• Grealish
    • Hogan
    • Agbonlahor (Grealish 59)
    • Gardner (Adomah 76)
    • Hourinhane (Hogan 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Terrible match but what a winner and atmosphere. Baker MOTM. I am a bit concerned over Lansbury as he is not the play maker I hope he would be so far at Villa. Is this down to Bruce's tactics? Hogan looks lost, we don't know how to play with him up top on his own.  We can't play like that next season and expect to get promotion. 

On a spurious side note have Villa given up selling the extra corner seats of the Holte next to Witton Lane? They were empty today as well as the Burton one even though the game was a 'sell out'. Are they considered obstructed views? Also as we are going to lose seats in the Lower North for disabled seats I wonder if today will be the last 40,000 crowd at Villa for some time? 

• Like 1

And having re-read your Post I'm confused brinyear

Where has anyone in this thread said the stuff you've come up with ?

I think we defended well but were poor overall.

Taking the way you describe things I'm glad you thought we dominated the game, had so many chances, and waltzed effortlessly to our 35th consecutive win.

There I can grossly distort what people have said too !! Clever me !!

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Still spine tingling .

My God imagine if we could generate half that noise in games.

( I speak as a frustrated 90 minute singer who just can't understand why more don't do it)

Stunning.

If that was the Kop we'd never hear the last of it,

• Like 2

Went today - I'm being kind to say it was mediocre until Gabby came on and fired the place up.

First he replaced the ineffective Grealish who seemed to try and beat one player too many and lose the ball constantly.

As Gabby ran on and out to the wing his first contribution was to shoulder barge a blues player for no reason lol. 

Then he chased a couple of lost causes and got us a throw ....when they didn't give him the ball to take a quick free kick I honestly thought he was going to start a fight and was worried he was so wound up he'd get another yellow and get sent off...but it ignited the crowd, so thank goodness he scored which seemed to calm him down.

He actually won more headers and flick-ons during his time on the pitch than Hogan did. I don't get to go to many games these days so was surprised how negative we seem to have become.  

Chester , Baker Hutton were all solid I thought and was impressed with Taylor who is a massive upgrade on Amavi for me

Jedinak is a warrior but slow...I don't really see Lansbury , Bacuna , Adomah, Hourihane , Grealish as promotion winning material next season the way they've played today 

At least we won and the ship is slowly turning after the horror show of last season. 

• Like 3

Today was all about the result ,performances will have to improve to get promotion next season but we have god a solid defence now which is something to build on have strikers that will score goals at this level it's just to get a bit of creativity into the side we are getting there slowly but we are getting there.

Game was poor, but the 3 points paper over the cracks, give us even greater bragging rights and hopefully send them down. Next season SB has a lot to prove to us, as the football has been turgid, I will allow him this season (big of me I know), as he has had to clean up another mess. However, next season I want to see us attacking teams and playing football we deserve to see for the money we have spent.

Purely out of interest as I was in the North Stand today, but was the Holte End quiet? we couldn't really hear it when the North Stand was quiet.

58 minutes ago, steve1986 said:

Purely out of interest as I was in the North Stand today, but was the Holte End quiet? we couldn't really hear it when the North Stand was quiet.

Fairly quiet for long periods, but the loudest I've heard it for a long time when it did get going.

I didn't hear a peep out of the noses from where I was.

Thought it was actually a decent game today, although that may have just been the atmosphere blinding me.

We certainly controlled the game, without having too many efforts on goal. 

Biggest positives for me was seeing Villa Park like that, what a club we are when we can be bothered. And the result clearly meant something to the players - there was finally a connection with the fans.

Gabby scoring was spine tingling, I will try to remember these moments when he leaves the club.

Hutton was an absolute colossus today, he won't win the MOTM award on here, but he was everywhere. Brilliant.

Final shout out to the referee, it was probably the best refereeing performance I have seen this season for us. By some distance. They get blasted so should give credit when it is due.

Above average day out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

That's a bit of a contradiction.

Well in my confused little world football consists of a whole multitude of facets.

At it's most simple many would agree that there is a minimum of defence, midfield and attack. 

So to be good at one could still leave a side poor overall.

Or one could say that needing to defend very well maybe been caused by being poor overall ?

Know what ? I've seen countless games where Managers have said they created good chances but were generally poor, or defended well but poor up top.

I guess if I'd just wanted to squabble with them I could've said such statements contradict each other but idve been doing it for the hell of it, since I, and most others, would've known what they meant.

Interestingly the seven or eight guys I was chatting to throughout the game also thought we were poor overall, but defending well, and none of us puzzled each other or suggested there was a contradiction.

I don't think we played very well. If you do, great.

3 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Thought it was actually a decent game today, although that may have just been the atmosphere blinding me.

We certainly controlled the game, without having too many efforts on goal. 

Biggest positives for me was seeing Villa Park like that, what a club we are when we can be bothered. And the result clearly meant something to the players - there was finally a connection with the fans.

Gabby scoring was spine tingling, I will try to remember these moments when he leaves the club.

Hutton was an absolute colossus today, he won't win the MOTM award on here, but he was everywhere. Brilliant.

Final shout out to the referee, it was probably the best refereeing performance I have seen this season for us. By some distance. They get blasted so should give credit when it is due.

Above average day out.

Dont know why you think we controlled the game...

We had less posession

We had less time in the attacking 3rd

We had less shots overall

We had less shots on target

We created less chances

We had a lower pass success rate

We lost more 50/50 and one on ones

We had a lower tackle success rate

So i really dont see how we controlled anything...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

I thought the policing was a bit over the top again today. Blocking off Witton Lane for 2,000 Noses left Villa fans who sit in the Holte End or the Scottish Stand who normally walk down Witton Lane to take their seats with a walk around the ground to get to their seats. After the game fans were also blocked from going down Witton Road by Witton island and the ticket office was shut. Why not keep the Noses in the ground for 20 minutes and give them the Gabby goal to watch again and again on the screens with We'll meet again by Vera Lynn being played at full blast during those 20 minutes? Still it looks like we might not have this issue next season! :D   

It's a massive inconvenience but WMP have found a method which works for them. So if we do play next season, expect the same unfortunately.

The plans were pretty well advertised on social media though.

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

It's a massive inconvenience but WMP have found a method which works for them. So if we do play next season, expect the same unfortunately.

The plans were pretty well advertised on social media though.

What the Police actually did was, keep Villa fans back (despite being the home team) and stopped me from getting the train, the bus and walking back to my friend's car. I was held at the Witton roundabout for ages until they opened up Witton Lane. I did try and walk away from the ground 'the long way round,' but not being a local, I didn't really know where I was going. I asked a Police Officer at Tesco and she just said 'I think it's further along the road, and off to the right...'

'You think?' I replied in total disgust. Police should be briefed on all the exit routes... You can't tell a day tripper that 'you think' it's this or that way. I told her that all the police were doing was pushing any likely trouble further away from the ground. As somebody who knows one or two routes back to the car (not the way we were being pushed by the Police), to be directed so far away made me feel more at risk of something kicking off.

Totally uncalled for and as John right said, could have been solved by keeping them in the ground for twenty minutes extra homage to our colourful seats.

I'll be writing to the MP. If that's how they want to treat me as a HOME fan next season (if they stay up), I shall stay away and claim the refund from the Police Chief. 

Â