Jump to content
Adblockers - please click ×
Sign in to follow this  
NurembergVillan

On This Day In History

Recommended Posts

I still call it “the football league”, but still.

Edit - looking at that picture again, it does look like he’s holding a shotgun.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:
Edit - looking at that picture again, it does look like he’s holding a shotgun.

Exactly what I thought! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sir Neville Chamberlain apparently gave birth to modern snooker today in 1875 by drawing up the first set of rules whilst serving as an officer in the British Army in India

I never knew I had two reasons to dislike him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cayo Evans was born.

Went on to form the Free Wales Army, lots of huff n puff but good at publicity stunts and designing their own military uniform and insignia based on the white eagle of Snowdonia.

So good were the FWA at attracting the attention of the authorities, they didn't notice the genuine threat of the MAC who didn't advertise their presence, but did plant a few bombs burn a few cottages and were close to getting the Prince Charles Investiture cancelled.

Cayo Evans was tried and convicted of 'wearing an illegal uniform'. If you look carefully, you still see the occassional FWA insignia around. The majority of the organisation was leftist, though Cayo himself wasn't. He was an old school strutter and self publicist and admirer of Franco.

This conflict within the FWA means that the symbol sometimes pops up on lefty graffiti and sometimes gets seen at EDL style marches.

D4q7yjcWsAAPsKQ.jpg

 

Cayo went on to become a pub on Cathedral Road and somebody still regularly paints the eagle on the trees of Pontcanna.

f2ef6b75c5b5373b0a027f68eb0c754e.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 years ago (yesterday), The Jam issued the single 'In The City'.

The B side, 'Takin' My Love' is still just an absolute blast.

It would be another 8 years before I fully accepted Paul Weller was a knob.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

42 years ago (yesterday), The Jam issued the single 'In The City'.

The B side, 'Takin' My Love' is still just an absolute blast.

It would be another 8 years before I fully accepted Paul Weller was a knob.

I thought he was a knob in The Jam. I warmed to him when he released 'Wild Wood'. Quickly went off him again shortly after that, mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I thought he was a knob in The Jam. I warmed to him when he released 'Wild Wood'. Quickly went off him again shortly after that, mind. 

 

I thought they did some interesting pop in The Style Council too, though not exactly earth shattering. All fizzled out for me around about the Cost of Loving album. Which discogs tells me was 1987. Orange spine, and wide because it was a gatefold sleeve, so it was far more prominent in the rack than it deserved to be. I think that was probably the last thing of his I bought.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I thought he was a knob in The Jam. I warmed to him when he released 'Wild Wood'. Quickly went off him again shortly after that, mind. 

I quite liked the Jam, some of their stuff is excellent, but I hated the Style Council. Wild Wood sort of had me thinking, ok, he’s not gone completely shite, but then he did ( again ). Meh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, blandy said:

I quite liked the Jam, some of their stuff is excellent, but I hated the Style Council. Wild Wood sort of had me thinking, ok, he’s not gone completely shite, but then he did ( again ). Meh.

Pretty much exactly my take. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blandy said:

I quite liked the Jam, some of their stuff is excellent, but I hated the Style Council. Wild Wood sort of had me thinking, ok, he’s not gone completely shite, but then he did ( again ). Meh.

That's exactly how I see it. Even the last album, The Gift was mediocre, it ranks just above This is the Modern World in my ranking of Jam albums

  1. Setting Sons 
  2. All Mod Cons
  3. Sound Affects
  4. In the City
  5. The Gift
  6. This is the Modern World

Positions 1 & 2 are almost interchangeable, there is a clear gap between 3 & 4 and then a huge gap between 4 & 5 then 5 & 6 aren't that far apart. The top three were huge part in my youth though

Apart from maybe 2 songs, the Style Council left me absolutely cold. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best thing the Jam ever did was give Big Country the support slot on their farewell tour :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

5 years ago today :(

Can't believe its been 5 years :( 

Rewatched the Young Ones the other day, absolute classics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2019 at 13:34, VILLAMARV said:

5 years ago today :(

Seriously? I would have guessed it was just last year. Bloody hell, time flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2019 at 08:51, AvfcRigo82 said:

On this day in 1994, Our famous Holte End was used as a terrace for the final time before it's full renovation.

19,210 supporters stood on the Holte to watch the last home game of the season against Liverpool with each fan receiving a certificate to mark the occasion.

 

2560x1440_07%2005%20on%20this%20day.ashx

 

 

I was at that game. 

What a sight. Beat them as well!

Same year, a month later (6th June 1994 - sorry few days late posting this) Brian Lara scored 501* at Edgbaston

Regrettably I turned down the chance to see it. The family who lived opposite were massive Warwickshire fans and went and asked me if I wanted to go. Being a Worcestershire fan,  I gave it a swerve. Obviously I never knew at the start of the day what would happen, if I did I would have been there!

fr1mnuyptph4yufes6i6.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was at that game. 

What a sight. Beat them as well!

Same year, a month later (6th June 1994 - sorry few days late posting this) Brian Lara scored 501* at Edgbaston

Regrettably I turned down the chance to see it. The family who lived opposite were massive Warwickshire fans and went and asked me if I wanted to go. Being a Worcestershire fan,  I gave it a swerve. Obviously I never knew at the start of the day what would happen, if I did I would have been there!

fr1mnuyptph4yufes6i6.jpg

I hope you have that certificate proudly stored away safely still sir?

Torn between two memorable occasions, both equally iconic to a degree.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â