Ugo Ehiogu

dounavilla

RIP Ugo, a fantastic player for us over the years and should have won more England Caps than he did. Such sad news for him to die at such a young age, I remember his debut versus Norwich, and it says alot about the man that he overcome that start to have a very succesful career, as that would have finished a lot of people. I am feeling very tearful today after hearing this news and watching the Merson video has not helped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam100 said:

A happy photo from the BBC website. Celebrating winning the league cup. 

The mid-90s was some team. 

_95730887_ehiogu-villaceleb.jpg

Not to be pedantic but that isnt Wembley. I'm assuming its the semi-final against Arsenal.

Absolutely devastated.  

FRT have 90 people going to Dortmund and Ajax on our final tour of the season and every single person on the trip will be wearing a t-shirt with Ugo on the front at both games.

Loved the guy. 

RIP big man. ;(

Edited by One For The Road

I think Steve Bruce is having a brain-fart, he reckons he played against Ugo in the 1994 League Cup Final, I'm pretty sure Teale and McGrath were centre halves that day.

Anyhow, I remember watching Ugo's first game against Norwich, had a nightmare, and remember thinking he'll never make it - the big man proved me wrong!!

RIP Ugo

15 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

I think Steve Bruce is having a brain-fart, he reckons he played against Ugo in the 1994 League Cup Final, I'm pretty sure Teale and McGrath were centre halves that day.

Anyhow, I remember watching Ugo's first game against Norwich, had a nightmare, and remember thinking he'll never make it - the big man proved me wrong!!

RIP Ugo

Correct , although Ugo celebrated on the pitch after he wasn't in the 14 man squad on the day so Bruce is wrong on that one .

ugo was a man mountain of a defender in an era when we had some great defenders in our club - he was rightly up there with the best .

Shocking news about Ugo. My favourite years as a Villa fan were when Ugo played alongside Gareth Southgate and God. I loved watching Villa back then and win or lose we always seemed to try as a team. Ugo was a great footballer and was a goal threat as well as a great defender. You only have to read all of the tributes today to realise just what a great man Ugo was and there's no doubting the football world has lost a real talent.

RIP big man. You have been taken far too early and you will be sorely missed! :(

back in the day ..me & some pals used to go to the clubs on hagley road, ugo was out most times with bozzi,york,neil cox, fenton.. we chatted with them regular & ugo was a real gent & pleasure, he bought us a round of beers once in liberties , real down to earth bloke.

such a shame

rip big man

Met him at Water World of all places when I was a bit younger. First time I'd ever met a player and was a bit awe struck. Colossus of  man and seemed like a genuinely good bloke. RIP. Hopefully we can put in a performance for him to be proud of. 

38 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Here's the link to the video of Merse interview, if you can call it that.  He's absolutely heartbroken.  Ironically, it's perhaps the first time that Merse has been able to accurately sum up a situation...  No platitudes, or generic praise - genuine grief.

The inability to find the words say more than the words ever could.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10845094/paul-merson-pays-tribute-to-former-aston-villa-team-mate-ugo-ehiogu

:( Heartbreaking.

Â