Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

14 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Not really sure what to make of this... what exactly do they mean by 'Sport'? I'm guessing all track cars? 

This is a track car based spin-off to tide people over because Gran Turismo 7 is taking an eternity to get finished. 

That said there is one thing that sets this apart from Gran Turismo and that is the physics model. The physics model in Gran Turismo Sport is that realistic that if you get the digital racing licence in GT: Sport it will be accepted at real Motorsport venues in 22 countries. So the best of the best players in GT: Sport won't just get the hardest to achieve racing licence for in-game kudos and recognition, but it will allow them to race on any FIA sanctioned race track in the world.   

This on face value having not played GT: Sport seems to be positioning the core Gran Turismo series as a game, with GT: Sport as more of a fully featured simulator akin to something pilots would use to practice flying. There will be FIA sanctioned tournaments in GT: Sport. There will be ways for the best racers in the game to earn a digital racing licence that in the eyes of the FIA is 100% official. So I'm not sure that Gran Turismo: Sport is for me as I can't even play Gran Turismo itself half the time with all the assists turned off, so I'm curious to see how it goes. I'm also curious to see how Polyphony Digital market this as it doesn't sound like a game from everything I've read about it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daweii said:

This is a track car based spin-off to tide people over because Gran Turismo 7 is taking an eternity to get finished. 

That said there is one thing that sets this apart from Gran Turismo and that is the physics model. The physics model in Gran Turismo Sport is that realistic that if you get the digital racing licence in GT: Sport it will be accepted at real Motorsport venues in 22 countries. So the best of the best players in GT: Sport won't just get the hardest to achieve racing licence for in-game kudos and recognition, but it will allow them to race on any FIA sanctioned race track in the world.   

This on face value having not played GT: Sport seems to be positioning the core Gran Turismo series as a game, with GT: Sport as more of a fully featured simulator akin to something pilots would use to practice flying. There will be FIA sanctioned tournaments in GT: Sport. There will be ways for the best racers in the game to earn a digital racing licence that in the eyes of the FIA is 100% official. So I'm not sure that Gran Turismo: Sport is for me as I can't even play Gran Turismo itself half the time with all the assists turned off, so I'm curious to see how it goes. I'm also curious to see how Polyphony Digital market this as it doesn't sound like a game from everything I've read about it. 

Wow, that is what I get for just looking at the pretty pictures.  This will be way out of my league for skill level then, especially as I don't have a steering wheel.  I can't imagine how hard it will be with a standard controller

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dubbs said:

It'll be harder than Michael Douglas's dick when he's at the Playboy mansion i reckon!

For reasons I don't even want to think about, the image you put in my head is of Alf's nose

alf.jpg

Edited by Straggler
no pic
  • Like 1

for me personally what set GT apart was the open path nature of it, you do your B license get a shit car, do some races, kev it up, win some more races, do another license, buy more cars, go off on a tangent and get your rally license, win some cars, go buy a mini cos you fancy doing the mini classic competition and the british compact car competition, win a super car, do an endurance race, decide that was a shit idea, go buy more cars...

its like crack

i love the "progression" of it all

take that away and it'll do nothing for me regardless of visuals and engine sounds etc

• Like 3

On 26/04/2017 at 13:16, Straggler said:

Wow, that is what I get for just looking at the pretty pictures.  This will be way out of my league for skill level then, especially as I don't have a steering wheel.  I can't imagine how hard it will be with a standard controller

There is still hope that it will have all the assists and stuff for those that aren't racing gods, but the lack of info to confirm or deny that leaves it all a mystery.

The fact that so many articles online keep talking up how this is for the elite players doesn't fill me with much confidence. Though that may just be the marketing approach and under it all is something everyone can play. Hopefully they talk about the game more from the standpoint of someone not playing it for FIA recognition, but just to enjoy a truly gorgeous racing game.

I'm in the same boat as you though. The game looks truly gorgeous, but if it is as all the previews so far have suggested it'll be so hard play. 

• 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Theres a graphics comparison video knocking about on Youtube involving this, forza, project cars and driveclub. Amazingly its Drive club from 2014 that actually looks the best.

To be fair that game was gorgeous. 

Just a shame it was garbage to play.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

*for the first few months.

After being patched into a proper fullynworking game its still by far ps4's best racer. Its a fantastic game.

It's not. Not by a country mile.

As a "racing" game, it is absolutely dreadful. You can't race on it.

As a game to do time trials only it's ok.

GTAV is a better "racing" game than Driveclub. Which says everything.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is actually rather bloody good, should not be £45 at all though, launch price should have been £25-£30. The handling, while having that familiar GT feel is actually different once you become tuned in, only way I can describe it is that it's less 'on rails' as previous, it's more chunky and weighty than what I remember of gt's of old. The graphics, once you've fine tuned the HDR settings are great, not quite as good as driveclub but it's still rather splendid to look at. Willow Springs looks great and racing at night/dusk looks gorgeous. 

So yeah, I'd recommend this but due to the lack of long term content I'd say wait for a price drop. Hopefully they add more tracks/cars and career events to this. 

Â