General Election 2017

ender4

With May being home secretary for the previous 6 yrs prior to being PM, what is the opinion on here as to her culpability for this attack etc.? Is this fair game? I ask as it now appears that all sorts of red flags were raised about this guy, but perhaps certain Libyan escapades may have muddied the waters.

14 minutes ago, villakram said:

With May being home secretary for the previous 6 yrs prior to being PM, what is the opinion on here as to her culpability for this attack etc.? Is this fair game? I ask as it now appears that all sorts of red flags were raised about this guy, but perhaps certain Libyan escapades may have muddied the waters.

She has to accept some flack for it. But she won't. It'll be seen/deflected as cynical opportunism, and may backfire on anyone that makes the point as it's easily played up as using the bodies of kids for political points.

Which it is... But... It's not without merit.

But she's Teflon.

• Like 3

I get the feeling Corbyn will want to take the moral high ground on this and not politicise the Manchester attack. Which will be a shame because May is very culpable for some of this. Cutting police funding while being begged not to by the police and the opposition should be enough to force her to resign right now.

• Like 2

Thanks all.

It's so sad over here as the democrats have completely betrayed themselves by trying to outgun the republicans on security. The results is that the only non military/patriotism first people remaining are pretty much all labelled as fringe nutters. It is very sad.

I think Corbyn/Labor/Libs/Greens have a real opportunity here to be strong but not in the way that is classically understood by the Nasty party, who I'm sure will ram through a "patriot act" of some form if they get back in.

• Like 1

Please don't take this as trivialising the event in Manchester. It's unimaginably horrific and I'm genuinely scared. But this is how I see the election has gone so far in the context of a football match.

Tories were leading 5-0 at half time. By the 85th minute Labour had pulled it back to 5-4 and were in the ascendency until a player got injured and it took the sting out of the game. The Tories didn't cause it and it's not a fake injury but they certainly enjoyed slowing the game down giving them a breather.

The game will restart on 88 minutes where Labour have a corner (TV debates)

33 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I've had it with the media. 

I don't care if people think I'm a word removed, if see someone reading a rag, I'll tell them what I think.

They were handing out free copies of the Sun in the shop by my work, the lady there told me they were hard to give away.

54 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just to back up what others have said.

There's no guarantee by a long stretch that this or some other similar incident wouldn't have happened with an extra 200,000 police.

But if Labour had sacked off 20,000 police and then something like this happened, my word you'd see some venom from the right wing media.

But it wasn't Labour, it was Home Secretary and PM May that reduced the numbers.

So it isn't relevant to our glorious free press. The same free press that had 'Blood On His Hands' as the headline about Corbyn on the very day of the attack.

I won't give them the exposure to show the front cover, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the Sun headline 'blood on her hands'.

Sooner we rid ourselves of all these foreign types trying to influence our democracy, the better.

They will bring up the fact Labour 'bankrupted' the country, whilst ignoring their borrowing.

They will link this, Labour being poor with the economy from 97-10, to police cuts... because they always do and get away with it.

They will say Labour can't cost up things, forgetting they have a largely uncosted manifesto

They will suggest Corbyn and Labour are week on terrorism, when the past 7 years things have gone up a notch with threats and attacks

They will call Corbyn a pacifist. They will call Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser and they will get very nasty.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I get the feeling Corbyn will want to take the moral high ground on this and not politicise the Manchester attack. Which will be a shame because May is very culpable for some of this. Cutting police funding while being begged not to by the police and the opposition should be enough to force her to resign right now.

Corbyn will bring police cuts into it and get criticised.

May will play into the fear of people about terrorism and be called brave.

16 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Corbyn will bring police cuts into it and get criticised.

May will play into the fear of people about terrorism and be called brave.

Just needs to be a bit cute. Bring up police cuts but don't specifically link them. People can work it out for themselves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Holy shit balls!

18699774_1893092510958443_40269225544772

Expect the Torygraph and Heil to go into overdrive tomorrow. Some subeditor is now digging out photos of IRA bombings.

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Expect the Torygraph and Heil to go into overdrive tomorrow. Some subeditor is now digging out photos of IRA bombings.

Yep. Every time Labour get a step closer, the right wing media up tbe hatred a lot.

fwiw, I don't believe polls. I don't trust them at all.

*If* the polls are to be believed as anywhere near accurate, and even if they are, Tories could get some popularity back, then I think this helped Labour a lot

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Just needs to be a bit cute. Bring up police cuts but don't specifically link them. People can work it out for themselves.

Just seen on ITV news they have got hold of a speech he is making tomorrow where he does will state that you can't make cuts at A and E and to the Police, cuts which he said he will reverse, and will bring up our foreign policy in relation to these attacks. They said whilst many will agree with him they may question the timing given the dead in Manchester haven't yet been buried. I can imagine he will be ripped to pieces by the right wing rags who will run big with him politicising the Manchester attack.

Â