Pre-match thread

turvontour

I think we’ll win this and I also hope Reading stay down this season. They’re one of the only clubs that I feel we can beat whenever, wherever (only other would be Sunderland off the top of my head, and hopefully increasingly QPR).

Got no idea how they’ve made the playoffs – don’t recall ever seeing a team promoted with negative goal difference.

It's sod's law that one of the form teams in the league take an unmerciful hiding the game before facing us.  Had results gone our way at the weekend then we'd be going into this very tricky and highly important tie with Jaap Stam's side desperate to bounce back from a 7-1 mauling.  As it happened, it appears as though there is nothing but pride at stake for us now.  But the footballing Gods had their fun regardless.  If that hadn't been difficult enough then the scheduling Gods were on hand to ensure we got less rest than everyone else for the game afterwards, versus Fulham.

Away from home Reading are not the same force as they are at the Madejski.  They've lost 10 from 20 and they have an away goal difference of minus 18, for a side sitting 4th overall in the league that's hard to comprehend.  4-1 @ Newcastle, 4-1 @ Brentford, 5-0 @ Fulham, 3-0 @ Brighton & 3-0 @ Preston added to their most recent 7-1 effort at Carrow Road are the pick of the bunch.

Suffice it to say they have a poor defence.  Indeed their away defence is 22nd in the league (42 goals).  Only Norwich (43) and Rotherham (61) have conceded more.  Have I mentioned this is a side sitting 4th and comfortably in the playoffs?  Yes, I think I have.  Recent form was good though, and they are where they are for a reason.

Villa can become the first side this season to do the double over them if we pick up the 3 points having done them 2-1 back in October thanks to Kodjia & Ayew.

7dae0e240fa3e6d54e77283d1ed701f7.png

• Like 4

Not sure why the Reading & Fulham games are so close together, bit unfair as the other fixtures are on a Friday.

Not sure how we'll manage but I reckon the fixture scheduling means that @Designer1's 85-0 film caption for the Fulham game is guaranteed to be a scene from either "48 Hours" or "The Day After Tomorrow".

• Like 4

In all the praise of Wagner and Huddersfield I'd say Jaap Stam has done just as well if not more in his debut managerial season in England.

Reading have some decent young players but their squad isn't all that, they have Yann Kermogrant as main striker and he's about 46 now.

Why are we playing on Saturday anyway? SB was criticising it the other day so looks like someone at the club forgot to ring the FA to move it like all the other championship fixtures unless WMP refused the move.

Reading have yet to beat us at Villa Park. They have lost 9 on the bounce in league and cup at Villa Park since they drew their first game 1-1 (with our goal coming from Harry Hampton) in 1912 before they went on to win the FA Cup replay. We have played Reading 20 times in all having won 16 of them. They last beat us 10 years ago. Our biggest win against them was a 5-1 FA Cup win in 1930. 5-1 would also do nicely on Saturday!  

• Like 3

GK (a youth/reserve)

Bree Chester Baker Taylor

Jedi

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane Amavi

Kodjia

-------------------------------------

(  Lansbury Jedi Hourihane

Adomah Kodjia Amavi  )

Subs

Selection of

GK - Youth defenders - MF  - Lyden (if fit) Youth MF's (if we have any) - Attacking players - Grealish, Green, Hogan, RHM.

Go for it - Dominate the game defensively, in MF and up front.

Replace 1st teamers with a mix of squad/youth one at a time (no subs in 88th min)

For reasons stated in previous posts

The result is not the be all and end all, as is possesion stats.

Signs of the ability to dominate a game, creating more and better scoring opportunities than conceeding them. No Hoofing. Sensible passing.

(Bruce has proved we are capable of getting results - not all the time -  playing shit) 

So lets see if he can do it playing ????? football (? = however you want to describe it) as he is obviously here for the time being (against my will if I may add)

Edited by Grasshopper

On 11/04/2017 at 21:14, Xela said:

If we don't win 7-1 like Norwich did and have at least 51% possession I am going to go **** mental. 

We beat Norwich 2-0 though so I'd be expecting 9-1 at the very least

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chappy said:

We beat Norwich 2-0 though so I'd be expecting 9-1 at the very least

You make a compelling point. Although Norwich had 69% possession which means they got 5 points and we had to settle for 3. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Any reason we are playing tomorrow and not today? Blues are away today so that would not clash. Can someone enlighten me please?

Look in the other thread in this topic. All explained there