On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

The whole Patagonian Welsh thing is incredible. How many generations, now? And they still speak Welsh, play rugby, hold eisteddfods, the whole bit. 

One of my mates goes over there fairly regular. He's in to his languages and he's done a load of research on the way the language has evolved. It's a bit of a comparison with what happens when you have one common base, but then one branch has 150 years of english influence and the other has 150 years of spanish.

But then this is a guy that can also speak Cornish!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Isaac Singer's first patent for his improvements to the sewing machine was granted on this day 168 years ago in 1851.

330px-Edward_Harrison_May_-_Isaac_Merrit

Isaac Merritt Singer (October 27, 1811 – July 23, 1875) was an American inventor, actor, and businessman. He made important improvements in the design of the sewing machine and was the founder of what became one of the first American multi-national businesses, the Singer Sewing Machine Company. Many others, including Walter Hunt and Elias Howe had patented sewing machines before Singer, but his success was based on the practicality of his machine, the ease with which it could be adapted to home use, and its availability on an instalment payment basis.

Singer died in 1875, a millionaire dividing his $14 million fortune unequally among 20 of his children by his wives and various mistresses; for one son who supported his first wife in her divorce case, only getting $500.

In 1871, Singer purchased an estate and settled with Isabella in Paignton, Devon, England. He commissioned a 110 roomed Oldway Mansion as his private residence, with a hall of mirrors, maze and grotto garden; it was rebuilt by Paris Singer, his third son from Isabella, in the style of the Palace of Versailles. And the area became known locally as 'Singerton'. It has been named by the Victorian Society as a heritage building at risk of disrepair.

Isaac Singer died in 1875, shortly after the wedding of his daughter by Mary Eastwood Walters, Alice, whose dress had cost as much as a London apartment. His funeral was an elaborate affair with eighty horse-drawn carriages, and around 2000 mourners, to see him buried locally, at his request in three layers of coffin (cedar lined with satin, lead, English oak with silver decoration) and a marble tomb.

375px-Singer_grave.jpg

(Singer's grave in Torquay Cemetery)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Singer

1344px-Oldway_panorama.jpg

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 2

RIP big man - 3 years to the day

OS

AtkinsonFirstDayMain.ashx?h=720&la=en&mw

On this day in 1992, Villa played their first match in the newly-formed FA Premier League.

Dalian Atkinson had the distinction of scoring our first Premier League goal, his late equaliser earning a 1-1 draw against Ipswich Town at Portman Road. 

The two subsequent home games also ended 1-1 – with Atkinson scoring against both Leeds United and Southampton.

Edited by MickeyC_UTV
just realised it's been 3 years
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

RIP big man - 3 years to the day

OS

AtkinsonFirstDayMain.ashx?h=720&la=en&mw

On this day in 1992, Villa played their first match in the newly-formed FA Premier League.

Dalian Atkinson had the distinction of scoring our first Premier League goal, his late equaliser earning a 1-1 draw against Ipswich Town at Portman Road. 

The two subsequent home games also ended 1-1 – with Atkinson scoring against both Leeds United and Southampton.

3 years and still no trial, hearing or explanation :( RIP big man

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Shudder. I was twelve at the time, and it shocked me to the core. Still does, actually. 

My Grandfather and Mother still talked about it well into the '80s. I think it was profoundly etched into the Welsh Psyche for generations and possibly still is to a degree

I was a small kid at the time. It was the first time I understood something  important had happened in the news. Shocking. Some years later I moved to a village just outside Chester. Last village before wales. In a short time I learned about the Gresford mining disaster. It was the next village along, only half a mile away. This happened in the 30's. 266 died, I could see the remnants of the mine from my house. It was beautifully done, bit of a shrine really. 

The legacy of spoil tipping above towns is still very real for those valleys mining communities.

This last summer they’ve closed a school as the coal spoil above it was re categorised as at medium risk of coming down on Graig Primary School. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I remember it, but it could be through years of repetition. I’d have been in junior school, but with lots of relatives in the forces in and around Birmingham (hence Villa) so it was a significant event for a lot of the extended family.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

21st Nov 1974

Birmingham pub bombings

21 dead

We've covered this before, but it was a bloody miracle that none of my mates were involved. We actually discussed going to the Tavern in the Town that night, but finally decided not to. 

9 years ago today, my favourite album of all time was released and I became a Kanye Stan. 

Let’s have toast for the Douchebags 

giphy.gif

One for @Stevo985 as the only other Kanye fan I know of on here. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

Â