Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

I don't think we'll be signing Glenn whelan. 

He's too old, wouldn't be value for money and if we gain promotion would not be good enough so would be yet another aged player requiring paying off.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He's too old, wouldn't be value for money and if we gain promotion would not be good enough so would be yet another aged player requiring paying off.

The doc also specifically mentioned not wasting money on dross in one of his tweets.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Would you accept that he was a great player and among the very best to ever play in his position in the Premier League though?

To an extent, yes. I think there have been many better players in his position in the Premier League, but he played a key role in a very successful Man Utd team. 

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He would be a squad player for us in the prem if we went up next season.

You only have to see some of the players on our bench when we were finishing 6th in the prem to realise we won't suddenly be getting 18 world class players if/when promotion happens.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You only have to see some of the players on our bench when we were finishing 6th in the prem to realise we won't suddenly be getting 18 world class players if/when promotion happens.

Who could you possibly be referring to at the end of your post? :) 

Just now, VillaChris said:

He'd be 34/35 if we get promoted for the 2018/2019 season. 

I still think that will be too old and too expensive for us. 

Besides, I'm not expecting to sign world class players anytime soon but would like a more pragmatic approach with signing players who would be able to contribute more than just a squad role if we get promoted.

whelan would just be another Aston Villa retirement fund special a la lescott, given etc

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He'd be 34/35 if we get promoted for the 2018/2019 season. 

I still think that will be too old and too expensive for us. 

Besides, I'm not expecting to sign world class players anytime soon but would like a more pragmatic approach with signing players who would be able to contribute more than just a squad role if we get promoted.

whelan would just be another Aston Villa retirement fund special a la lescott, given etc

My thoughts precisely, very underwhelmed by this link/speculation. I hope, in reality, we have a better transfer strategy - first team improvements of a good age that can form part of a decent side going forward. No more oldies or "past it" players who we will struggle to then eventually shift or lose big money on. Younger, dynamic players are more than welcome.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, but lets keep it real, 3/4 of the people we are usually linked with early doors never make it here.

I really hope you're right! More signings of at least the standard of Chester & Taylor would be good, in terms of coming from the PL at least. Would like us to go for a few decent foreign signings but I understand that could be seen as a risk (time to settle, adapting to the league etc.), particularly as regards our present situation and eagerness to get promoted.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

But he is. He's like a lesser Joey Barton. Even elbows his own teammates!

a lesser Joey Barton? I cant remember any major Whelan incident on or off the football pitch

though you say Chiellini is a thug as well :rolleyes:

Tin Hat Time........ but Id sign Marvin Emnes on a free transfer - I'm not sure if that's because the times ive seen him play, which granted isn't loads, but everytime I have for Boro, Swansea and 4/5 times this season for BBurn, he always seems a real handful, and would be a good "wide striker" option or a wildcard from the bench offering.............

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

a lesser Joey Barton? I cant remember any major Whelan incident on or off the football pitch

though you say Chiellini is a thug as well :rolleyes:

As I say, he recently elbowed his teammate whilst on International duty.  I'm not saying he always elbows players, obviously, but he's one of those physical midfielders.

Pretty sure he was involved in some weird pig's head incident at Stoke too (think it was religious?).  "Bantz".

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

My thoughts precisely, very underwhelmed by this link/speculation. I hope, in reality, we have a better transfer strategy - first team improvements of a good age that can form part of a decent side going forward. No more oldies or "past it" players who we will struggle to then eventually shift or lose big money on. Younger, dynamic players are more than welcome.

Would you not say that's been a strategy last two windows though. There's no way you can say Chester, Kodjia, De Laet, Hourihane, Bjarnasson,Bree, Lansbury are past it players, most of them are a good age or in their prime.

Our mentality still holds this club back and the manager really hasn't covered himself in glory so we look worse than the sum of our parts. It needs to change quick.

Martín Cáceres can leave Southampton on a free at the end of June, still only 30 and I can't imagine is going to get that many offers given he didn't play too much for them last year. I think it would be a bit of a coup if we got him, but with no transfer fee, give him some money to sign and we've got a great defender sorted. Think he still plays for Uruguay so might fancy some game time to showcase himself before the World Cup next summer.

20 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Martín Cáceres can leave Southampton on a free at the end of June, still only 30 and I can't imagine is going to get that many offers given he didn't play too much for them last year. I think it would be a bit of a coup if we got him, but with no transfer fee, give him some money to sign and we've got a great defender sorted. Think he still plays for Uruguay so might fancy some game time to showcase himself before the World Cup next summer.

I'd take him definitely 

• Like 1