Ugo Ehiogu

dounavilla

Like many others he was a part of my favourite Villa team ever, that being, the one I supported as a kid.

Oddly my first thought of him isn't one of him in a Villa shirt at all. It's of him scoring that overhead kick for Rangers against Celtic.

I also saw him score for England at VP in Sven's first game in charge against Spain.

Top dude, RIP

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Remember watching his debut against Norwich and thinking he was way out of his depth. How wrong I was as he was an excellent defender and was a rock alongside Macca and Southgate.

Shocking if it is a heart attack at 44 and puts things into perspective for me as I am only a year younger.

Good luck to the big fella.

I brought this up in the pre match Norwich thread ,had absolutely no idea, a couple of weeks later we'd be mourning his loss . Heard it this morning on the radio, can't get my breath , " big Ugo " , you'll be sorely missed, 

RIP Holte Enders In The Sky. 

10 minutes ago, darrenm said:

That's what I'm wondering. How does a professional footballer get to 44 without it being diagnosed?

Heart issues within football have only just started being picked up in club medicals. Look at Muamba - it wasn't that long ago really.

What a guy Final tweet. life just isn't fair

Ugo Ehiogu died this morning aged 44 after collapsing at Tottenham's training ground on Thursday.

Tributes have been pouring in for the former Aston Villa and Middlesbrough footballer after the club confirmed his passing earlier today.

Ehiogu's last tweet, posted last month, urged people to do something kind after giving £10 to the homeless in Dalston. 

Gave a homeless girl £10 last night in Dalston.She didn't ask or beg.Random impulsive act from me. Not gona lie. Felt good.#dosomethingkind

•  

Former team-mate Lee Hendrie, who played with Ehiogu at Villa Park and with Sheffield United ,paid tribute on Sky Sports: "This is an absolute shock, to think this could happen to a man of his fitness and age. It is devastating, crazy.

"He was such a character, bubbly and would help anyone. He was a great guy to have around and never had problems with anyone. He was a gentle giant."

Ugo Ehiogu of Aston Villa is surrounded by fans after the Coca Cola Cup semi-final against Arsenal in 1996
Ugo Ehiogu of Aston Villa is surrounded by fans after the Coca Cola Cup semi-final against Arsenal in 1996 CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Boro said they were "deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing" and Mark Schwarzer, who played with Ehiogu at the Riverside, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "He loved the game and he was really respected at Tottenham. It was a pleasure to play with him."

Former club Aston Villa will hold a minute's applause ahead of their derby with Birmingham on Sunday.

• Like 1

Last away day and home game should be a big tribute and celebration of life for Ugo,Dalian and Graham Taylor plus all the other villa fans who have lost their lives this year.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

Â