Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'd take him definitely 

I suppose it would just be the likely wage that might be difficult to negotiate, plus the lack of kudos for dropping a division. But if we could sell it to him as; you'll play nearly 46 games if you're fit, for a side pushing for promotion, and it'll showcase you as being good prior to the WC in 2018...

• Like 1

So according to some papers we've been scouting Abdoulaye Sissako from Auxerre.

19 y.o DCM who is a regular in the French U19 side.

He was only a bit part player for Auxerre in the League 2 so I assume he would be one for the future. But he is quite highly rated.

Never seen him play myself, but I guess if true it would spell bad news for Tshibola?

7 minutes ago, sne said:

So according to some papers we've been scouting Abdoulaye Sissako from Auxerre.

19 y.o DCM who is a regular in the French U19 side.

He was only a bit part player for Auxerre in the League 2 so I assume he would be one for the future. But he is quite highly rated.

Never seen him play myself, but I guess if true it would spell bad news for Tshibola?

Which papers was that in?

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would you not say that's been a strategy last two windows though. There's no way you can say Chester, Kodjia, De Laet, Hourihane, Bjarnasson,Bree, Lansbury are past it players, most of them are a good age or in their prime.

Our mentality still holds this club back and the manager really hasn't covered himself in glory so we look worse than the sum of our parts. It needs to change quick.

I haven't or am not saying that, I'm just giving my thoughts on the most recent speculation. I didn't have a problem with the signings you have mentioned, in fact I was very encouraged by them. I don't want us to make any big mistakes now by making the wrong signings.

As for criticism, I have laid it all at Bruce and his "coaching team's" feet but we kind of just have to get over that and hope for he best this coming season as the board have been quite emphatic about backing him. I just hope the right changes (in playing and hopefully coaching areas) are made to give us the best shot at automatic promotion. I'm looking forward to the outgoings more than anything tbh, just want the deadwood and overpaid crap out of our club.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Which papers was that in?

Not sure I just browsed through a general gossip section on a Swedish site.

Edit: was originally from the Sun apparently so might wan't to disregard this one :)

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

We desperately need a first choice keeper that can be a big part of our promotion push. I don't think I've seen many realistic suggestions or links to any such players tbh, any ideas?

If we went with Johnstone (again) I would be a little sceptical but I suppose he's not a bad young keeper that can only improve,  he would definitely be a good 2nd choice to a more experienced and commanding GK but why would he want to come here on that case? What about Steer in that position instead though? He's our player and, if he can overcome injuries, should get a chance to develop and improve himself with us... I think we should let Bunn go too.

I can't think of too many keepers we could get or who would want to come/drop down a level but it's an important position for us to fill. 

Pantilimon?

Jakupovic?

Marshall?

Westwood?

McCregor?

Nothing stands out as a clearly doable deal, would welcome some (better) suggestions 

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We desperately need a first choice keeper that can be a big part of our promotion push. I don't think I've seen many realistic suggestions or links to any such players tbh, any ideas?

If we went with Johnstone (again) I would be a little sceptical but I suppose he's not a bad young keeper that can only improve,  he would definitely be a good 2nd choice to a more experienced and commanding GK but why would he want to come here on that case? What about Steer in that position instead though? He's our player and, if he can overcome injuries, should get a chance to develop and improve himself with us... I think we should let Bunn go too.

I can't think of too many keepers we could get or who would want to come/drop down a level but it's an important position for us to fill. 

Pantilimon?

Jakupovic?

Marshall?

Westwood?

McCregor?

Nothing stands out as a clearly doable deal, would welcome some (better) suggestions 

Michel Vorm?

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Pantilimon?

Jakupovic?

Marshall?

Westwood?

McCregor?

Boruc?

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Michel Vorm?

Don't think he'd want to come here and teams in bigger/higher leagues would want him too. Not a bad shout though, I feel that's the kind of ambition we should have in terms of transfer targets at least so we actually enhance the team. Whether they come off or not, at least we have tried and might pull of a quality signing or two. I wouldn't be averse to loans either, for genuine quality.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Definitely experienced, prone to the odd lapse or mistake? Maybe too old?

yeah. At 37 it would be a 1 year deal thing.

