Amsterdam, Brussels, or Stockholm?

Czechlad

I am traveling in September and I want to go to a new city. I'd only have 1-2 days there, so I was wondering which of those three are the best to see?

I like the look of Amsterdam. Not interested in doing any of the drugs, but rather site seeing and exploring, so would it be better to go to Brussels or Stockholm for that? 

Have to admit I didn't like dam (although I have to go again for a stag in June yippee :() thought it wax quite pricey and abit sleazy. Food was decent though and some good sites.

liked Stockholm but a ill pricey. Haven't been Brussels so can't really help there unfortunately. Where's that tony guy when you need him? ;)

Edited by Demitri_C

Depends what you like 

Stockholm has a decent shipwreck museum and scenic boat trip ,changing if the guard thing on certain dates is quite good ... goes without saying its bloody expensive 

Amsterdam -... sober then it has boat trips , fairly decent history museum ,the boring Madame Tussaud's , and of course the sex museum ...Heineken tour is ok for killing time as well :)

I managed an Ajax game on one of my visits that was good fun ...beer wise there are enough places to do a decent pub crawl , tiger bar is always fun to sit by the window with a beer and then time the blokes going into the hookers opposite and taking bets with your mate on how long they will be :)

its probably got the most to do out of the 3

Brussels - I went there for work and was pleasantly surprised  ... its not the biggest place but it was just sorta nice to walk about and take in a few sights ..mainly buildings no real wow factor though... got the pink elephant bar (delirium I think it's called) with 2000 different beers , I tried to work my way through them all but got addicted to champagne beer and stayed on that 

all 3 are pleasant and have their charm ... even if I wouldn't put them top of any "best of " lists 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Depends what you like 

Stockholm has a decent shipwreck museum and scenic boat trip ,changing if the guard thing on certain dates is quite good ... goes without saying its bloody expensive 

Amsterdam -... sober then it has boat trips , fairly decent history museum ,the boring Madame Tussaud's , and of course the sex museum ...Heineken tour is ok for killing time as well :)

I managed an Ajax game on one of my visits that was good fun ...beer wise there are enough places to do a decent pub crawl , tiger bar is always fun to sit by the window with a beer and then time the blokes going into the hookers opposite and taking bets with your mate on how long they will be :)

its probably got the most to do out of the 3

Brussels - I went there for work and was pleasantly surprised  ... its not the biggest place but it was just sorta nice to walk about and take in a few sights ..mainly buildings no real wow factor though... got the pink elephant bar (delirium I think it's called) with 2000 different beers , I tried to work my way through them all but got addicted to champagne beer and stayed on that 

all 3 are pleasant and have their charm ... even if I wouldn't put them top of any "best of " lists 

Hmm that is interesting. Amsterdam from what I can tell is very expensive. It's going to cost me about £250 for one night near where most the attractions are. That seems ridiculously overpriced. 

I've also always wanted to go to Sweden. I am just struggling to find super interesting things to do there. 

I have a friend currently in Brussels. She says it's really nice and has good food. Much cheaper than the other two places as well.

I am also now considering Germany, but it's so big. I am not sure if it's better to go to Munich or Berlin.

49 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Hmm that is interesting. Amsterdam from what I can tell is very expensive. It's going to cost me about £250 for one night near where most the attractions are. That seems ridiculously overpriced. 

I am also now considering Germany, but it's so big. I am not sure if it's better to go to Munich or Berlin.

First point: have you looked at Air BnBs? Wouldn't be so expensive.

Second point: both are great, plenty to see/do, great beer, great food, lots of interesting history to immerse yourself in. I'd say Berlin edges it but Munich is great too. And would pick either ahead of Amsterdam for what it's worth.

Yeah Munich over all 3 for me as well

tough choice though as Berlin has a great museum area and all the ww2 history ... as you walk around there are little write ups on buildings telling you what they were in the war ... and the wall of course plus more  

Edited by tonyh29

19 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Been to Brussels and Stockholm. I would go to Germany if I were you. Cologne is nice as a 3rd option.

My fiancee wants to go to Cologne really badly and Dortmund are only an hours train ride away so I might be able to convince her to go to a Dortmund match ;)

But it seems the general consensus here is to go to Germany over the places I listed in the title? Germany is really easy to get to for me.

I also played around with the idea of flying to London, driving up to Scotland to visit family, then flying into Iceland for a few days. 

• Like 1

Looks like Germany is becoming your preferred option, but I'll add my tuppence worth. Brussels definitely has it's charms, plenty to walk around and see. I did Amsterdam in the same trip as Brussels and whilst it had some enjoyable bits, it was very expensive, and as someone doing it soberish, and just for the cultural bits, there are better options. the van gogh museum was 20 euros ffs. 

Stockholm as Tony says has the boat museum, and it's pleasant to walk around, Gamla Stan is a nice little side street, food's good, but then food in Germany is always terrific, so probably not going to elevate it above those options :D And there's probably more to see in Germany too, tbf. 

If you ever want to 'do' Sweden, I recommend going way up north for a scenic holiday, when you don't want the hullaballoo of city life. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â