Remember a story a few years back of a woman having one million pounds put in her bank by mistake. She tried to spend it asap before they caught on. I think she got done for it.

I'd be wiring it overseas and heading to a country without an extradition treaty with the UK :P 

Just now, av1 said:

I remember reading a story a few weeks ago about some civil servant in spain. He had not been in to work for about 6yrs and no one had noticed :D

Jammy git. Then again I'd only like to not work if I had plenty of cash to do stuff with. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be wiring it overseas and heading to a country without an extradition treaty with the UK :P 

Just looked at the countries which would be available to you and there are not too many I'd like to settle in.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Jammy git. Then again I'd only like to not work if I had plenty of cash to do stuff with. 

Only when Joaquín García, a Spanish civil servant, was due to collect an award for two decades of loyal and dedicated service did anyone realise that he had not, in fact, shown up to work for at least six years – and possibly as many as 14.

Guardian

Reminded me of this guy;

"A German civil servant has admitted that he "did nothing for 14 years" in frank retirement email sent to colleagues. The man, aged 65, sent a farewell message to 500 colleagues on his retirement day after learning his job was axed due to cuts. -"Since 1998, I was present but not really there. So I'm going to be well prepared for retirement – Adieu," he wrote, in an email leaked to the Westfalen-Post newspaper."

I would be tempted too but I would pay it back.

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Nasty fine he had.

I guess it depends on which side you look at from. The bloke didn't go to work for at least 6yrs, he was fined 1yrs salary. 

He is still up in my book. 

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just looked at the countries which would be available to you and there are not too many I'd like to settle in.

I think I could live in South Korea or Japan pretty comfortably with a million in the bank :P 

This happened to a girl at work.

Some money has appeared in her account, but not a former employer, she has no idea where from.

I told her to pay it back, she's holding on to it. I would be interested in the rules. Someone said if you can prove that you thought the money was yours and spent it then you can get away with it. Might be bollocks so for Jebus' sake check that out.

If it were me, I'd pay it back. But each to their own.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This happened to a girl at work.

Some money has appeared in her account, but not a former employer, she has no idea where from.

I told her to pay it back, she's holding on to it. I would be interested in the rules. Someone said if you can prove that you thought the money was yours and spent it then you can get away with it. Might be bollocks so for Jebus' sake check that out.

If it were me, I'd pay it back. But each to their own.

As you can imagine, I've done a little research on the matter today. I have the following:

• the employer must generally have made a representation of fact which led the employee to believe that he was entitled to treat that money as his own;
  • the employee must, in good faith, have “changed his position”, in other words spent some or all of the money;
  • the payment must not have been primarily caused by the fault of the employee

Here

Â