Paladins

RunRickyRun

The F2P hero shooter, Paladins, has recently hit the PS4 as a beta and I have enjoyed playing it.

It is very similar to Overwatch, for those used to that game, with a few subtle differences. 

The champions are more rounded, meaning that supports and tanks can output a fair amount of damage. There is no hero switching (rather there are moba-esque upgrades you can level up to counter certain set ups). Ultimates are far less powerful meaning the inevitable team wipes you get in Overwatch are rarely seen.

It's obviously less polished & not as well voice acted but it's a decent game in its own right.

So far it's not pay2win. All the champions can be unlocked with the founders pack (around £10-15) and the loadout cards can be bought with minimal grinding (I have been able to get the cards I want for any hero by about level 4). Aside from the founders pack, I can't see any reason to spend money in the game as the cosmetics are very basic at the moment. The only incentive may be to purchase xp boosts to decrease the time it takes to get into competitive play (at the moment it will probably take 20-30 hours to qualify)

So far it's not pay2win

Enjoy the game while you can. Hi-Rez have form for this. They'll make a great game, draw people in, then they'll start shoving the over-priced pay-to-win items in the game, let them ruin the game for a week or two until people cave and buyt them, nerf them in to the ground, rinse and repeat. They'll do that until the playerbase has had enough, then drop support and release their next cash cow.

**** them. They fooled me with Global Agenda and Tribes Ascend, I'm not falling for it again.

• 5 months later...

The game is going from strength to strength and I am finding myself playing it more than Overwatch these days.

So far there is no pay2win but the grind for newer players is longer and there are now four (yes four!) ingame currencies. However they have just released Raeve Maeve which is probably the best skin in any game:

Â