On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

On a less sombre note 52 years ago....

Mariner 5 (Mariner Venus 1967) was a spacecraft of the Mariner program that carried a complement of experiments to probe Venus' atmosphere by radio occultation, measure the hydrogen Lyman-alpha (hard ultraviolet) spectrum, and sample the solar particles and magnetic field fluctuations above the planet. Its goals were to measure interplanetary and Venusian magnetic fields, charged particles, plasma, radio refractivity and UV emissions of the Venusian atmosphere.

Mariner 5 was actually built as a backup to Mariner 4, but after the success of the Mariner 4 mission, it was modified for the Venus mission by removing the TV camera, reversing and reducing the four solar panels, and adding extra thermal insulation.

Liftoff took place on June 14, 1967 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 12 on Atlas vehicle 5401. Booster performance was normal through the Atlas portion of the launch and the first Agena burn, with all systems operating at the proper level. During the second Agena burn, abnormal fluctuations in the engine chamber pressure occurred, however they did not preclude successful interplanetary injection. There had been several occurrences of this behavior on previous NASA and Air Force launches and a program was initiated to correct it which led to a redesign of the Agena turbopump gearbox. Mariner 5 flew by Venus on October 19 that year at an altitude of 3,990 kilometers (2,480 mi). With more sensitive instruments than its predecessor Mariner 2, Mariner 5 was able to shed new light on the hot, cloud-covered planet and on conditions in interplanetary space.

Radio occultation data from Mariner 5 helped to understand the temperature and pressure data returned by the Venera 4 lander, which arrived at Venus shortly before it. After these missions, it was clear that Venus had a very hot surface and an atmosphere even denser than expected.

The operations of Mariner 5 ended in November 1967 and it is now defunct in a heliocentric orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_5

Mariner_5.jpg

The Mariner program was a 10-mission program conducted by the American space agency NASA in conjunction with Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). The program launched a series of robotic interplanetary probes, from 1962 to 1973, designed to investigate Mars, Venus and Mercury. The program included a number of firsts, including the first planetary flyby, the first planetary orbiter, and the first gravity assist maneuver.

Of the ten vehicles in the Mariner series, seven were successful, forming the starting point for many subsequent NASA/JPL space probe programs. The planned Mariner Jupiter-Saturn vehicles were adapted into the Voyager program, while the Viking program orbiters were enlarged versions of the Mariner 9 spacecraft. Later Mariner-based spacecraft include the Magellan probe and the Galileo probe, while the second-generation Mariner Mark II series evolved into the Cassini–Huygens probe. The total cost of the Mariner program was approximately $554 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_program

9 hours ago, choffer said:

dfpOVh3.jpg

It didn't help it's cause by being built using piss poor weak metal material and setting sail even though they knew a coal bunker had been on fire for days prior to it setting off, thus weakening the ship and the impact of the iceberg caused the rip in the already weakened metal. 

On 14/06/2019 at 23:17, snowychap said:

Hickie's 405* was a better knock. :)

The reason why I supported Worcestershire!

I remember it hitting the national news and that was me hooked by Hick as a player initially and then the Pears as a team. 

Persuaded my Dad to take me to New Road a few times every school holiday. :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

The reason why I supported Worcestershire!

I remember it hitting the national news and that was me hooked by Hick as a player initially and then the Pears as a team. 

Persuaded my Dad to take me to New Road a few times every school holiday. :)

Remember him well. I don’t know why I supported Lancashire, but I was massively into them at one point. Atherton was the captain at the time . 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Remember him well. I don’t know why I supported Lancashire, but I was massively into them at one point. Atherton was the captain at the time . 

Great one day team back them - Athers, Fairbrother, Lloyd, Austin, Watkinson, Hegg, Wasim Akram, Martin, Chapple, etc.

I seem to recall Wasim breaking Worcester hearts in a one day game... may have been a semi? I'm sure @snowychap will remember?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Great one day team back them - Athers, Fairbrother, Lloyd, Austin, Watkinson, Hegg, Wasim Akram, Martin, Chapple, etc.

Don't forget John Crawley. (As an aside, a friend's brother-in-law played in the same Manchester Grammar School team)

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I seem to recall Wasim breaking Worcester hearts in a one day game... may have been a semi? I'm sure @snowychap will remember? 

The only real stand out one-day defeat that I remember from way back when was bloody Ramprakash saving Middlesex in the final in the late 80s.

Tbf, I was a Somerset fan as a kid (Garner/Richards/Iron Bottom/Colin Dredge/Vic Marks) until Roebuck and his lot screwed Viv and Joel over in 86.

Edit: Is this the one you mean?

Benson & Hedges Cup, 1995, Semi-Final

Worcestershire v Lancashire
County Ground, New Road, Worcester
13 June 1995 (55-over match)

Result: Lancashire won by 2 wickets

Toss: Worcestershire
Umpires: R Palmer and AGT Whitehead
Man of the Match: Wasim Akram

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Don't forget John Crawley. (As an aside, a friend's brother-in-law played in the same Manchester Grammar School team)

The only real stand out one-day defeat that I remember from way back when was bloody Ramprakash saving Middlesex in the final in the late 80s.

Tbf, I was a Somerset fan as a kid (Garner/Richards/Iron Bottom/Colin Dredge/Vic Marks) until Roebuck and his lot screwed Viv and Joel over in 86.

Edit: Is this the one you mean?

Benson & Hedges Cup, 1995, Semi-Final

Jason Gallian as well!

Yes it was that game... we were doing well until Wasim came in and starting smashing the bowlers around New Road :(

I used to have a cricket computer game as a kid on my spectrum. It was called Howzat and was endorsed by Brian Rose, of Somerset. I always used to play as Somerset in the game as they had Viv, Joel and Beefy so were a decent team to be! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2019 at 23:17, snowychap said:

Hickie's 405* was a better knock. :)

On 16/06/2019 at 20:35, Xela said:

The reason why I supported Worcestershire! I remember it hitting the national news and that was me hooked by Hick as a player initially and then the Pears as a team. Persuaded my Dad to take me to New Road a few times every school holiday. :)

I went and bought one of these after that

1990%2BDuncan%2BFearnley%2BGraeme%2BHick

Still in the cupboard under the stairs somewhere, lots of red marks down the edges now though ;)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I went and bought one of these after that

Fearnley's bats were planks - Magnum,'Attack with Botham', &c.

Still have my (then over-sized slightly) Slazenger V12 that I got when I was 12.

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

Fearnley's bats were planks - Magnum,'Attack with Botham', &c.

Still have my (then over-sized slightly) Slazenger V12 that I got when I was 12.

I had a couple of Gunn & Moore bats but my favourite was my DF 405*

34 years ago today. I was the only one from my class to turn up at the school fete to help Mr Ludlow. Think it meant I missed Status Quo though, so not all bad.

eEa4PUO.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

28th July 1865, the first Welsh settlers arrived in Patagonia aboard the Mimosa. 

The move was an attempt to set up a Welsh speaking area outside the influence of Westminster as there was a concerted effort at that time, with the likes of the Blue Books and the Welsh Not, to wipe out the language and the culture.

The area still has Welsh town names and many still speak Welsh, albeit with a particular Patagonian dialect.

Chubut-map-welsh.jpg

• Like 3

Â