• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

There appears to be a video out there of a military Commander in charge of a draft centre in Iruktusk getting shot (and possibly dying), it's not graphic though you do see him going down but it's still not something I'm putting here

One way on not getting drafted I suppose. It does show how desperate these people are not to go to a war they have no choice in

Something is definitely happening, another 5 manned aircraft claimed as downed yesterday (4 heli, 1 plane), there haven't been this amount of downed manned aircraft in such a short space of time for a while. Not so long ago, we'd go days on end with no aircraft shot down at all, now 10 in a weekend.

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Something is definitely happening, another 5 manned aircraft claimed as downed yesterday (4 heli, 1 plane), there haven't been this amount of downed manned aircraft in such a short space of time for a while. Not so long ago, we'd go days on end with no aircraft shot down at all, now 10 in a weekend.

Iris-T and NASAMS were delivered last week. Wonder if Ukraine are using them for offence rather than an umbrella over their cities.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

How much do these planes cost each? Aren’t they about $40m each? 

If so they’re getting on for about a billion dollars worth of losses out of the sky alone (and they can’t just simply reorder them either).

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Out of interest, how long does it to take to build a fighter jet (ignoring the obvious variables). Roughly I mean.

I don't think it would be possible to build just 1. At least not at any kind of reasonable cost. You would need to set up supply contracts and a factory line for a whole set of jets to benefit from economies of scale to make it work 

Eurofighters are about USD 125m a pop apparently.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Out of interest, how long does it to take to build a fighter jet (ignoring the obvious variables). Roughly I mean.

How long is a piece of string? It’s not a simple question. Think of car manufacturing.  Morgan make a small number of cars a year.  Toyota and VW each make hundreds of thousands a year, of their established models. But if a production line is shut down and needs reconfiguring for a new model, then there’s no cars made for a month.

Same with fighter jets. Is the build line and all the fitters and inspectors sat there ready and waiting, or does it all have to be started up from scratch again? Are all the components available? What’s the lead time for an engine from the engine manufacturer? And for the ejection seat? and the canopy…and for the computers, radios, weapons systems, hydraulics, conditioning…

And what about pre delivery testing?

In essence if you have a production line already churning out aircraft, adding more onto the run is relatively straightforward, but if a factory is not building them currently, restarting is much slower and more complex.

With Russia, there’s further factors that slow it down. Obsolescence of parts, non availability of parts due to sanctions and so on…

Shorter answer “months”

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

This man / youth clearly gives no f***s about what he's doing here.

Hes doing a pretty good job. I do wonder if in his haste he has trashed his own vehicle and has a long walk home. That would be very Russian. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I’m starting to get the feeling I has for a period before the wall fell. Something’s happening, I feel it in my joints. 

You should stop smoking them, then!  :)

• Haha 2

Â