Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

From the Irish Sun.

GLENN WHELAN’S near- decade-long stay at Stoke City is set to end.

SunSport has learned that Aston Villa are confident of landing the Ireland midfielder following Darren Fletcher’s move to the Britannia, although Burnley are keen.

Glenn Whelan is set to end his near-decade long spell at Stoke

ACTION IMAGES

Whelan, 33, joined the Potters from Sheffield Wednesday in January 2008 and immediately helped the club win promotion to the top flight.

At the end of that season, he made his international debut, against Serbia, in Giovanni Trapattoni’s first game in charge. He has since amassed 80 caps, breaking Gordon Banks’ record of 36 international appearances while at the club.

But he was one of several players dropped by Martin O’Neill after the 3-0 defeat to Belgium at Euro 2016 and is no longer a guaranteed starter when the side is at full strength.

Aston Villa are confident of landing the Ireland ace with Burnley also interested

Aston Villa are confident of landing the Ireland ace with Burnley also interested

For Stoke, he has clocked up 337 appearances, scoring eight times, playing in both an FA Cup final and in the Europa League. Although Whelan has a year left on his contract, the arrival of
Fletcher means he is less likely to be a regular.

As a result, Villa have entered negotiations with Stoke about a fee while Whelan could expect a two-year deal to try to help them win promotion.

Burnley — who can offer him the chance to stay in the Premier League — have not yet spoken to Stoke.

At Villa Park, he would link up with fellow Ireland midfielder Conor Hourihane while Burnley have Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick, Stephen Ward and new cap Kevin Long on their books.

56 minutes ago, thejoker said:

From the Irish Sun.

GLENN WHELAN’S near- decade-long stay at Stoke City is set to end.

SunSport has learned that Aston Villa are confident of landing the Ireland midfielder following Darren Fletcher’s move to the Britannia, although Burnley are keen.

ACTION IMAGES

Whelan, 33, joined the Potters from Sheffield Wednesday in January 2008 and immediately helped the club win promotion to the top flight.

At the end of that season, he made his international debut, against Serbia, in Giovanni Trapattoni’s first game in charge. He has since amassed 80 caps, breaking Gordon Banks’ record of 36 international appearances while at the club.

But he was one of several players dropped by Martin O’Neill after the 3-0 defeat to Belgium at Euro 2016 and is no longer a guaranteed starter when the side is at full strength.

For Stoke, he has clocked up 337 appearances, scoring eight times, playing in both an FA Cup final and in the Europa League. Although Whelan has a year left on his contract, the arrival of
Fletcher means he is less likely to be a regular.

As a result, Villa have entered negotiations with Stoke about a fee while Whelan could expect a two-year deal to try to help them win promotion.

Burnley — who can offer him the chance to stay in the Premier League — have not yet spoken to Stoke.

At Villa Park, he would link up with fellow Ireland midfielder Conor Hourihane while Burnley have Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick, Stephen Ward and new cap Kevin Long on their books.

Know nothing about him, good player?

Assuming by his stats, age, experience he is another leader etc.

He should bring a fair amount of composure to the side which we certainly need.

Bit of a concern that he'll be coming for a final pay day but as long as he does the business IDGAF.

I'd take Whelan, I've always rated him but hated him at the same time for scoring against us for Stoke City to make it 2-2 after we were 2-0 up with 5 mins to go, it virtually killed our Champions League challenge in 2008/09

• Like 1

Whelan's a solid, if unspectacular, midfielder. He would add composure, experience and perhaps a bit more balance to our midfield. 

I think he'd be a good addition for this season, then bin him off next year when we're hopefully in the PL. 

Edited by alreadyexists

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There is something very Gavin McCann esque about him. lol

They both sort of go under the radar. I always thought McCann was very underrated. I never saw Whelan play during that time but am not really a fan based on what I've seen over the last few seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Michael118 said:

They both sort of go under the radar. I always thought McCann was very underrated. I never saw Whelan play during that time but am not really a fan based on what I've seen over the last few seasons.

Yeah I liked McCann also, I was purely going based off Whelans look though. :)

• Like 1

34 in January

Getting on a a bit but the more i think about it the more i'd be ok with this signing

Short term deal probably for a year or two him and Jedinak can rotate that DM position as they probably both don't have the legs to play a full season.

Edited by AshVilla

Villa can do better than Glen Whelan. Not a good signing imo.

If Bruce is going to sign anyone from Stoke he should look at Crouch but only on a one year limited deal.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1