But he had a great season Bournemouth, won't starting next season with Begovic being signed.

1 minute ago, sne said:

yeah. At 37 it would be a 1 year deal thing.

But he had a great season Bournemouth, won't starting next season with Begovic being signed.

Good call mate, there are some decent keepers out there who could make the difference for us. I think Bruce has his heart set on Johnstone, I just wonder what the alternatives are in his mind...

We could do with a proper keeper who the youngsters could look to as an example and learn from too, an inspirational type.

Newcastle have a few keepers on their books, I wonder what the situation there is.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Good call mate, there are some decent keepers out there who could make the difference for us. I think Bruce has his heart set on Johnstone, I just wonder what the alternatives are in his mind...

We could do with a proper keeper who the youngsters could look to as an example and learn from too, an inspirational type.

Newcastle have a few keepers on their books, I wonder what the situation there is.

Silva is apparently looking to bring Jakupovic with him from Hull to Watford which would mean either Pantilimon or Gomes would be surplus requirement.

But I think you are right and that Bruce has his sight set on Johnstone.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Silva is apparently looking to bring Jakupovic with him from Hull to Watford which would mean either Pantilimon or Gomes would be surplus requirement.

But I think you are right and that Bruce has his sight set on Johnstone.

We should definitely be keeping an eye on situations like that, which we could take advantage of... really want to see some ambition from our club and signs that we are going all out for promotion.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 23:05, DCJonah said:

So should Sherwood have been given more time? Eric Black?

There's no point giving time if the repair is never going to get completed or if it's going to make things worse. 

It may be a fair shout, but I guess the results of the last 10 games undid him......but in a general sense 30 odd games is no time for a rebuild.....taking over a ready made side maybe a different argument.

Thats like hindsight is an exact science.....and it is.

There are some indicators that help though, where " Time has a valid place"

• If a manager starts great and gets worse, I would say thats not a good indicator of progress.
  • If  a manager starts iffy, but gets better, there is a fair chance the work that has been put in behind the scenes, that takes time.....is now working.

If you put plants in the garden, you can hardly expect instant results, but you can see them growing which gives you hope you have planted them right.

While Steve Bruce has presided over iffy football...52 points was a decent return in his first 3/4 of a season, so for me , there has been some progress from a soft underbelly. to a bit of robustness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'd like to see us pick up John Swift from Reading, I know it's probably a bit ambitious but I've always admired him albeit from a distance 

Good shout and to be honest, we could do a lot worse than look at the current England under 21 squad.   Surely, one or two gettable players and/or one or two clever loans to be had.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Good shout and to be honest, we could a lot worse than look at the current England under 21 squad.   Surely, one or two gettable players and/or one or two clever loans to be had.  

Agreed entirely 

I'm not sure the U21s are the way to go for us this summer.  We need tough, strong minded players capable of handling the pressure we're going to under to go up next season.  I'd have made an exception for Tammy Abraham, but not many others.

IMO we need to keep going down the proven Premier League standard route, possibly with some well scouted foreign additions.

• Like 2

We need divine intervention!!!

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/05/report-aston-villa-want-real-zaragozas-angel-on-free-transfer-qp/

Report: Aston Villa want Real Zaragoza's Angel on free transfer, QPR scouted him on Sunday

According to the Daily Mail, four Championship clubs – Aston Villa, Hull City, Queens Park Rangers and Reading – are interested in signing Real Zaragoza striker Angel.

Angel, 30, had spells with Tenerife, Elche, Levante and Eibar before joining Zaragoza in 2015; a move which has certainly paid dividends for the striker.

The attacker hit 21 goals in 39 games in all competitions this season, taking his tally for the club to 32 goals in 74 games – the most success he has enjoyed since leaving Elche in 2012.

Now, Angel is free to walk away from Zaragoza given that his two-year contract with the club ends this summer, and it seems that English clubs are lining up to sign him.

The Daily Mail report that Aston Villa, Hull City and Reading are all keen to sign Angel, whilst QPR even scouted him in action against Girona on Sunday.

Villa allegedly have a small budget to work with this summer, so bringing in a free agent like Angel to challenge with Jonathan Kodjia and Scott Hogan could be appealing to Steve Bruce.