Bomb attack on Dortmund team bus

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Crazy how little attention this is getting, this is huge.

It's not really. Only one person injured and not even that severely. You need deaths to get coverage and moral outrage, a broken arm doesn't cut it.

Gotta love Dortmund and their fans (and Monaco's as well)

FAITH RESTORED: DORTMUND FANS LAY ON FABULOUS HOSPITALITY FOR STRANDED MONACO SUPPORTERS USING #BEDSFORAWAYFANS TWITTER CAMPAIGN

dortmund-monaco-beds-away-fans

While the enforced cancellation of Tuesday night’s Champions League quarter-final between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco was obviously a distressing turn of events, there did at least emerge from the morass a shining beacon of hope for humanity.

As you’re doubtlessly aware, the match was abandoned after the Dortmund bus was caught up in a series of explosions en route to Signal Iduna Park before kick-off.

Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured and the match was quickly rescheduled for 18:45 the following day, though the upshot was that several thousand travelling Monaco fans were suddenly left stranded in Dortmund without overnight accommodation.

However, within minutes of the match being called off, BVB themselves emitted a Tweet to alert Monaco fans that should they need a place to stay and/or eat, they could use the #BedForAwayFans and #TableForAwayFans hashtags to get in touch with locals who were offering just that.

The Bundesliga side then also announced that they would happily subsidise Monaco fans up to €80 (roughly £70) to stay in hotels in the city should that be their only option.

Sure enough, a raft of photos began to emerge on Twitter of groups of supporters dining and mingling together…

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/champions_league/254274/faith-restored-dortmund-fans-lay-on-fabulous-hospitality-for-stranded-monaco-supporters-using-bedsforawayfans-twitter-campaign.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's not really. Only one person injured and not even that severely. You need deaths to get coverage and moral outrage, a broken arm doesn't cut it.

I think the fact that one of the most famous teams in world football was bombed would make it a huge story in itself despite there fortunately being no casualties, but I see your point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

The two church bombings in Egypt haven't even been mentioned on VT AFAIK . 

SHOCK NEWS!  Aetheist football fans more interested in football than churches!  ;)

Yes, you're right.  But this is way more of an unusual occurrence than bombings in the Middle East - thankfully for us, not so much for ordinary folk over there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

1) scariest thing about this is the sense of inevitability that football would be hit, besiktas a few months back, Paris, now mobile detonated attacks on the route they knew they'd take (I think)

2) I hope Dortmund and Monaco fans have the greatest knees up known to football tonight, seen pics of them mingling, tweets from Dortmund fans offering them rooms etc most tribalistic sport in the world (?) picking on the wrong crowd...

Call me very naïve but I've always held out small hope sport and Football in particular would be exempt from terrorist attacks due to even the bad guys liking football teams and players. Bin Laden infamously supported Arsenal and even went to a game at Highbury after all.

I know the Paris attacks happened but to me that was the terrorists attacking the venues they wanted to first and then realising there was a major football match on in the city so they'd thought they'd have a go at that aswell so turned up halfway through when everyone was inside and they couldn't enter. Dread to think what would've happened if they had.                                       

When you look at the crowds and worldwide exposure major football events provide I think it's only a matter of time before a major incident occurs. The Dortmund bus could easily have been that. Just have to ramp up security even more and hope for the best like in everyday events.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When you look at the crowds and worldwide exposure major football events provide I think it's only a matter of time before a major incident occurs. The Dortmund bus could easily have been that. Just have to ramp up security even more and hope for the best like in everyday events.

Sadly I agree, its only a matter of time before a full stadium is attacked or even outside one before a game.

I desperately hope I am wrong. 

Are people forgetting the attack on the Stade de France two years ago? 

The threat to sport is already very real and has been some time, Man United hired a head of terrorism last year for a reason.

Don't forget the farce over the suspicious package at Old Trafford, the were checking for a reason.

Great scenes between Dortmund and Monaco fans following yesterday's attack.

meanwhile, in Madrid, Leicester fans are trying to endear themselves to the local constabulary..... 

you'd thought the nobs would at least take a day off wouldn't you? 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sadly I agree, its only a matter of time before a full stadium is attacked or even outside one before a game.

I desperately hope I am wrong. 

I actually saw someone mentioned the Besiktas bombing which is probably the worst bit of terrorism to hit on a matchday so far....sadly Turkey is a bit of a hostage to Geography given it borders Syria.

Yeah Trent I referenced Stade de France but given the chain of events it wasn't the main target that night otherwise they'd have turned up when the 80k were all turning up to enter the game which would've been maximum carnage.

Eventually someone with a bomb or package will get in, people with flares do given the amount that are smuggled in and let off during games.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I actually saw someone mentioned the Besiktas bombing which is probably the worst bit of terrorism to hit on a matchday so far....sadly Turkey is a bit of a hostage to Geography given it borders Syria.

Yeah I keep bringing that up along with Paris as they've clearly left peoples minds probably because of the more serious non football incidents since. Sport is though very much a target and will continue to be, although I think other sports are softer targets than football. As for Turkey, don't get me started..... sure their geography is an issue but the biggest issue is the man turning it from a modern secular society to a extremist and backward hotbed of radicalism and terrorism.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The Besiktas bombing was 2 hours after the match had finished.

As it is, where the besiktas stadium is located is next to one of the main arteries to the rest of Istanbul and also the main ferry hub to the Asian side.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Trent I referenced Stade de France but given the chain of events it wasn't the main target that night otherwise they'd have turned up when the 80k were all turning up to enter the game which would've been maximum carnage.

I think its safe to say they wanted maximum exposure and for the explosions to happen inside the packed stand in front of the worlds TV camera's.

Personally I think it was the main target of the attacks it just didn't go to plan.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

SHOCK NEWS!  Aetheist football fans more interested in football than churches!  ;)

Yes, you're right.  But this is way more of an unusual occurrence than bombings in the Middle East - thankfully for us, not so much for ordinary folk over there.

I do find it shocking that the Dortmund attack was given more coverage than the Egypt ones . (Even on a football forum)  I have no idea what atheism has to do with any of this.? .

We are humans first and football fans second. 45+ dead humans should  have raised more concern than a footballer requiring hand surgery. 

It's as if people only care when there's a possibility that it could directly affect themselves. (Which everyone is guilty of to be fair)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I do find it shocking that the Dortmund attack was given more coverage than the Egypt ones . (Even on a football forum)  I have no idea what atheism has to do with any of this.? .

We are humans first and football fans second. 45+ dead humans should  have raised more concern than a footballer requiring hand surgery. 

It's as if people only care when there's a possibility that it could directly affect themselves. (Which everyone is guilty of to be fair)

We go through this same thing every time there is an attack in Europe at roughly the same time as there is an attack in the region of the Middle East.

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We go through this same thing every time there is an attack in Europe at roughly the same time as there is an attack in the region of the Middle East.

Oh I know . Just thought it was strange that people were wondering why this wasn't bigger news, when there was a significantly worse event that barely got a mention. Even when you factor in the football element it still seems weird. 

Edited by Brumerican

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

There's a button at the top of the page which lets you create a thread about it.

Â