Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Whelan's a solid, if unspectacular, midfielder. He would add composure, experience and perhaps a bit more balance to our midfield. 

I think he'd be a good addition for this season, then bin him off next year when we're hopefully in the PL. 

By how he has been described, he is solid enough to rotate with Jedinak.

So when you put it this way, Whelan to replace Tshibola in the squad would be an instant improvement?.

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So is that a no?

it should be. We really dont have money if we are going after this guy. We need to buy a 25-26 year old destroyer. Not a 33 year old.. who even at his peak was below average.  Meh

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So when you put it this way, Whelan to replace Tshibola in the squad would be an instant improvement?.

I think so, I'm not a massive critic of Tshibola to be fair to him, but Whelan played 30 games for a mid table premier league side last year, whearas Tshibola played 8 times for us and 4 times for Notts Forest (21st in league). I think Whelan would add more to the side if we have to choose between the two. Tshibola is only 22, so wouldn't mind him sticking around and learning from Jedi for another season, but Bruce doesn't seem a fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

He would be a good alternative to Jedinak. A signing that won't excite many but would absolutely do the job imo. 

Yep, playing him and Jedinak in the same midfield would be too negative for even SB surely but on his own there infront of the back 4 I think he's been an underrated player for many years at Stoke.

Said before I think Jedinak will play much more in defence next season and we don't have anyone else in the squad who can do his job. The stats when he dosen't play back that up.

Hopefully we don't get mugged off by Stoke- 2-3m is about right.

51 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

the 1st on the list from stoke should be Butland or Grant (GK's)

Did I wake up in May 2010.

Jack Butland is not joining a mid table championship club anytime soon. He could've stayed at SHA if he wanted that.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hourihane and Lansbury have replaced Tishbola really.

At least a signing like this means there's less chance of Bacuna playing games next season which can only be a good thing.

24 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Sorry but we should be looking to improve the first team, not the back up. Rumour has it we are only planning on signing 3-4 players. If one of those is a back up midfielder I would be fuming. Especially when you consider one of those 4 will be a keeper. So that would only leave 2 more signings.. Do you still see that as an instant improvement?

Current squad, with a proper offseason, should easily be top 3. 2-4 incoming seems absolutely reasonable even if only 1 is a starter imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSmith22 said:

Current squad, with a proper offseason, should easily be top 3. 2-4 incoming seems absolutely reasonable even if only 1 is a starter imo.

On paper we already have by far the best squad.. hence the bookies have us favourites.

But in reality our negative style is holding us back. Playing 10 men behind the ball against the likes of Burton. 

But anyway, you look to improve areas you are weakest in, for me that is a goalkeeper or wingers/creative midfielders. Whelan is neither, but he fits into the get men behind the ball category I suppose.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Sorry but we should be looking to improve the first team, not the back up. Rumour has it we are only planning on signing 3-4 players. If one of those is a back up midfielder I would be fuming. Especially when you consider one of those 4 will be a keeper. So that would only leave 2 more signings.. Do you still see that as an instant improvement?

Agreed, but I would assume that Whelan is at least as good as Jedinak or not far off, which in itself WOULD be improvement as when Jedinak is out you would not have a gaping hole as previous in midfield.

That being said, once again I know nothing about the guy.

I just hope we are going for top quality, however, it is not all up to us, we might not get our first choices.

I am already thinking this guy wouldn't be first choice target.

I think Man Utd have sorted out their GK situation and that leaves Johnstone up for sale, they've said £5mill but... I imagine those two links are just gossip, maybe even put about by his agent to force a move.