Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

Had an absolute nightmare on the FIA race at Kyoto Driving Park last night.

Practised for about an hour before the race. Had a pretty decent time (low 1:43) and a time like that in qualifying would have had me in the top 3.

But I completely fell apart in qualifying. I could not hook a whole lap up and ended up qualifying with a 1:50 in dead last.

Then in the race I calmed down. Fuel saved and worked my way up to 12th. Then just before the pits I got punted off by some dickhead and then couldn't recover. Lost my head.
Ended up finishing 18th and racked up a shit load of penalties. Dropped down a SR ranking as a result.

**** nightmare :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

I'm in one of those slumps at the moment where I just can't stop my SR from falling.

Look at this from today. Daily Race A. It's a boring race, but you only have to watch until the first corner. Tiny bit of contact, not my fault. You can barely even tell that we've touched.
Get a penalty. Fine. I can deal with that.
Then the rest of the race I don't even go near anyone. Yet at the end my SR goes down to B.

How is that fair? 1 corner of tiny contact followed by 7 laps of no contact or cutting or anything and it's negative SR. **** bullshit

Thank God those daily races are over. I don't think I did a single one of them this week without a negative SR.
Tried C last night with the sole intention of just tootling around and raising my SR. Made no effort to defend any moves, only overtook if there was an obvious chance.

Didn't work.

Twice someone outbraked themselves into the first hairpin, hit me and ended up going off the track, which the game determines is my fault. 4 second penalty. And enough to give me a negative SR.

I'm now a low B. I was a 99 S at the start of the week!

Unfortunately the races this week don't seem that great either. One make at Red Bull Ring (short). I usually avoid them. They are SR nightmares.

Race B is the **** Blue Moon Bay Speedway, which is shit (oval racing)

Final race is Gr4 at Maggiore which to be fair won't be too bad. Will be a good opportunity to get good at that track.

Looks like they're jumping straight into another FIA season this week.

Would suggest anyone to give them a go.

They're only 6 rounds this time, meaning they'll be over in 3 weeks. But the tracks look pretty favourable so it should be good fun.

My one complaint about them is they do both the nations cup and manufacturer series on the same night (wednesdays and saturdays). I like to get a lot of practise in for these and it doesn't leave you much time (although I guess the logic is you can use the days before to practise... but I never do :D)

Anyway, have a go.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Looks like they're jumping straight into another FIA season this week.

Would suggest anyone to give them a go.

They're only 6 rounds this time, meaning they'll be over in 3 weeks. But the tracks look pretty favourable so it should be good fun.

My one complaint about them is they do both the nations cup and manufacturer series on the same night (wednesdays and saturdays). I like to get a lot of practise in for these and it doesn't leave you much time (although I guess the logic is you can use the days before to practise... but I never do :D)

Anyway, have a go.

On this point, it seems they've introduced different tyres to the FIA races this season.

You can now, apparently, choose medium or hard in those races (it's usually just been hard for sport races and FIA races. The choice of soft and super soft has been reserved for lobbies only). 
Will add another layer of strategy to those races.

Finally another win. This time on an FIA race :D

Wasn't the strongest lobby, but still really chuffed. 

Qualified P2 and thought the guy in first would beat me as he was pulling away. But then he **** up and turned out he was on soft tyres at the start anyway (I was on medium).
The addition of tyre choices is really interesting.

Check out the bullshit penalty at 9:55. That could have cost me the victory!

Edited by Stevo985

Gr4 on Dragontrail Seaside is the combo for the FIA Manufacturers' Cup race tonight.

Might be a good one for anyone who hasn't tried an FIA race yet as we all know that track pretty well!

Word of warning, the focus of the FIA races this test season has very much been on tyres. The last proper season you only had one tyre choice and it was all about fuel saving. They'd set fuel usage high and so you had to think about fuel strategy.
This time they've flipped it. you have loads of fuel so you don't need to worry, but you get a tyre choice, and tyre wear is HIGH. Supersofts are available on Seaside tonight but tyre wear is set to x5, so my guess is they'll go off very very quickly!

Just something to think about if anybody fancies giving it a blast.

Cheers Stevo.  Tbh I don't know much about the effect different tyres have. I've not really worried about it because I've always focused on learning tracks and using manual transmission. 

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Cheers Stevo.  Tbh I don't know much about the effect different tyres have. I've not really worried about it because I've always focused on learning tracks and using manual transmission. 

Basically, the softer the tyre, the more grip you have (and therefore the faster you are) but the quicker they wear out.

So on the weekend (video above) it was a 7 lap race on Kyoto Driving Park (the long version).

You could have a Medium tyre or a Soft tyre.
The soft was about a second and a half (for me) faster than the medium. But I could only get 3 laps out of it before it was too worn for any grip.
The medium was slower, but I could get 4 laps out of it no problem.

So that was the tradeoff. I started on mediums and changed after 4 laps to do a shorter stint on softs.

If in doubt I'd say just go for the harder compound and pit halfway through the race.  

Argh!

I'm so annoyed with myself.

Did that FIA race tonight. Qualified in 11th, which isn't great (I don't think the Nissan is well suited to that track)

At the last second I thought **** it, and stucj the SuperSoft tyres on and decided to go for a 2 stopper (could barely get 4 laps out of a set)

I reckon everybody else must have had harder tyres on, because I was 2nd in 2 laps, absolutely rinsing everyone.

Did my pit stop, and stayed ahead of everyone else after they stopped. The guy in 3rd probably would have overtaken me when I took my 2nd stop, but I reckon I'd have stayed ahead of everyone else and would have had a chance of catching 2nd as his tyres wore out (1st place was long gone)

But then right before my 2nd stop, I absolutely **** the chicane of death. Smashed into the wall. Which not only lost me 4 or 5 seconds for that lap, but damage was on, so it also cost me an extra 6 seconds in the pits to repair it. So all my good work was undone.

Finished 8th, but right behind a a pack of cars that went all the way up to 3rd. I'd have definitely been in front of them if I hadn't had to repair my car.

Frustrating, but the different tyres make it so interesting!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Slightly annoyed that I didn't get a proper chance to try this last night.  Started the practise about half 7 but just kept messing up on the chicane of death . Ended up dropping down to 4th gear to make it cleanly through but that ruins any chance of a quick time. Got frustrated, turn it off. Wish I'd stuck at it now!

37 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Slightly annoyed that I didn't get a proper chance to try this last night.  Started the practise about half 7 but just kept messing up on the chicane of death . Ended up dropping down to 4th gear to make it cleanly through but that ruins any chance of a quick time. Got frustrated, turn it off. Wish I'd stuck at it now!

I was the same, and ended up just dabbing the brakes and changing down to 4th like you did to get through. That worked most of the time. You're right it meant you couldn't get a really quick time, but it was the safer option for the race.

Unfortunately one of my laps my tyres had gone off so much that it just wouldn't turn in. I was literally full on the brakes and just went straight on :D 

I'm still annoyed

@dubbs have a go the next one. It's every saturday and wednesday.

Got nothing to lose. They're really fun. Plus they are a SR goldmine if you race clean. The 10 minutes qualifying counts towards your SR too so there's loads up for grabs.

I've gone from C to a high S in basically two races

Â