Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, TRO said:

but we improved it with numbers through necessity, but was a trade off for goals, we patched it up......we are now improved through individual quality and structure,in those crucial areas, which in theory should allow the offensive players we thought we had .....to do their thing like we know they can.

I am hoping and expecting to see players emerge who we thought was lost.....it will be interesting.

but I think the transfer in door has closed now.

I hear what you're saying mate but I'm still not convinced that the new players are going to make that much difference.

For instance, surely Whelan and Jedinak will perform the same role so it's one or the other. I can't see Elmohamady playing ahead of Adomah or Brew so he will only be a cover or instead of one of them. Terry will play at the back. So, I struggle to see what difference these new guys will make to free-up our offensive players.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

I hear what you're saying mate but I'm still not convinced that the new players are going to make that much difference.

For instance, surely Whelan and Jedinak will perform the same role so it's one or the other. I can't see Elmohamady playing ahead of Adomah or Brew so he will only be a cover or instead of one of them. Terry will play at the back. So, I struggle to see what difference these new guys will make to free-up our offensive players.

We tended to win when Jedi played - we now have cover

Adomah/Green/Elmo = decent pacey wingers - last season we pretty much just had Adomah

Terry = goal threat and decent tempo right from the back

Change is real

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We have too many players in this squad.

We need to sell the following;

Richards, Elphick,Bacuna Tshibola, Veretout,Gardner Amavi, Cissokho, Toner

loan moves -

Lyden, Davis, Hepburn Murphy, Blackett Taylor. 

I'd keep Bacuna due to his versatility. I'd get rid of Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Gardner, Veretout, Amavi, Cissokho, Hogan and Toner.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

That RECON sponsorship was not a sponsorship, it was just an opportunity to show it on a couple of signings holding the shirt. The official shirts don't have them.

You have to remember too that parachute payments will be significantly less than last year, and if we don't go up this year the following year will be the last and even less again.

57 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I hope I am too....and look its opinions and views.....if we all knew for certain we would be millionaires.

I have been watching Villa a long time and i have seen these situations before not too different.....some things in football changes but principles rarely do.

I suspect SB is trying to give himself so many options to cover all eventualities....I would guess that Jed & Whelan may play together at some stage, but I think that will be more now and again as opposed to every week.....perhaps more away from home on certain fixtures.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Interesting so many think we have the best squad in the division, Bruce is going in to this season with a lot of pressure on if that's the case. Favourites to go up, fans convinced we have the players and expecting to go up. From what we've seen though I'd say we need to ship out 4 or 5 at least and look for a very talented link between midfield and the striker(s), be that wide left, right or central (number 10). That and some coaches to see if we can keep the ball for more than 2 passes in a row every now and again.

The top performers thrive on pressure.....John Terry will want to be favourites, we are now getting some players in who CAN handle it.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

but we improved it with numbers through necessity, but was a trade off for goals, we patched it up......we are now improved through individual quality and structure,in those crucial areas, which in theory should allow the offensive players we thought we had .....to do their thing like we know they can.

I am hoping and expecting to see players emerge who we thought was lost.....it will be interesting.

but I think the transfer in door has closed now.

I had always thought that it was a window! ;) 

I still expect the SKY reporters will be parked outside BH on transfer deadline day (after they have interviewed Harry with his car window wound down on leaving Small Heath for Sandbanks) awaiting our potential loan signings.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

That RECON sponsorship was not a sponsorship, it was just an opportunity to show it on a couple of signings holding the shirt. The official shirts don't have them.

I believe Ho said that Recon will be on the matchday shirts. Although you could be right that there is no sponsorship as such. 

Regarding transfer spend, I suspect we will pay a bit of money for a creative midfielder before the window is out. But blowing wads on talent was not required this window. Am happy with the business completed so far.

• Like 3

I think we are still a little light in the pace department. Wouldn't mind seeing a speedy left footer come in for the left wing. We had Amavi playing that role for a few games but never convincingly. 

17 hours ago, Junxs said:

We have a lot of creativity? Watching us last season we were probably the least creative side in the league, the last 2 friendlies show no improvement in that respect.

So you're saying replacing Baker with Terry and Jedinak with Whelan will transform us into an attacking unit? Riiiiiight

Grealish, Green, Landsbury, Houharine, Adomah, Mcormack. Yeah we have players that can create things.

