• Hogan
    • Amavi (Hogan 36)
    • Gardner (Hourihane 69)
    • Green (Lansbury 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Norwich were playing a lot of possession football but did nothing with it. Every time we got the ball we were playing it up quickly. Most of the time it didn't work but on 1 occasion a ball to Hogan gets knocked into the path of the run of the best forward in the league and he buries it. The next time it rolls past a defender and that dangerous striker is on it again slotting past the keeper.

Johnstone didn't have a lot to do because while they had possession they couldn't make it count. The hobbits in the middle were very tidy, finding space constantly but the back 4 was up to everything.

Cant disagree enough with this post.

Norwich had more shots than us today and only thanks to some smart work from Sam (never thought od say that) they would have scored a few.  Thats ehat 69% posession got them

They also spent 3 times as long in our box as we did in theres and but for jerome not being as good as kodjia should have made more of what they created.

Similarly we didnt only create two chances, we missed a couple of sitters ourselves ( houihans header against the bar comes to mind) so to make out like we scored our only 2 chances is way off for me as is making out norwich did nothing with their posession. Both asserions are pure fantasy.

You also mention that johnstone didnt have much to do yet i believe he made more saves in this game than any other since he joined us. So another assertion that just simply isnt true.

The 'hobbits in the middle' as you call them were all absent for much of the hame and had amoungst the poorest passes attempted and passes completed stats of any on the pitch today. Bar lansburys tackling back the midfield by in large were poor today and were rightly bypassed for most of the second half.

On a seperate note delighted with the win today and i sincerely hope SB contines to rub my face in it ( as i said we needed to savk him to move forward and start winning) 

Happy to be proven wrong and made a fool of for many more games!

That said, i really hope he can improves performances as we look like a terrible football team...

• Like 1

I think it might be a bit harsh to say Hourihane missed a 'sitter' with that header... apart from the keeper there were also three defenders in front of the goal. Anyway, at least it hit the bar, it was very close! 

By the way, someone earlier said that's all he did in the game but I thought he put in a great cross for Hogan's shot which their keeper saved very well, tipping it round the post.

Edited by robby b

5 hours ago, TRO said:

not long ago when I checked......we couldn't buy a win at home( thats what I call embarrassing)......can't remember the stats something like 4 wins in 18 months or something like that.

WIP.....thats what we are.

"WIP..... thats what we are." :huh:  :detect:  Wobbly impatient penguins? Wombles in prison? Winter in Penrith? Etc... No, none of these seemed to fit the context, so then I looked for it on the internet: work in progress. It's just as well we have Google these days, I could have been trying to work it out all night otherwise! There seems to be a lot of acronyms these days!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robby b said:

"WIP..... thats what we are." :huh:  :detect:  Wobbly impatient penguins? Wombles in prison? Winter in Penrith? Etc... No, none of these seemed to fit the context, so then I looked for it on the internet: work in progress. It's just as well we have Google these days, I could have been trying to work it out all night otherwise! There seems to be a lot of acronyms these days!

I'm sorry, you are right.....it was unintentionally rude of me.

we are very much work in progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Really ?

I would also be interested in an answer to the question. It's not obvious to me that having more than 50% possession at home is important in any way whatsoever. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would also be interested in an answer to the question. It's not obvious to me that having more than 50% possession at home is important in any way whatsoever. 

Well, there are more home wins than away wins and I thought it was obvious that the team with the most possession is more likely to win. Ergo, if you are at home and have more possession statistically you should win.

I don't have any real stats to back this up, though. In fact I was surprised to find, looking just at today's Championship results, that four teams won with less possession and four teams won with more possession. I still doubt that the % possession is a random factor of no significance. But I am open to persuasion to the contrary.

8 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Cant disagree enough with this post.

Norwich had more shots than us today and only thanks to some smart work from Sam (never thought od say that) they would have scored a few.  Thats ehat 69% posession got them

They also spent 3 times as long in our box as we did in theres and but for jerome not being as good as kodjia should have made more of what they created.

Similarly we didnt only create two chances, we missed a couple of sitters ourselves ( houihans header against the bar comes to mind) so to make out like we scored our only 2 chances is way off for me as is making out norwich did nothing with their posession. Both asserions are pure fantasy.

You also mention that johnstone didnt have much to do yet i believe he made more saves in this game than any other since he joined us. So another assertion that just simply isnt true.

The 'hobbits in the middle' as you call them were all absent for much of the hame and had amoungst the poorest passes attempted and passes completed stats of any on the pitch today. Bar lansburys tackling back the midfield by in large were poor today and were rightly bypassed for most of the second half.

You seem very determined to disagree with things I haven't actually said. Please show me the 'pure fantasy' where I said we only created 2 chances. The hobbits in the middle I was referring to were Pritchard and Naismith. Both were excellent and gave us lots of problems. But I stand by Johnstone not having much to do - that's not saying he had nothing to do, he may well have been less busy in other games, but he certainly wasn't being peppered.

So, a bit weird. You thoroughly disagree with everything I said, yet nothing I actually said.

You could say we didn't need possession when we were a goal up, they had the urgency as they were chasing the game, however I do think we should be dominating games with the money we have spent, and being at home.

This is the concern, concede that amount of possession, corners and shots in the PL and we'd have lost (on avaerage), this is why we are not ready to go up, let's not kid ourselves.

But I don't want to moan as 6 wins in 7 and only a single goal conceded is excellent and despite our damaged fans psychology, we really must have a very solid defence nowadays?

Leicester won the Premier League last year and have made it to the quarterfinals of the Champions League without dominating possession or most other stats. When it comes down to it, in 90minutes if you score two goals and the other team score none, very little else matters. If this continues game after game, again, very little little else matters!

We look really strong at the minute. It's primarily down to SB forming a good defensive unit which communicates well and benefitting from a clinical, skilful striker who is on form and clearly backs himself in most situations. 

• Like 2

Tbh i couldn't see Norwich scoring yesterday. All this talk of spending a lot of time in our half and dominating possession yet I can't remember a single time they looked properly threatening. We had them at arms length!

We looked dangerous on the break yesterday, with kodge adoma and amavi playing really well.

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What is it with Villa and possession, its an embarrassing state, especially when you consider the opposition in a lot of them games . For me ,when we're at home it should be a given that we have more of the ball . We're a big club, last time I checked. 

Embarrassing state? We won 2-0 FFS

5 hours ago, BigJim said:

Well, there are more home wins than away wins and I thought it was obvious that the team with the most possession is more likely to win. Ergo, if you are at home and have more possession statistically you should win.

I don't have any real stats to back this up, though. In fact I was surprised to find, looking just at today's Championship results, that four teams won with less possession and four teams won with more possession. I still doubt that the % possession is a random factor of no significance. But I am open to persuasion to the contrary.

This makes absolutely no sense. We had less possession today and won...

So statistically your statistics are wrong.

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This team isn't good enough to go on the sort of run where you win six out of seven games and barely concede a goal - keep thatt to yourself though; I'm pretty sure they don't know.

Great summing up, we are yet to play well for 90 mins of a game and we've recovered from a horrendous run by seemingly not playing much better football and miraculously smashing our way up the table on championship winning form. WT actual F? How does that work?

31 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Great summing up, we are yet to play well for 90 mins of a game and we've recovered from a horrendous run by seemingly not playing much better football and miraculously smashing our way up the table on championship winning form. WT actual F? How does that work?

Jimmer Danger

Â