General Election 2017

ender4

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

If they're serious on this, then more needs to be done around decriminalisation and regulation of drugs.

Last thing we need is thousands of drug users clogging up our prisons when the Tories want longer sentences, with less prison officers.

Agree, medically support addicts  (medical grade heroin is not expensive to produce) and get medieval on sentencing for importers, distributors and dealers. 

The pipeline into prisons would drop by a minimum of 50% in 2 years, I'm certain of it. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Agree, medically support addicts  (medical grade heroin is not expensive to produce) and get medieval on sentencing for importers, distributors and dealers. 

The pipeline into prisons would drop by a minimum of 50% in 2 years, I'm certain of it. 

Could you clarify what you mean by 'get medieval'? Never go full Duterte. 

7 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So what impact with this have on the result? More votes from tory to UKIP? More votes from undecideds to tory because of Theresa 'she's had enough' May? 

More votes for Tories. People turn right in fearful times.

Never mind the person they would ultimately vote for presided over the prior 7 years of this getting worse.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If they're serious on this, then more needs to be done around decriminalisation and regulation of drugs

If the were serious they would do this as a matter of course and as May said,  concentrate on whats important.  The resources to put it all through the courts and the ongoing damage of people having a criminal record for,  when compared to people killing people on the streets it really is small fry.

Obviously I am living in a war torn country with no economy & with bombs and acts of terror happening daily, Holland has officially collapsed both financially and morally becasue someone said they can open a few coffee shops here and there.  It would be amusing in that they try and impose Islamic ideology and everyone has a spliff *  

* Could be made up entirely 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So what impact with this have on the result? 

It's hard to predict, because people don't always react in the way you expect in the wake of these attacks. To begin with an American example, many people assumed that the Florida nightclub shooting would help Trump (in that he clearly hates Muslims and was campaigning for the Muslim ban) but in the end, his poll numbers declined slightly in the wake of the attack, perhaps because the manner he responded in wasn't seen as appropriate. 

My immediate assumption after the Manchester attack was that it would help the Tories in the polls. The Conservatives call Corbyn 'soft on terror' with some good (though mainly historical, and in a different context) reason. May was known as a tough Home Secretary (whether that is the full truth or not). Yet Manchester didn't seem to have a noticeable impact on the polls at all, and the drift towards Labour continued. 

Whether it will continue now is hard to say. It could be that voters are more inclined to stick with the party they trust more on security issues. Or it could be that they wonder why the PM is accusing unknown 'others' of being too accommodating of terrorism, when she has held two great offices of state with different direct responsibilities on this topic over the last seven years, and feel inclined to punish her. As you suggest, UKIP - who have positioned themselves as the anti-Muslim party - may gain a few votes, but even if that does happen it probably won't help change many seats. My personal guess is that it will be mostly a wash, but that's exactly what it is, a guess. 

One thing we can say for sure is that as a] the party having the better of the campaign, and b] the party behind in the polls, any reduction in campaign time between now and Thursday will hurt Labour.  

• Like 1

Also people seem to be a bit 'terror fatigued'. It's not that shocking now. I was surprised just how quickly Joe Public took Manchester out of their thinking. 2 days later it was like nothing had happened for anyone not directly connected.

53 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So what impact with this have on the result? More votes from tory to UKIP? More votes from undecideds to tory because of Theresa 'she's had enough' May? 

More votes for labour hopefully as I am really fearful now after Theresa May's statement. It's the only way not to have her in power.

She is so out of touch it is scary.

My fears with labour are several (btw I have voted labour in the past as i thought they were the better party)

firstly, Corbin comes across as a nice bloke but not a leader. The fact his own party have little faith in him speaks volumes too.

i think he speaks sense (at times) but comes across as a naive idealist but with no substance.

his few allies include Diane abbot, who is absolutely clueless and is so out of her depth it doesn't bear thinking of what havoc she would wreak if she became Home Secretary.

The last time labour were in power also ended disastrously, with our economy put through a mincer leaving only the gristly bits. 

We are still having to financially restructure due to the incompetence. 

My main fear if labour gained power is there'd be a massive in party bun fight to oust Corbin, which would be messy and counterproductive especially considering the gravity of brexit negotiations.

Saying all that, I cannot abide Theresa 'Maggie-wannabe' May. 

She is a vile cowardly woman who changes face at any sign of criticism or blame.

i have no faith in her as a leader either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could you clarify what you mean by 'get medieval'? Never go full Duterte. 

Mate I say the same thing every time this comes up, for the major importers and financiers I'd have the death penalty. What they do is slow motion mass murder and the misery it causes to individuals, families, victims of crime and society is unconscionable. It's also a very big deterrent - and I like deterrence.

Edit: That's for heroin and cocaine, not weed.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

Our economy was going down the shitter anyway but the financial global crisis didn't help. 

Selling our gold reserves for pennies didn't help (I know the torys have under-sold assets too, particularly the Royal Mail) 

Austerity measures were/are needed as there was no new money to spend. Where was it coming from?

one way would be to up taxes but no one wants to be the party to do that. 

The torys are by no means perfect but neither are labour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Oh ffs, not again!

I see you missed out the second part of that sentence! 

Both labour and conservatives are as bad as each other and neither are a great choice going forward - however they are the only two viable options, which screams a lot about state of our government and politicians.

We have careerists as politicians nowadays who have no grasp on society or working life and only want to feather their own nest.

So, yes ffs again

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I see you missed out the second part of that sentence! 

Because it was utterly irrelevant.

My point wasn't about either Labour or the Tories, it was about the same old crap about 'the gold' being trotted out yet again. :bang:

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â