7th could have been enough......?

Grasshopper

So if Newcastle have done some serious stuff wrong with this Tax and NI contributions stuff they may get anything from being fined, pts reduction or refused entry to the PL.

Effectively, that could mean 3rd place gets Automatic promotion and 4th-7th qualify for the playoffs.

Where are we in the table? Why, if we couldnt get 6th, are we not 7th.

The old adage, aim high, see how far you get, may have got us somewhere if Toon get stripped.

I'll be even more annoyed than I already am about this seasons complete F****up

Edited by Grasshopper

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

So if Newcastle have done some serious stuff wrong with this Tax and NI contributions stuff they may get anything from being fined, pts reduction or refused entry to the PL.

The last two options marked in bold won't happen. They might get a fine. Nothing to see here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The last two options marked in bold won't happen. They might get a fine. Nothing to see here.

The powers that be have been looking for a big scalp to make an example of for a while, when it comes to financial irregularities. With the low esteem Mike Ashley is held in (mostly not relating to Newcastle, granted), I could see Newcastle being the victims of this. Their saving grace is the fact that they're a big draw, and attract larger TV audiences, which is ultimately what the money men want.  

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's basically no precedent for this. We'll see.

I'd be shocked if the Football league or Premier League did anything here in the way of points deductions. They are inept organisations with no backbone and won't want any negative PR from something like tax fraud. Sweep it under the carpet and remind every one that Newcastle are a "Big Club" and the West Ham play football the "Right Way". Remember they are everyone's second or third favourite teams and everyone wants to see them win something.

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

180 officers investigating this. That's absolutely HUGE. These clubs would have had a financial advantage over clubs that do pay their taxes. I can easily see points deductions here. Where's my popcorn! Let's hope Karen Brady has her filthy trotters in some of this.

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

The powers that be have been looking for a big scalp to make an example of for a while, when it comes to financial irregularities.

Have they? It looks to me like they don't want anything to do with how clubs operate financially and barely enforce the terrible FFP rules that they have now. Leyton Orient, Leeds, Millwall, Blackpool, etc. are all examples of clubs with serious issues that are widely known and the football league do nothing of note. It'll be the same with Newcastle. 

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Got a bad feeling...

"HMRC said a few months ago that 43 players, 12 clubs in British leagues, and 8 agents were being investigated"

What, a bad feeling about us? Has there been anything anywhere linking us with this investigation?

3 minutes ago, Godders said:

What, a bad feeling about us? Has there been anything anywhere linking us with this investigation?

None yet. But 12 British clubs being investigated, French link.... I only hope Tom Fox was too inept to have been capable of fraud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

None yet. But 12 British clubs being investigated, French link.... I only hope Tom Fox was too inept to have been capable of fraud.

It may be misplaced naivety, but I can only conclude that it takes a certain amount of skill and foresight to carry out a fraud like this. 

Based on the skill and foresight the previous setup showed in running this club, I can only conclude that we have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Does anybody really want Newcastle in this division we are desperately trying to get out of next season ? 

They won't be denied promotion.  There's no way.  That punishment alone could come to hundreds of millions all things considered.  I'd say the very very worst that could come to them would be starting next season on negative points.  But I doubt even that would happen tbh.

All IMHO.