Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

If Pickford isn't signed up by a Prem club over the summer, or no interest is shown at least, i think we should go all out to try get him in. No point staying at Sunderland and he'd easily make the step back up with us. If we didn't get promoted then a Prem club would come for him eventually so it's a win win situation for him 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Tammy Abraham if available.. we must get him. Also if Newcastle go buy 2-3 new strikers.. maybe try get Gayle.

New CB GK and another midfielder.

50 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If Pickford isn't signed up by a Prem club over the summer, or no interest is shown at least, i think we should go all out to try get him in. No point staying at Sunderland and he'd easily make the step back up with us. If we didn't get promoted then a Prem club would come for him eventually so it's a win win situation for him 

I don't think any of these are realistic options TBH . . . Pickford will be signed by a PL side, without a doubt. Gayle will stay at Newcastle and Abraham isn't going to want to spend a season being 3rd choice for us. 

• Like 1

If Pickford doesn't get snapped up he'd stay at Sunderland. He's a Sunderland lad. I'm 99.9% sure he'd rather try and get Sunderland back up than move to another Championship club, even the Villa. It's just realism. 

No way Gayle will spend another season down here either. 

Abraham isn't logical either with Kodjia and Hogan. 

We could do with another striker but it's not going to be on that scale. I'd rather go for someone banging then in lower down. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I imagine we'll see quite a few through the exit door this summer and reckon Bruce is already noting who can move on to free up spots for new players. 

I expect the following to be moved on:

Richards - waste of wages, hardly featured

Elphick - not in Bruce's plans if Jedi picked ahead of him

McCormack - can't hit a barn door or climb over a garden gate

Bunn - out of contract and not good enough

Gardner - simply not good enough even at this level

Tshibola - possibly as don't think Bruce rates him

Kozak - injury ridden and can't be relied upon fitness wise

Gil - doesn't want to return

Veretout - as per gil

Sanchez - as per gil

Amavi - don't think he'd want to stay in the championship another year

I think we now have the nucleus of a good squad but central midfield is still light on numbers and a DM and a CM coming in would be needed, along with another CB, another striker, a right winger and a GK or two. 

This would pretty much guarantee another failed season and possibly the end of our ambition to get back up.   I can't argue with the majority of those as they're loan players who won't come back or players that never feature.  But if amavi, elphick, bunn, gardener and possibly Richards all leave the squad will be disrupted too much and we'll need more time to bed in more squad members.  We can't afford to be anything but 100% ready on day 1 next season.

44 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

This would pretty much guarantee another failed season and possibly the end of our ambition to get back up.   I can't argue with the majority of those as they're loan players who won't come back or players that never feature.  But if amavi, elphick, bunn, gardener and possibly Richards all leave the squad will be disrupted too much and we'll need more time to bed in more squad members.  We can't afford to be anything but 100% ready on day 1 next season.

Understand what you're saying but barring amavi, none of Richards, elphick, bunn or gardener are playing regularly and neither centre back were selected when baker was injured, with Bruce preferring jedinak.

So why would that jeopardise our season? They have little or no impact on proceedings.

We have a strongish spine now so replacing those players wouldn't be to the detriment of squad harmony. 

We need to strengthen certain areas (central defence and midfield) but will need to make space for that to happen. 

I don't expect wholesale changes coming in again but the squad supplemented with several quality additions. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't see any logic here - why is there no point staying at Sunderland for him?  If there is no point staying, why would he move to a team in the same league?

2 minutes ago, Avfc1590 said:

Slightly confused as to why people are trying to replace a defence that has conceded once in the last 7 games? 

I don't know about replacing them per se but certainly strengthening yes!

At the moment, the back four are working well but when Baker has been injured we've opted to put a DM (jedinak) in his place instead of either of the two centre halves we already have at the club.

I think our defence could do with another Centre half that can challenge Baker and Chester for a first team spot or be a shoe-in if either are injured/suspended.

Why would we want Richards or Elphick around when Bruce has no intention of playing them regardless of necessity. Move them on and bring in a better option(s)

I think we're sorted fullback wise for a few years, Hutton and Bree on the right, Taylor and Amavi on the left, with Richie De Laet still to return (who can arguably play across the back line).

So no radical overhaul required just strength and depth (as I don't envisage any of our U23s centre halves are ready to step up yet).

• Like 1

We need a left footed centre back to provide competition to Baker...we should go all out for Nathan Ake on loan next season. They recalled him from Bournemouth earlier in the season, but hasn't played since. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

We need a left footed centre back to provide competition to Baker...we should go all out for Nathan Ake on loan next season. They recalled him from Bournemouth earlier in the season, but hasn't played since. 