There is some kind of stat from last yr that when Jedinak didn't play we lost. Both shrewsbury and walsall you could see landsbury and hourahine having to sit back, or come and collect the ball from defense. We're missing that middle man. Whelan is more industrious than Jedi. A silent dennis irwin type player if you will. But it now gives us two players to rotate and hold that position.

Baker always had a clanger in him, that gave other players a lack of confidence in him. Terry will give that confidence back.

No I don't think these additions will turn us into barcelona. But it will let other players play to their strengths. Which will help us be a bit more progressive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

Doesn't quite work like that.

They are relatively small fees, but the bigger picture here is the increasing of the wage budget. Those 3 players will be earning a combined fee of more than what Sanchez would have been on. FFP doesnt just look at money spent on transfers but the wage bill too. 

Sanchez was probably on premier league wages and I bet samba, whelan and Elmo are on smaller fees. Can't see us paying these three huge wages

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

You have to remember too that parachute payments will be significantly less than last year, and if we don't go up this year the following year will be the last and even less again.

No, it is a sponsorship deal.

• Like 1

So if thats it (SJ JT Elmo & GW) who ist the mystery man on the end if all those crosses once

SJ rolls it out to JT

or JT defends and gives it to Elmo

GW ball-wins and gives it to Elmo

Elmo crosses to ........

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

So if thats it (SJ JT Elmo & GW) who ist the mystery man on the end if all those crosses once

SJ rolls it out to JT

Elmo crosses to ........

Kodjia isn't exactly small. I'm sure he could get his head on a few.

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

SJ rolls it out to JT

Elmo crosses to ........

...whoever is in the box?

So think with Samba now done we are looking likely for no more in and maybe time to take stock of the squad at the moment. So as it stands we have:

In: Terry, Johnstone, Elmohamady, Whelan, Samba

Out: Kozak, Sanchez, Gil.

That leaves the squad as follows (with players in brackets this is not their natural position but can provide cover if necessary, question mark where I am not sure):

Goalkeepers 

Johnstone, Steer, Bunn, Sarkic

Right Backs

Hutton, De Laet, Bree, (Elmohamady), (Bacuna), (Richards)

Left Backs

Taylor, Amavi, Cissokho (De Laet)

Centre Backs

Chester, Terry, Baker, Samba, (Jedinak) (De Laet), Elphick, Richards

Right Midfield/Winger

Adomah, Elmohamady, (Green), (Bacuna), (Kodjia), (Bjarnasson?), (Hogan), (Lansbury?), (Grealish?)

Left Midfield/Winger

Green, Grealish,(Bjarnasson), (Kodjia), (Hogan), (Hourihane), (Adomah?), (Elmohamady?)

Centre Midfield

Hourihane, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelan, Bjarnason, Tishbola, Veretout, Gardner, Bacuna, Lyden, (Grealish) 

Attackers

Kodjia, Hogan,McCormack, Agbonlahor, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy

I think we have more or less done our business coming in, unless someone goes who is "first teamer". If we assume there should be at least 2 players for every position (and avoid more if possible) can suggest we are likely looking at going out: 

1 GK, 1 RB, 2 CBs, 1 LB, 4/5 CMs. 

I think he will struggle to get 5 CMs out and also think sometimes he might want 3 in the middle. 

I don't think an attacker is going though, we have 2 youngsters and not sure how much will be given to them. Given how badly we got struck with injuries last season, don't think the risk will be taken, unless a decent offer comes in for McCormack or in particular Gabby.

IMO (obviously) think we are looking at leaving or trying to get to leave:

Steer, Hutton, Elphick, Richards, Cissokho, Veretout, Gardner and 1 or 2 of Lyden, Bacuna, Tishbola.

We certainly need to clear the decks now, hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later...! 

I think we are definitely set defensively, though would have preferred someone else to Johnstone. Amavi may still go which might mean someone else coming in or De Laet being used as full time back up to Taylor (think Cissokho is gone regardless). It's the attack which I am slightly worried about quality wise. On paper, looks cracking, just some didn't perform last season as we would have hoped (McCormack, Hogan, Grealish). New season, new hope!

So for those TL:DR: I think we still have 8 out, mainly central midfielders and centre backs, unlikely anymore in, defensively we look good, just hope the attack can perform better than last season! :)

Edited by cyrusr
Text size after posting!