General Election 2017

ender4

1 hour ago, Awol said:

It's a very serious issue issue generally but to see the attack itself used to score political points is pretty uncivilised.

I agree. I have lost count of the amount of people I have seen on social media say don't vote Labour, Corbyn is weak etc, on the back of this. Be as low and opportunistic as someone saying don't vote Tory as it happened on their watch.

Edited by markavfc40

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

In terms of winning the arguments - yes the tories were on the ropes - in terms of winning votes they weren't.

most definately true, their support was holding up very well, and as things stand they were likely to return a slightly increased majority, a few seats here and there, however the election was called to enable a landslide victory and to create an effective parliamentry dictatorship through a huge majority, i think the tories were in clear danger of losing out on that,

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree. I have lost count of the amount of people I have seen on social media say don't vote Labour, Corbyn is weak etc, on the back of this. Be as low and opportunistic as someone saying don't vote Tory as it happened on their watch.

Totally, some things go way beyond petty party politics and those who can't see that need to get some perspective, imo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Just waiting for Nutall to update his bio to include details of how he was in the Manc Arena...

I heard he threw himself on the bomber to shield people. 

• Like 3

Can't decide whether it's a "good thing" or not that this horrific event may lead to more people voting UKIP than Conservative.  The narrative was always that Conservatives would hoover up the old-UKIP voters previously.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can't decide whether it's a "good thing" or not that this horrific event may lead to more people voting UKIP than Conservative.  The narrative was always that Conservatives would hoover up the old-UKIP voters previously.

The next two weeks will see The Sun, Mail and May ramping up the fear levels, and the media questioning Corbyn over his terrorism links and not questioning May. It's game over.

42 minutes ago, DK82 said:

The next two weeks will see The Sun, Mail and May ramping up the fear levels, and the media questioning Corbyn over his terrorism links and not questioning May. It's game over.

Possibly, but I'm not so sure. I think you're right about the rags, but less so about Corbyn/May.

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Conservatives' pledge of free breakfasts for primary school children has hit the rocks. The numbers have been run and their current pledge would mean schools would have less than 7p to feed every pupil if they all took up the offer. They've apparently now admitted they don't have a clue how much it will cost to fatten them up for Theresa'a table.

The media: "nothing to see here, move along. Look at Jeremy, he doesn't eat meat - he isn't like us, he is evil"

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Possibly, but I'm not so sure. I think you're right about the rags, but less so about Corbyn/May.

I guess we will see mate. I've zero faith in May or the media. 

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I guess we will see mate. I've zero faith in May or the media. 

I know. I just think the media (TV at least) has rules about impartiality during elections - they couldn't get away with no questioning May on it. Of course she'll go with pre prepared stuff about "strong, hime secretary...blah blah" but I think Corbyn's team and he are smart he can do at least as well as her  - and I am not impressed with either of them.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

I know. I just think the media (TV at least) has rules about impartiality during elections - they couldn't get away with no questioning May on it. Of course she'll go with pre prepared stuff about "strong, hime secretary...blah blah" but I think Corbyn's team and he are smart he can do at least as well as her  - and I am not impressed with either of them.

She might be questioned, but she won't give an answer and it won't be followed up - unfortunately. Nobody pushes her.

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Conservatives' pledge of free breakfasts for primary school children has hit the rocks. The numbers have been run and their current pledge would mean schools would have less than 7p to feed every pupil if they all took up the offer. They've apparently now admitted they don't have a clue how much it will cost to fatten them up for Theresa'a table.

It's a loud of BS anyway as a lot of schools already find breakfast for kids.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

7p probably gets each kid a piece of bread; hardly a replacement for a meal. Also, who will staff these 'free breakfast clubs' at 7p per pupil?

Teachers can serve breakfast, they don't work hard enough anyway and kitchen staff will need to be laid off to save money so teachers can prepare breakfast too.

See. Conservative politics is easy. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

7p probably gets each kid a piece of bread; hardly a replacement for a meal. Also, who will staff these 'free breakfast clubs' at 7p per pupil?

Exactly. My mate is a headteacher at a London primary school and a Facebook post of his has gone viral pointing this out (and a lot more). 

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/headteachers-post-slamming-tory-pledge-to-cut-free-school-lunches-goes-viral-a3544751.html

It's so ill-thought out that it's frightening. They just cannot be allowed to run this country for another five years!

Â