If Ake goes back out on loan, it'd be in the Prem, surely? He's already been proving himself there. 

• Like 2

I think the starting XI is there. It's good enough when at full strength. Certainly some work needed below that though. Need to improve the quality of the squad because away from 16 or so players, were struggling, and you need a squad bigger than that in the championship. Is rid all the fringe players (there was a good list earlier in the thread) and bring on loan players, young potential players to bolster the squad. With maybe 1 or 2 top quality signings to aid the first team squad.

16 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think the starting XI is there. It's good enough when at full strength. Certainly some work needed below that though. Need to improve the quality of the squad because away from 16 or so players, were struggling, and you need a squad bigger than that in the championship. Is rid all the fringe players (there was a good list earlier in the thread) and bring on loan players, young potential players to bolster the squad. With maybe 1 or 2 top quality signings to aid the first team squad.

Definitely this. When fully fit we have a strong team but after that, its slim pickings. Gardner as our CM if there any injuries? No thanks. Need to strengthen there.

• Like 3

I still think we need a bit of work doing to the team:

GK - need to sort this out. Be it Johnstone or someone with experience. Bunn can be kept as back-up

RB - more than enough options here

LB - can RDL play here? Taylor first choice, Cissokho to go and i'd sell Amavi if we could get £20m.

CB - need a left footed CB to partner Chester and provide competition for Baker. Elphick i'm happy to keep as backup 

CM - woefully short of numbers after Jed, Conor and Lambscurry. Gardner should be nowhere near the team. I'd like an animal like Cattermole, who might be gettable if Sunderland go down (I think Bruce has signed him twice before?). Maybe Woods from Brentford? 

AM/W - like to see some more options here as well

ST - I think definitely need at least one striker, possibly two. After Kodj and Hogan (who appears to pick up injuries easy) we have nothing. Maybe RHM can step up when he's back from injury. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

GK - need to sort this out. Be it Johnstone or someone with experience. Bunn can be kept as back-up

LB - can RDL play here? Taylor first choice, Cissokho to go and i'd sell Amavi if we could get £20m.

CB - need a left footed CB to partner Chester and provide competition for Baker. Elphick i'm happy to keep as backup 

CM - woefully short of numbers after Jed, Conor and Lambscurry. Gardner should be nowhere near the team. I'd like an animal like Cattermole, who might be gettable if Sunderland go down (I think Bruce has signed him twice before?). Maybe Woods from Brentford? 

ST - I think definitely need at least one striker, possibly two. After Kodj and Hogan (who appears to pick up injuries easy) we have nothing. Maybe RHM can step up when he's back from injury. 

Veretout and Gil can fill the CM/AM spots. I think we need someone as backup for Jedinak. 

Just now, KJT123 said:

Veretout and Gil can fill the CM/AM spots. I think we need someone as backup for Jedinak. 

Cannot see either of Gil or veretout lining up for us next season regardless of which league we'll be in. 

I expect them (and Sanchez) all to move permanently.

agree we need to find the new younger jedinak though. 

4 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Possibly, but I'd rather have players who want to be here. 

I hope we continue to scout this division and below to take some young kids with potential and players looking to progress. We need to continue to build a team. The base now seems to be there. 

Seen the young guys from Exeter and Chester mentioned and Woods from Brentford. This is what we should be doing along side experience like Chester, Taylor, Jedinak, De Laet.

We seem to have an endless production line of dead wood that needs to be moved on.

The plan needs to be to bring in players to challenge the current players not as back up. Then into the Premiership do the same and continue to increase the quality. We need to build over 3-5 years. 

Weve had our go at quick fix and now need to be measured in our signings and strategy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I hope we continue to scout this division and below to take some young kids with potential and players looking to progress. We need to continue to build a team. The base now seems to be there. 

Seen the young guys from Exeter and Chester mentioned and Woods from Brentford. This is what we should be doing along side experience like Chester, Taylor, Jedinak, De Laet.

Who from Exeter and Chester? Just out of interest :)

I'd like to see the same as you.. young players with hunger desperate to prove themselves and get into the Premier League. Not has beens who are coming here for a final pay day. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I agree with this in the main, but for me it doesn't necessarily have to be a LB sided cb , but a tall dominating one (similar to, or better than Baker). Chester and Elphick are ball playing cbs but need a tall man marker next to them. It's why Jedinak was been moved back there to cover Baker

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1