Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

If there was a chance of having Fabian Delph back at Villa we would be taking him regardless of the way he left. He would comfortably be the best midfielder at the club and would more than improve our chance of promotion. He has the drive that we have missed over the last 2 seasons.

That being said there is no chance he is going to be dropping a division to sign for us. Neither is Ashley Young...

Were we not saying that about John terry a couple of weeks ago though ? 

Reach  for the stars - never know Delph may think the chance to help villa back up is better challenge than trying to stay up in a relegation fight somewhere like west brom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Proper Twilight Zone on here....

Last season around this time, people were excited about signing Tommy Elphick.

This year they are moaning about potentially signing John Terry..... :wacko:

Not the same thing though, is it?

Elphick, in theory, was basically at the peak of his powers having captained Bournemouth to promotion from this league.  John Terry is about to turn 37 and looked poor for Chelsea when he played last season.

Just because he's a big name...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not the same thing though, is it?

Elphick, in theory, was basically at the peak of his powers having captained Bournemouth to promotion from this league.  John Terry is about to turn 37 and looked poor for Chelsea when he played last season.

Just because he's a big name...

Looked "poor" in the Premier League, for the seasons Champions. (Didn't follow so wouldn't even know if that were true)

Elphick last looked shite in the Championship.

The pros outweigh the cons in this situation 10fold.

PREMIER LEAGUE Clubs are still trying to sign him ffs.

Cue the season ending injury against Hull.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 things on Terry. People making the Pires comparison is completely irrelevant. Pires had pretty much retired when he signed for us from memory. He's been out of contract for a long time. Terry has been playing and training with the Champions of England. 

Secondly, I couldn't give a toss what he's like as a person. I'll support him and the team come 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon if he's a nice bloke or not!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Hate the guy and not sure I could support him but he would be excellent for this club.

I think football has gone well past actually liking your team's players these days.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think there is a world of difference between still being capable of excelling for a club not just playing in the top flight but winning/competing for the title, domestic and European cups and dropping down a level and being able to excel in the Championship.

John Terry at 50% of the player he was would still be good enough for this level. It is not just what he brings to the table performance wise though it is what his influence can bring out in others already here. I think ability wise our squad is already as good as any in this division. What we lack more than anything is a backbone, a winners mentality, a never say die attitude and a desire to give 100% from the first second to the last one. Terry just by his very presence on the pitch and training ground can instil that in others.

Dad.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Terry seems to be coming in to do what our management team have not been able to do.

Totally different when you're "one of the lads" and actually out on the field with them.  Bruce was the same figure at United.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry in the dugout at some stage depending on Bruce's performance over the next 12-24 months.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Totally different when you're "one of the lads" and actually out on the field with them.  Bruce was the same figure at United.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry in the dugout at some stage depending on Bruce's performance over the next 12-24 months.

Well, didn't he win the Champions League for Chelsea? :ph34r:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think there is a world of difference between still being capable of excelling for a club not just playing in the top flight but winning/competing for the title, domestic and European cups and dropping down a level and being able to excel in the Championship.

John Terry at 50% of the player he was would still be good enough for this level. It is not just what he brings to the table performance wise though it is what his influence can bring out in others already here. I think ability wise our squad is already as good as any in this division. What we lack more than anything is a backbone, a winners mentality, a never say die attitude and a desire to give 100% from the first second to the last one. Terry just by his very presence on the pitch and training ground can instil that in others.

Spot on .......yet again.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

John Terry has the potential to be an astute signing as well as a very poor one too so will be interesting to see what happens.

Elmohamady - Just no on every conceivable level. Same with Bruce Jnr too.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Didn't we say all that when we signed all those captain's last summer. It didn't work out so well. 

And Terry's presence on the pitch is questionable. He played 90 minutes 4 times during an entire premier league season, how much of a gruelling 46 game season is he going to really take part in?

And while his presence on the pitch might help, I'd imagine when he's not playing his wages for doing nothing will certainly not inspire and motivate the rest of our players. 

I think there's loads of cons surrounding this signing and a few pros which are mainly based on faith at this minute. 

Edited by DCJonah

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

turmoil amongst the fans! really? we are as fickle as players and a few good performances and we'll be chanting his name again.  For me, I'd rather have somebody like Delph with his ability that I also dislike because of the way he left us than some average banged up midfielder.  The reason why, is that I care about Aston Villa and not the individuals and I believe that Delph at this level would be easily one of the best players in the championship and that is the only reason I care about because we need to get promoted.

If we were comfortably in the PL and talking about players then my thoughts maybe different but for now, where we are, we need quality and he has more than we currently have.  Despite buying some really good midfielders recently, he is far better than any of those and therefore if a chance to get him (despite his past history with us) because some good performances from him and we'd be singing his name again.  

Then we get promoted, he says he would never leave us again, a week later he's sitting on Chelsea's bench with splitters in his back side and again we'll be wondering what happened BUT we'll be back in the PL where we are supposed to be.  That is a better scenario than another midfielder whose really good in the championship but really just another slot in our 25 man team.

I really don't think Delph is that good at all, I think he'd stand out in this division, but not that much. I can't see him him grabbing a load of goals and assists.

Edited by 7392craig
  • Like 2