General Election 2017

ender4

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Because it was utterly irrelevant.

My point wasn't about either Labour or the Tories, it was about the same old crap about 'the gold' being trotted out yet again. :bang:

There's so much old crap trotted out its hard to avoid. 

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

My point wasn't about either Labour or the Tories, it was about the same old crap about 'the gold' being trotted out yet again. :bang:

But... the gold....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I won't vote labour because of the gold....

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I won't vote labour because of the gold....

I'd have thought that as a new father, the relentless cuts to the education and healthcare budgets would be more relevant than a poor deal on commodities a decade and a half ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have thought that as a new father, the relentless cuts to the education and healthcare budgets would be more relevant than a poor deal on commodities a decade and a half ago.

I was taking the piss. Funnily enough we've just had a vote labour leaflet posted through the door. Pros and cons with both parties and although I shall not be voting the tories seem better equipped to run the country. I mean labour are just a mess and although Corbyn has some nice ideas  he is incredibly naive to think they would work. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

45 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Austerity measures were/are needed as there was no new money to spend. Where was it coming from?

Where do you think money comes from?  Where do numbers come from?

Money is a unit of account.  It's not something that's sat in a vault somewhere.  At least, for currency issuers, like the UK.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Where do you think money comes from?  Where do numbers come from?

Money is a unit of account.  It's not something that's sat in a vault somewhere.  At least, for currency issuers, like the UK.

Money trees, obvs. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

The austerity policies implemented in a number of advanced economies since the financial crisis represents one of the dumbest economic practices in modern history.

So... What you're saying is... Countries don't have to work like a household budget?!

Say it ain't so!?

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Thing is according to my tax summary I'm paying more on national debt interest than on police, transport and almost on defence.  Where is that money actually going?  I've never really understood.

As far as I understand it's mostly private debt so the interest will be paid back to financiers who are providing the debt as the capital from other people's investments and savings etc.

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Thing is according to my tax summary I'm paying more on national debt interest than on police, transport and almost on defence.  Where is that money actually going?  I've never really understood.

This is from 2013:

ukgovtdebt.jpg

Link:

We all know that the total amount of debt owed by the British Government has ballooned in recent years – from £220bn in 1995 to almost £1.4 trillion today. But who actually owns the debt? In other words, who does Britain owe most of its money to? The answer is in the chart above. It shows you who owns UK government bonds (gilts) – everyone from UK households to overseas investors to (most notably) the Bank of England.

• Like 2

Makes total sense, these are institutions who are buying UK government gilts. Bank of England obviously started to do that en mass with QE. Rest of the world and banks obviously poured money into UK gilts with the onset of the recession looking for a safe haven (implied by low yields - as an advanced economy with it's own currency obviously the UK was never in danger of defaulting). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

That's utterly shocking. It's proof of corruption surely? Should someone not make a complaint to the police? On instruction from a candidate, the official restricts another from speaking. Gotta be against electoral rules?

30 minutes ago, darrenm said:

As far as I understand it's mostly private debt so the interest will be paid back to financiers who are providing the debt as the capital from other people's investments and savings etc.

Rothschild.... 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

My fears with labour are several (btw I have voted labour in the past as i thought they were the better party)

firstly, Corbin comes across as a nice bloke but not a leader. The fact his own party have little faith in him speaks volumes too.

Done this to death. He's survived 2 leadership contests with an increased majority against half of the party who don't share his ideology and have played dirty tricks at every point, then rallied support for his party, creating the biggest swing ever seen in modern politics with very little time to prepare in a snap election, all while being rabidly attacked by the tabloids. If that's not a leader I don't know what is. MPs follow power. The vast majority will have been against him because they thought he was destroying the party. Now it seems he's resurrecting them they're queuing up to support him.

i think he speaks sense (at times) but comes across as a naive idealist but with no substance.

That's very subjective and your own view. It seems not to be one shared by a lot of the electorate, if polls are to be believed

his few allies include Diane abbot, who is absolutely clueless and is so out of her depth it doesn't bear thinking of what havoc she would wreak if she became Home Secretary.

His allies have shown to be spectacular in this campaign with the exception of Diane Abbott who I believe will be perfectly competent as HS, just a liability sometimes on the TV and radio. The shadow cabinet he's assembled have completely eclipsed the idiots in the Conservative party. Emily Thornberry, Angela Rayner, Barry Gardiner, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Keir Starmer, Jonathon Ashworth, Sarah Champion have all been brilliant.

The last time labour were in power also ended disastrously, with our economy put through a mincer leaving only the gristly bits. 

GFC 2008. Bugger all to do with Labour. Tories have increased the national debt from £800m to £1.8t, while bringing down the deficit admittedly but only with savage cuts to public services.

We are still having to financially restructure due to the incompetence. 

Nope. Tories have **** up the last 7 years. That's all there is to it. Introduced austerity which killed the economy and did nothing to balance to books because of the rocketing national debt they've used to do it because tax receipts aren't high enough. This is due to ultra-neolib free market policies cutting corporation and top-rate tax way more than required. Everyone else is in the high 20s to mid 30s for corp tax and we're 19% going down to 17. That's just giving money away.

My main fear if labour gained power is there'd be a massive in party bun fight to oust Corbin, which would be messy and counterproductive especially considering the gravity of brexit negotiations.

With an election win from such a poor start, Corbyn would be absolutely vindicated and the right of the party would have no power.

Saying all that, I cannot abide Theresa 'Maggie-wannabe' May. 

She is a vile cowardly woman who changes face at any sign of criticism or blame.

i have no faith in her as a leader either. 

My response in bold :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

That's utterly shocking. It's proof of corruption surely? Should someone not make a complaint to the police? On instruction from a candidate, the official restricts another from speaking. Gotta be against electoral rules?

I assume it's a hustings organised by a community group, vol org or some other organisation.  They can run it however they like, subject only to not wanting to appear like prats, if that bothers them.  Last one i was at, the chair started the proceedings by producing a giant inflatable cock and balls and placing it on the table in front of the candidates, which is not what you'd get from an official event run by a tv company, for example.  (It was done to make a point about the disruptive conduct of stag and hen parties in central Edinburgh, rather than a comment on the candidates).

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I assume it's a hustings organised by a community group, vol org or some other organisation.  They can run it however they like, subject only to not wanting to appear like prats, if that bothers them.  Last one i was at, the chair started the proceedings by producing a giant inflatable cock and balls and placing it on the table in front of the candidates, which is not what you'd get from an official event run by a tv company, for example.  (It was done to make a point about the disruptive conduct of stag and hen parties in central Edinburgh, rather than a comment on the candidates).

Fair enough. Good to just have bad press for them then.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was taking the piss. Funnily enough we've just had a vote labour leaflet posted through the door. Pros and cons with both parties and although I shall not be voting the tories seem better equipped to run the country. I mean labour are just a mess and although Corbyn has some nice ideas  he is incredibly naive to think they would work. 

This often seems to be something often said during this campaign.

Why wouldn't Corbyn's policies work?  How are the general public more informed than a political party?  Further, you're happy with the run the country is being run at the moment?

Â