Our match is on Saturday because ...

BOF

Local church

Aston Villa vs Reading: The reason the game kicks off 24 hours later than every other Championship fixture

Aston Villa will start the Easter weekend schedule a day later than their Championship rivals after putting the local community ahead of their promotion push.

The claret and blues’ clash with Reading kicks off at 3pm on Saturday as club officials agreed to leave Good Friday free of a Villa Park fixture following requests from the nearby church.

Aston Parish are hosting an Easter service between 12noon and 3pm this Friday and the congregation have experienced problems around the festive period in the past with football fans disrupting the day.

aston-church.jpg

As a goodwill gesture, Villa agreed to play their fixture with the Royals on Saturday instead of moving it back to allow for a longer rest-period ahead of Monday’s trip to Fulham.

Initially, all second-tier fixtures were scheduled to take place on April 15 but eleven of the twelve host clubs decided to take up the option of moving the game back a day or two to allow for extra recovery time.

Whether Villa will be disadvantaged when they travel to Craven Cottage early next week for their penultimate road trip of the season, remains to be seen.

The church, meanwhile, is pleased to have the most important weekend on the Christian calender free of disruption.

They argue that fixtures on religious days make it a misery for visitors to the church because of the road closures and the arrival of thousands of fans, coaches and street traders in the area.

Back in 1999, the then vicar, Rev Keith Sinclair, rang church bells throughout a match with Chelsea on Easter Sunday in protest.

And in 2013 church-goers held a ‘generous’protest outside the ground before the game with Liverpool.

On that day they handed out leaflets and hot-cross buns to make fans aware of their presence in the community

This year’s Good Friday service starts with the Aston Walk of Witness trail at Mount Zion Church.

A prayer trail around Aston Parish Church takes place between 12-3pm and at nearby Aston St James’ Church there is a Three Hours at the Cross service.

• Like 2

I was always taught that God is everywhere any way.  I tell you something, he's seen some sights in his time if he is :twisted: 

It's not a problem when they are stood outside the church trying to sell their religion to the thousands of football fans walking past with flyers. The churchgoers manage to park and get to the church then! Moan for the sake of moaning if you ask me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Well I'm of no religion so it would/could be easy for me to say f*** em.

However, as I believe everyone has their own individual right to believe in whatever they wish, I respect their wish to "do what they do" on their designated day.

Regardless of church goers being a minority compared to game goers, I can only applaud the club for their consideration.

A decision we wouldn't have made if we had anything to play for . 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I was always taught that God is everywhere any way.  I tell you something, he's seen some sights in his time if he is :twisted: 

I sometimes "feel" him when I'm sh@gging or is that just me?

Edited by Grasshopper

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

A decision we wouldn't have made if we had anything to play for . 

The world doesnt stop for football.

Maybe for Rock 'n Roll or Golf.......

I'll get me robe....

Just now, Grasshopper said:

The world doesnt stop for football.

Maybe for Rock 'n Roll or Golf.......

I'll get me robe....

Easter would have taken a back seat if we were in the play off hunt. This gesture is the club basically admitting our season is over .

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Easter would have taken a back seat if we were in the play off hunt. This gesture is the club basically admitting our season is over .

and I'm admitting I'm joking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Well I'm of no religion so it would/could be easy for me to say f*** em.

However, as I believe everyone has their own individual right to believe in whatever they wish, I respect their wish to "do what they do" on their designated day.

Regardless of church goers being a minority compared to game goers, I can only applaud the club for their consideration.

It's not a religion issue for me, it's a local community issue.

The club haven't moved the game because of religion, they've moved it because the church have asked them to.

I wouldn't applaud them for considering religion, but I do applaud them for considering the locals.

In the circumstances it's a good move as we'll get a bigger crowd on a Saturday IMO .   You'd have to think we'll make huge changes to the lineup for Monday which is probably a good thing too. 

Â