General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

What gets me most, is that Theresa May had an absurdly strong hand going into this election, and she's ballsing it up big time.

We're meant to be believe she'll get the best possible deal for the UK post Brexit? This time with a weak hand?

Galling.

Yep, it's a shame that circumstances have led us to where we are about to go. 

Never again imo will we see a party so horrifically inept, supported like the current government are. 

Problem is, we face a lot of pain over the next few years, before the idea of change becomes a reality. 

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't understand the Tory strategy.

why go after the largest voting demographic? Who would lean more conservative?

Just playing devils advocate but something does need to be done with regards to social care costs and if they can't hammer theyre core vote when their 20 points up in the polls then when can they. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't understand the Tory strategy.

why go after the largest voting demographic? Who would lean more conservative?

Anecdotally I know of a few over 60s who have been Tory voters all their lives but they're so turned off by May and the Tory policies.

They make Labour look stunningly competent.

It's pretty brutal but there is a big black hole when it comes to funding care.  I guess May felt this is the one chance any government will get to put through such an unpopular measure as they're so far ahead in the polls they can sacrifice a lot of pensioners' votes, especially as she has Brexit up her sleeve.  I'm still shocked she went for the triple whammy, the fuel allowance cut and double lock seem sensible measures to me and I'm surprised Labour didn't suggest them too, but the care funding using your home is a massive gamble.

Can anyone who is more read up on marginal seats give a likelihood of this election giving her a reduced majority, or roughly the same as it is now?

I'd love for this election to have proved a complete waste of time for May.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I wish I was from a marginal seat so my vote could actually matter.

Same here. I feel like I'm part of that Eifel 65 song when I step outside in Winchester.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Just playing devils advocate but something does need to be done with regards to social care costs and if they can't hammer theyre core vote when their 20 points up in the polls then when can they. 

It has followed the usual pattern.

There have been loud demands that social care needs to be better funded but then when a solution is found the same people complain about their taxes being raised.

Another acronym is born - NIMBP - not in my back pocket!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coda said:

Ew, my nearest marginal is Yardley. I'd risk having to converse with blues fans.

I tend to find most blues fans are pretty right wing actually so I doubt many Labour canvassers will be blues fans.

Mine is Wolverhampton..

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I tend to find most blues fans are pretty right wing actually so I doubt many Labour canvassers will be blues fans.

Mine is Wolverhampton..

I meant the natives. Is this not knocking doors?

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I wish I was from a marginal seat so my vote could actually matter.

Electoral reform is the biggest issue in politics for me. FPTP is awful. A big reason the Brexit turnout was relatively high (although I still don't understand the 26% who didn't vote) is because every vote really did matter.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, coda said:

I meant the natives. Is this not knocking doors?

50 minutes ago, coda said:

Ew, my nearest marginal is Yardley. I'd risk having to converse with blues fans.

Pretend to be from the electoral reform society and explain to them how to vote in a single transferable vote election.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

He's like Batfink

Fair play to him here. I would love to see how Theresa May would react in a similar situation although the media seem scared to try to back her into a corner. Shame really as that strong and stable leader bullshit would soon be shown to be total fabrication.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coda said:

My nearest marginal is either in Test, Southampton or London. I must live in the most black and white, or shall I say blue and red, part of the country. There's no way I'm going campaigning in Test, Southampton! Yardley is like Beverly Hills compared. In Hampshire the chav density goes higher the closer you get to Test, and once you get to Totton you've lost your kidneys in Eastleigh, your liver in Southampton and your life in Test. They all sound rather posh, but they really aren't.

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

My nearest marginal is either in Test, Southampton or London. I must live in the most black and white, or shall I say blue and red, part of the country. There's no way I'm going campaigning in Test, Southampton! Yardley is like Beverly Hills compared. In Hampshire the chav density goes higher the closer you get to Test, and once you get to Totton you've lost your kidneys in Eastleigh, your liver in Southampton and your life in Test. They all sound rather posh, but they really aren't.

Southampton, the most horrendously dull city in the UK, More culture in a petri dish

• Like 1

Â