On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We've covered this before, but it was a bloody miracle that none of my mates were involved. We actually discussed going to the Tavern in the Town that night, but finally decided not to. 

My Mom and Dad were out in Brum that night although luckily elsewhere in town. My Dad was stopped by the Police later that night and questioned when dropping my Mom back at her parents (they lived by Edgbaston reservoir). I think they were stopping a lot of people though in the hope of hearing an Irish accent! 

It was the incident that convinced my Dad to sign up to the force a few months later. 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2019 at 14:00, choffer said:

In my head this is a relatively recent album.

You've just reminded me that this is another of those albums that has been lost to my collection over the years. Added to the list of records that need replacing.

• Like 1

Released 29 years ago today!

Released 40 years ago. It seems mad that one was 29 and the other 40, yet they seem like they were relaesed abosolutely aeons apart. Yet it was only 11 years difference

R-526569-1395238658-2901.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Xela said:

25 years ago 

I'll never forget that night. Most of the country just had rain, but West Yorkshire was in the grip of a whiteout blizzard. My drive home from work - normally 35 minutes - took me six hours. I was listening to the radio commentary on that match during my snow crawl. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'll never forget that night. Most of the country just had rain, but West Yorkshire was in the grip of a whiteout blizzard. My drive home from work - normally 35 minutes - took me six hours. I was listening to the radio commentary on that match during my snow crawl. 

I was down VP with my Dad. Can't remember who we played but when we got back to the car, it was the only thing Radio 5 were talking about!

Yesterday:

Auschwitz survivors return after 75 years for memorial ceremony

More than 200 survivors gathered at the former Nazi extermination camp of Auschwitz, many probably for the final time, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of its liberation.

As rows over the make-up of the international guest list at the memorial ceremony threatened to overshadow Monday’s event, survivors who drew on harrowing memories of their incarceration warned the lessons from the atrocities sanctioned by Adolf Hitler’s administration and carried out often by ordinary Germans were in danger of being forgotten.

... rest of article on link

Also a thread and a link to a video of the speech transcribed in the thread:

Edited by snowychap

Released 29 years ago today!

qFOP3Dz.jpg

couple of my mates shared a house together and I'd quite often swing by on my way home  .... they would usually have this on the turntable , tin foil with lots of random holes punched in it t over the TV  for a light show and a substance of some description inside them

Drugs weren't my thing but i still used to join them on the sofa staring at the lightshow  ,listening to this album anyway .... so this record always brings back some memories 

On 28/01/2020 at 11:35, tonyh29 said:

couple of my mates shared a house together and I'd quite often swing by on my way home  .... they would usually have this on the turntable , tin foil with lots of random holes punched in it t over the TV  for a light show and a substance of some description inside them

Drugs weren't my thing but i still used to join them on the sofa staring at the lightshow  ,listening to this album anyway .... so this record always brings back some memories 

That was pretty similar to my late teens but Underworld’s Dubnobasswithmyheadman was my mates drug album of choice! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hillsborough Disaster 1989

One of the first major events/disasters I can remember (along with Lockerbie). I can picture the afternoon now. Where I was, the weather even, and the look of horror from people around me when the news was breaking :( 

Edited by Xela

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

One of the first major events/disasters I can remember (along with Lockerbie). I can picture the afternoon now. Where I was, the weather even, and the look of horror from people around me when the news was breaking :( 

Me too. I remember being absolutely worried sick for a few friends I knew were there and then the realisation that I turned down the chance to go a few days before. Unlike the year before when I actually went to the same game. Then the relief when I knew my friends were safe... then it dawns on you that not everyone was coming home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Me too. I remember being absolutely worried sick for a few friends I knew were there and then the realisation that I turned down the chance to go a few days before. Unlike the year before when I actually went to the same game. Then the relief when I knew my friends were safe... then it dawns on you that not everyone was coming home.

Days if not years before mobile phones and I still remember now trying to get in touch with my brother who I thought had gone to the game.  Never spent so many 5p’s in public phone boxes

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Hillsborough Disaster 1989

Lincoln assassinated, Titanic sinks, Nazis kill a thousand people in the Belfast Blitz, and the Boston Marathon bombing. Bad old day, this.

Though I do hope Tom Heaton had a good birthday.

• Like 1

Â