General Election 2017

ender4

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I do still think the Lib Dem's will have a resurgence with Cable in charge though and that will come mainly at the expense of the Tories

I thought Cable was found out during the 2010 election and turned out he wasn't the messiah , be interesting to see how he gets on this time around 

politically I thought the libs were closer to labour than Tory so it will be interesting to see where they get their votes ...Bath does suggest a Tory to Lib vote transfer though so perhaps Mays successor will have one more thing to worry about  

more importantly as Vince seems to also have engaged the younger voters in twickers , what chant will he get when he steals Corbyns spot at Glastonbury in a couple of years , oh Sir Vincent Cable doesn't really work with the White Stripes :)

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought Cable was found out during the 2010 election and turned out he wasn't the messiah , be interesting to see how he gets on this time around 

politically I thought the libs were closer to labour than Tory so it will be interesting to see where they get their votes ...Bath does suggest a Tory to Lib vote transfer though so perhaps Mays successor will have one more thing to worry about  

more importantly as Vince seems to also have engaged the younger voters in twickers , what chant will he get when he steals Corbyns spot at Glastonbury in a couple of years , oh Sir Vincent Cable doesn't really work with the White Stripes :)

The Hokey Cokey

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

it was in their manifesto  

that's a bit more than suggesting ... as we all know once it's in a manifesto it's cast in stone and can't be removed , cause nobody ever prior to 2017 has changed their mind or broken an election promise

That's not the narrative and you know it.  Anything in a Labour manifesto is "fantasy" and "unrealistic".  We've heard it from our trustworthy government.  Therefore, this whole potential referendum was obviously complete nonsense. 

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd like to think that it was Ben Howlett (the Conservative incumbent) turning up at my barbecue the Saturday before the election that swung it, where i politely told him that canvassing me probably wouldn't be the best use of his limited time, but I wished him luck nonetheless.

The sheer righteous fury of my argument probably crushed his spirit for the remainder of the campaign.

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I'd like to think that it was Ben Howlett (the Conservative incumbent) turning up at my barbecue the Saturday before the election that swung it, where i politely told him that canvassing me probably wouldn't be the best use of his limited time, but I wished him luck nonetheless.

The sheer righteous fury of my argument probably crushed his spirit for the remainder of the campaign.

I think my mates moving from London since the last election may have helped too

Or the absolutely shocking statement he made in the run up to the election

ben howlett.jpg

He'll be one of the MPs that the conservative party will be financially supporting so that he doesn't suffer any "financial hardship" after losing his seat.

I can't help but suspect that the only problem a lot of tories will have with that statement is that he was stupid enough to make it publicly. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think my mates moving from London since the last election may have helped too

Or the absolutely shocking statement he made in the run up to the election

ben howlett.jpg

As far as I can see this was never actually said. I think this fad for putting made up quotes next to pictures of famous people is pretty worrying but only another example of how easy it is to present fiction as fact to influence people.

Feel free to correct me if there's any actual quotes.

Do you need an MP that was/is truly grounded ? I think you do.

Do you absolutely require an MP that can be easily out-witted by a goat in most board games and garden based Tom-foolery.

Do you yearn for a local MP to be 50% badly formed and slightly waterlogged potato combined with quite a serious brain injury ?

Ben Howlett ( word removed ),  

I think that quote is completely made up. I sincerely doubt Ben Howlett would say that people on free school meals are 'scum' who 'need to be eradicated'. I'm just not seeing it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think that quote is completely made up. I sincerely doubt Ben Howlett would say that people on free school meals are 'scum' who 'need to be eradicated'. I'm just not seeing it. 

I can imagine the first paragraph being said, the second one very unlikely, the third one would be political suicide so seriously doubt it was said at all. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2017 at 14:19, tom_avfc said:

As far as I can see this was never actually said. I think this fad for putting made up quotes next to pictures of famous people is pretty worrying but only another example of how easy it is to present fiction as fact to influence people.

Feel free to correct me if there's any actual quotes.

I think the use of the word "scum" gives away it's left wing origins .  

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the use of the word "scum" gives away it's left wing origins .  

Why?

And *its. Non singulars aren't possessive.

15 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Why?

And *its. Non singulars aren't possessive.

its just an observation , be it a Facebook rant , an angry demo , even a good chunk of the posts on here seem to include the word scum ... I assumed it was covered in chapter 1 of left wing policitcs for dummies  or something such it's it's frequency 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He'll be telling us it wasn't Thatcher that stole the milk from the mouths of small children next...

You're a smart man and you already know she didn't .....

indirectly it was Heath not Thatcher .. the government demanded an end to free school milk , Thatcher got a compromise whereby nursery and primary schools kept it... Thatcher, Thatcher, she didn’t really snatch any milk and in fact tried hard to ensure it was still provided’... doesn't quite roll of the tongue does it 

of course Wilsons government scrapped free school milk in 1968 to all secondary schools ... for some reason that one has been airbrushed out of history ... can't imagine why 

• Like 1

Â