Pre Season 2017/18

Tidy couple of games for me. Good to see Bruce at the game where he played Amavi, Veretout and Samba. Obviously shows he sees a potenital future in them you may think? All positive fo rme as long as Adomah and Baker are not too injured, just a shame neither Hogan or McCormack in 90 minutes when we got 7 goals across the two games. Form team across the two games for me was:

GK: Sarkic (Both he and Bunn were not testing but I thought his kicking was better and he made one decent save)

RB: Hutton (Bree was good, better in second half linking up with the kids in front of him, but Hutton edged it for me)

CB: Samba (Won everything in the air, tackled well, one a few good 1 on 1's, made a few good runs, and the alternative was Richards...!))

CB: Chester (baker came of injured, none of the other kids did much apart from that run for the penalty)

LB: Amavi (Lots of changes at let back in other game, 3 in all)

RW: O:Hare (adomah of injured, Tish out of position, O'Hare livley I thought) and great cross for Gabbys goal)

CM: Veretout (Lansbury did well with 2 pens, could have gone either way here, just thought he looked commited and passed well, good to see)

CM: Houraine (great set peices and overall play, some good kids today, but little from Gardner)

LW: Green (looked class, lucky goal,  unlucky with another that hit the bar, but linked with Amavi well. BB did ok, worked hard and could have scored one, would have if Hogan passed at one point.)

STR: Davis (Gabby did a bit and finshed a move well with his head, but thought Davis did well, won the penalty well and linked up with the other players well, held it up ok too)

STR: Hogan (did well first half, tired a bit on the second, shame he didnt score, but looked ok. Little form McCormack I thought)

Mental how big our squad is considering we put out two decent sides here with loads of others not even inovlved, GK (probably SJ, DeLaet, Terry, Elphick, Taylor, Cissokoh, Kodja, Bacuna, Jack, Jedinak, Steer, RHM, Sellers (don't think he came on did he?)...

Edited by jimcohen
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jimcohen said:

Mental how big our squad is considering we put out two decent sides here with loads of others not even inovlved, GK (probably SJ, DeLaet, Terry, Elphick, Taylor, Cissokoh, Kodja, Bacuna, Jack, Jedinak, Steer, RHM, Sellers (don't think he came on did he?)...

I think Sellers has been sold.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:
13 hours ago, jimcohen said:

I think Sellers has been sold.

Yep, well, technically we didn't renew his contract @ end of June so we released him and Cheltenham snapped him up.

So in general yesterday the players we knew to be good were good and the players we knew to be bad were bad.  The only surprises were the youngsters.  Chief among which was Callum O'Hare who was involved in 3 of the 4 goals and could have had one of his own.  Interesting. At only 77 days younger than Keinan Davis and older than RHM he might be the next one to make a breakthrough.

FYI he had the most assists (4) for us in last season's PL2 campaign.

Is O'Hare a forward or winger? Handy to have as a bench winger if he keeps this form up. Early days of course. Be interesting how Bruce reacts to the performances this week for the next one. I presume he will stick with his preferred starters out of form to try and force some form, like Hogan. But what of McCormack? He had an average game and I cant see him starting against Hull, so will he get less minutes. Then what of the ones who may be leaving. Play to prove they are fit and attract scouts? Or bench so we can focus on preparing our players who will play in the Hull game. Thinking of Amavi and Veretout. I love pre-season! All hope and no reality!

Amended my form team of pre-season thus far based on all 4 games played. 

GK: Johnstone - Not really been tested, but also not put a foot wrong yet, decent distribution and positioning. 

RB: Bree - Linked well with attacking players last night, offers more than Hutton going forward and looked solid at the back. Made one mistake but made up for it with his pace. 

CB: Samba - If Chester had played more it would be him. but that's a contract for Samba now once Elphick has gone you would assume. 

CB: Terry - Touch of class, Great passing and composure. One time when he played it out I just saw every other defender hoofing it, he played it out and we set up a nice attack from it. 

LB: Taylor - Unspectacular, but solid. 

RW: O:Hare - In his short time on the pitch he did more for me than anyone else thus far. 

CM: Lansbury - Not amazing, and some bad/ambitious passes, but also some great ones, and got stuck in last night which was pleasing, and 3 pens from 3. 

CM: Houraine - No one has really stood out, but a goal and an assist and some decent play in the first 3 mins last night. 

LW: Green - Quiet last night but so far player of pre season in an attacking sense. 

STR: I am honestly drawing a blank here

STR: And I usually like to be so positive!

On 14/07/2017 at 10:20, jimcohen said:

Is O'Hare a forward or winger?

The OS has him as a striker.

Callum O'Hare joined Villa at the age of seven and signed his first professional contract in December 2015.

A highly-rated striker from Solihull, the youngster has progressed through the age groups at Bodymoor Heath up until U23 level.

He has played a focal role in Villa's U23 Premier League 2 2016/17 matches to date.

Last season, O'Hare starred for Ben Petty's U18 side - netting five goals in their opening 10 league fixtures.

O'Hare was also in and around the U21 set-up this past season - coming on as a second half impact substitute in wins over West Ham and Brighton as well as in their Barclays U21 Premier League Division Two play-off final defeat.

He also captained Villa's U18 side in a number of their 2015/16 matches and was part of the 2016 Hong Kong Soccer 7s winning squad. 

Thanks BOF, yeah that's what I thought, but he looked very comfortable at RW in the friendly the other day and very much as a right midfield rather than a wide forward. Shame we can't give him more game time. There is obviously so much going on we don't know about but for me, if a kid comes on and plays like that and our senior players are not exactly smashing it up, it does baffle me why we don't then give him another 30 mins to see what he can do. What are we learning by playing Amavi for 90 minutes, or is that just to try and sell him. Prove he is fit? 

we have a 30/45mins a game thingy on Sunday, a "cant get any info" about Tue v Vitesse then the big one v Watford kn sat.

So it looks like Watford is the last reference we have to how the much revered preseason has gone..

So whats the excuse (sorry reason)?

1 Elmo & GW need more time to gel

2 Oh we miss Kodjia

3 Bruce knows whats wrong he just needs more time and more players to fix it

4 players arent good enough/wont do what SB says

5 2 managers (CL & 4 promotions), a few million in and loads of millions out,  complete squad overhaul - thats football

6 tough league this, loads of shite teams in it, still tough mind..   

My moneys on nr 3

Edited by Grasshopper

20 hours ago, DK82 said:

Nobody wants the trophy :crylaugh:

Yeah I saw that, bit embarrassing and a little disrespectful from the ads, but who cares. The trophy was proper budget. 

Good to see some strikers finally hit some form, and some real nice passages of play and finally some pressing up the top. I hope this is a sign of things to come. 

• Like 1

Â