Pre match thread

theboyangel

Just now, Eastie said:

I'd have though if anyone was struggling to play 2 it would be Jedi not Lansbury or hourihane .

still interesting to see how this works - I like the formation but not the midfield. 

Maybe, but I would imagine that Jedinak covers about half of the ground of those two - even so, he's one that's playing through and fair play to him. Hutton I would imagine is also being rested rather than dropped. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's admitting that they can't put in 90 minutes of running twice in three days. 

These changes are about playing on Saturday and Monday, not about quality - I think that's absolutely glaringly obvious.

Sorry, I meant generally in this system rather than today specifically, though I would still have at least one of them in today. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Sorry, I meant generally in this system rather than today specifically, though I would still have at least one of them in today. 

Ah, yeah, I actually think this shape could work pretty well with Hourihane and Lansbury - it'll be interesting to see how the front two do - if they look good and the back three look solid then Bruce might give us a chance to see that.

When you are playing 3 at the back, plus wing backs, i really don't understand the need to have a defensive midfielders in Jedinak and Gardner. 

Even though we have Hogan, Kodjia and Grealish in the team, that is an unbelievably negative formation in my view. 

I think it matches up to the way Fulham like to play - they're probably the most expansive team in the division right now, they like to play flowing, attacking football - they're going to find that difficult today, we'll be forcing them into plan B.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, yeah, I actually think this shape could work pretty well with Hourihane and Lansbury - it'll be interesting to see how the front two do - if they look good and the back three look solid then Bruce might give us a chance to see that.

I agree this formation could would with 2 box to box guys in the middle. Gardner and Jedinak make it ultra defensive. 

Its not the shape i don't like, its the personnel.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The front 2 need quality service - I'd like a more creative midfield . 

If we persisted in this formation I wonder if green could play a wing bsck role in time ?

Just now, Eastie said:

If we persisted in this formation I wonder if green could play a wing bsck role in time ?

More creative than Hourihane and Lansbury? I think today's game will be about Grealish and whether he can unlock the defence - or whether Kodjia can make something out of nothing. I'm not sure Green has wing back in him.

• Like 1

We will never get a pattern of play if we swap formations, tactics and players so regularly. You need a constant to work with and improve on. I can see us sitting deep with little possession and hoping the front 3 Jack included can work some magic. 

Just now, Eastie said:

Thats the thing mate, they aren't going to get quality service  from Jedinak and Gardner, neither can pass a football. 

The more i look at that line up, the more ridiculous it seems. 

I guess playing so soon after Saturday, we don't want to risk any niggles ahead of next Sunday's Derby. It's not a very good team, however I can see the reasons for him selecting the team as he has done, and it gives players like Grealish and Gardner a chance to prove they have a part to play in the side or he gets rid of them. (Although in Gardner's case I don't see where that will come from).

Really looking forward to seeing Bree play, Amavi we had no real alternative and I suppose he wants to get Kodjia and Hogan playing together as soon as possible.

However RHM really need to get some minutes and would like to see him for at least half an hour, I really doubt Hogan and Kodjia will both last that long anyway. 

Just now, dn1982 said:

We will never get a pattern of play if we swap formations, tactics and players so regularly. 

Today is unusual though - it's a reaction to the ridiculous decision to move Friday's game to Saturday for Jesus.

More creative than Hourihane and Lansbury? I think today's game will be about Grealish and whether he can unlock the defence - or whether Kodjia can make something out of nothing. I'm not sure Green has wing back in him.

More creative than Jedi and Gardner ! Hourihane and Lansbury are fine .

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Thats the thing mate, they aren't going to get quality service  from Jedinak and Gardner, neither can pass a football. 

The more i look at that line up, the more ridiculous it seems. 

Jedinak and Gardner are in there to defend and to get the ball to Grealish I think. We're all counter attack today. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

We will never get a pattern of play if we swap formations, tactics and players so regularly. You need a constant to work with and improve on. I can see us sitting deep with little possession and hoping the front 3 Jack included can work some magic. 

After 6 months Bruce should have more idea of his formation and best team by now .

Jedinak and Gardner are in there to defend and to get the ball to Grealish I think. We're all counter attack today. 

Could go tits up if Fulham score early on - they will be pumped up for it - tIme to put on our tin hats and pray :)

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Jack hasn't played for weeks, its a bold move to expect Jack alone to provide all our creativity.