Pre match thread

theboyangel

After yesterday's woeful defensive showing (and short period between matches) I expect a few changes to be made. 

Neither amavi or bacuna should occupy the lb position but Taylor is likely to be missing through injury. 

I'd tempted to play Hutton there with bree at right back. 

..........Johnstone

bree.chester.baker.hutton

..............jedinak

......Lansbury....hourihane

adomah....kodjia.......green

subs: sarkic, elphick, Gardner, bacuna, amavi, hogan, rhm

All of our problems for this one are in one area.

So, here's the dilemma - down the left hand side, we currently have fit:

• Amavi
  • Grealish

Grealish isn't really a winger - we can play him there, but it's always going to be a bit tricky. 

We're definitely missing Bjarnason in so far as I'm aware. We're almost definitely missing Taylor.

Personally I wouldn't want to see Bacuna (or Adomah) down the left hand side again - we've tried that and it didn't work.

We might have one of these fit:

• Green 
  • Agbonlahor

If we do, then that at least gives us an option - but you'd wonder if either will be able to make 90 minutes - perhaps if they're both fit one can play and the other be on the bench.

I don't want to see us with a right back at left back - against these that would be a mistake I think.

I don't want to see us take one of the best strikers in the country and play him on the left wing, although that's a possibility - with Hogan the lone front man and Kodjia out left - again though, I think it weakens us too much.

So - I guess if Green/Agbonlahor is fit, one of those two starts on the left wing, if not then Grealish does - I think Amavi has to start at left back, pretty much regardless of what you made of his performance yesterday.

If Green/Agbonlahor aren't fit - then I'd change it, bring in Elphick and play Amavi and Hutton as wing backs - against a team as attacking as Fulham, there might be some merit in that, but it would make a team criticised for it defensive outlook even more defensive. It'd also mean dropping Adomah to keep us balanced.

So, for me:

----------------------Johnstone---------------------

---------Elphick------Chester-------Baker---------

Hutton---------------Jedinak----------------Amavi

---------Hourihane-------------Lansbury----------

------------------------Grealish---------------------

------------------------Kodjia-----------------------

Or:

---------Hogan-----------------Kodjia--------------

Or:

Hutton--------Chester--------Baker---------Amavi

-----------------------Jedinak-----------------------

Adomah-------------------------------Green/Gabby

-----------------------Kodjia-------------------------

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

All of our problems for this one are in one area.

So, here's the dilemma - down the left hand side, we currently have fit:

• Amavi
  • Grealish

Grealish isn't really a winger - we can play him there, but it's always going to be a bit tricky. 

We're definitely missing Bjarnason in so far as I'm aware. We're almost definitely missing Taylor.

Personally I wouldn't want to see Bacuna (or Adomah) down the left hand side again - we've tried that and it didn't work.

We might have one of these fit:

• Green 
  • Agbonlahor

If we do, then that at least gives us an option - but you'd wonder if either will be able to make 90 minutes - perhaps if they're both fit one can play and the other be on the bench.

I don't want to see us with a right back at left back - against these that would be a mistake I think.

I don't want to see us take one of the best strikers in the country and play him on the left wing, although that's a possibility - with Hogan the lone front man and Kodjia out left - again though, I think it weakens us too much.

So - I guess if Green/Agbonlahor is fit, one of those two starts on the left wing, if not then Grealish does - I think Amavi has to start at left back, pretty much regardless of what you made of his performance yesterday.

If Green/Agbonlahor aren't fit - then I'd change it, bring in Elphick and play Amavi and Hutton as wing backs - against a team as attacking as Fulham, there might be some merit in that, but it would make a team criticised for it defensive outlook even more defensive. It'd also mean dropping Adomah to keep us balanced.

So, for me:

------------------------Grealish---------------------

------------------------Kodjia-----------------------

Or:

---------Hogan-----------------Kodjia--------------

Or:

Hutton--------Chester--------Baker---------Amavi

-----------------------Jedinak-----------------------

Adomah-------------------------------Green

-----------------------Kodjia-------------------------

This ^

no Gaby

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Apparently he's injured so you're safe as houses. :)

How does a team spend what we've spent and have our shape completely and utterly decided by a nineteen year old's fitness?

I think its called

"You dont know what you're doing"

I was hung drawn and quartered on here for suggesting we needed 13, then 11and then 9 new players.

I also said at the beginning of this season we needed a series of managers to sort out the playing squad, RDM cleared out a lot, SB a few more, but we still have Hutton, Elphick, Richards, Gardner, Bacuna, Gaby, Kozak and now we can add McC to the list.

Its not only attitude, wages or ability that needed clearing out, it's this thought that too much of the squad lived through defeat after defeat, RL, TF, PR, AMcL, PL, TS & RG, how can they possibly adapt to a winning mentality.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Apparently he's injured so you're safe as houses. :)

How does a team spend what we've spent and have our shape completely and utterly decided by a nineteen year old's fitness?

Green is 18

• Like 1

Due to being geographically challenged, this may be my last chance to watch Villa play for awhile. I have to go to work tomorrow, but I don't care. I am staying up tonight, and I don't really give a shit if it is a win, loss, or a draw. ( Preferably win though). May, June and July are going to drag on way too slowly, and I need my fix.

Up the Villa!!!

• Like 1

We have played Fulham 65 times to date in both league and cup competitions. They have 21 wins, we have 22 and there have been 22 draws, so a win for them would make it all square. In league games alone we have 20 wins as do they and there have been 21 draws between us. The game we won at Villa Park earlier this season was our first victory against them since 2012 and we last won at Craven Cottage in 2010. 

Following on from Saturday's defeat I want a win or a draw at the worst to avoid us starting to slide down the table again. 2-0 would be nice.