• Hogan
    • Amavi (Hogan 36)
    • Gardner (Hourihane 69)
    • Green (Lansbury 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Yep, great run indeed,  but Norwich 69% possession and 10 corners to our 2. We won’t go on winning games if we keep that up.

We have tried being the better team.....away at Brighton and Huddersfield.

When you are winning and not conceding, you are doing something right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Yep, great run indeed,  but Norwich 69% possession and 10 corners to our 2. We won’t go on winning games if we keep that up.

You can say that but in the last 7 games, 6 of them won, we have had over 50% possession only once.

And yet we have won six matches each with a clean sheet and lost one narrowly by a single goal.

So there looks to be a lot more resilience to our football than you are allowing just based on raw stats.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigJim said:

But what were they doing with all that possession and opportunity?

does that not pose questions about them?

5 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Not sure I agree. I've watched all except the Huddersfield game of the last 7 and don't think we've been the better side in any of them.

But we've won 6, six clean sheets, and now have a resolute defence, a lot of character, and we create enough ( albeit not much) to win games.

I dong think Bruce is interested in building a Ferrari, he is building - successfully now - a steamroller.

Norwich played by far the 'better' football I agree, - but they are rightly well regarded as an attacking side - but our football wasn't poor, we fought well, we defended well, we broke well - for the most part (despite getting sucked into getting too deep from the hour mark).

Minus points for me were Gardner - for him to be our midfield backup is desperate, and our fans, despite a few of us singing ourselves hoarse the Holte only came alive at 2-0.......and why 'Birmingham City we're coming for you' ?? Why not 'Sheffield Wednesday '........!!

• Like 1

I think its just Bruce's way, he's never played expansive free flowing football at any of the teams he's managed. He makes teams hard to beat first and foremost which allows other teams more possession.

It's working now, but needs a clinical striker as not many chances are created playing in this way, prime example shown earlier in the season when Kodjia was away.

Edited by Junxs
spelling mistakes
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

When you score and don't concede.......the rest is academic.

Not sure I agree, performances matter. The good thing is I think the performances are coming together. 

Not Barcelona performances, but that's not important.

Solid defensively, full of character, dangerous on the break. And - thankfully - a slight shift in emphasis towards getting forward when possible.

55 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think its just Bruce's way, he's never played expansive free following football at any of the teams he's managed. He makes teams hard to beat first and foremost which allows other teams more possession.

It's working now, but needs a clinical striker as not many chances are created playing in this way, prime example shown earlier in the season when Kodjia was away.

To an extent it is Bruces way......but his first priority is to build confidence at a club that has been devoid of it in every corner for the past 7 years or so.He  has always been at clubs that needed to play that way, due to theirs/his circumstances.

It may well be we will evolve like Stoke has and introduce the eye catching football on the platform of resilience in due course.

First things first.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

What is it with Villa and possession, its an embarrassing state, especially when you consider the opposition in a lot of them games . For me ,when we're at home it should be a given that we have more of the ball . We're a big club, last time I checked. 

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

But what were they doing with all that possession and opportunity?

does that not pose questions about them?

I agree, it does.  I was simply pointing out that, in terms of general probability, teams that post stats like ours week in, week out seem more likely to be doing poorly than doing well.

Bruce is beating those odds for now, and all credit to him for that. I'm certainly happy with the points, but I would love to see us playing more fluid stuff - I'm sure we all would.

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I agree, performances matter. The good thing is I think the performances are coming together. 

Not Barcelona performances, but that's not important.

Solid defensively, full of character, dangerous on the break. And - thankfully - a slight shift in emphasis towards getting forward when possible.

Performances do matter Terry, I quite agree.....but those performance have to include the defensive side of the game too, as you quite rightly highlight.

I think as time progresses and confidence is restored to not only the team, but the club as a whole and players evolve from season to season, that will come.

Right now, we have players who are good at some things and not necessarily good at others........but we had to start somewhere and we have IMO.

We will build in to that team we all want us to be, some players will get better, some will go and the juggernaut roles on, getting better along the way.

These Results we are presiding over, will help enormously in acheiving those better/more complete performances in the future.

but at the moment, resilience, is the order of the day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I agree, it does.  I was simply pointing out that, in terms of general probability, teams that post stats like ours week in, week out seem more likely to be doing poorly than doing well.

Bruce is beating those odds for now, and all credit to him for that. I'm certainly happy with the points, but I would love to see us playing more fluid stuff - I'm sure we all would.

I agree with you and to some degree playing a little bit of devils advocate.......but,

slowly, slowly, catch a monkey.......first things first.

Confidence Build, priority no 1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What is it with Villa and possession, its an embarrassing state, especially when you consider the opposition in a lot of them games . For me ,when we're at home it should be a given that we have more of the ball . We're a big club, last time I checked. 

not long ago when I checked......we couldn't buy a win at home( thats what I call embarrassing)......can't remember the stats something like 4 wins in 18 months or something like that.

WIP.....thats what we are.

• Like 1

Â