Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I see that Loic Remy has had his contract cancelled by Chelsea, would anyone take him? I certainly would

An overpayed injury prone has been. This has got candle face written all over it. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cherry picking that period for Snodgrass is pretty convenient. 

What about the 6 months prior to that? 7 goals and 3 assists in 19 games at Premier League level?

Honestly, I don't know much about Jota. But I imagine if Leeds had bought him instead of Blues then nobody would be batting an eyelid. but because our neighbours have purchased him then everybody's wetting their pants.

Snodgrass will be a good acquisition. Blues will struggle.

I was using Snodgrass as a comparison as we have recently signed him. I do think recent form is more important to go by than past history because, going on past history, Gabby may be a better option than Snodgrass too and I think there's no doubting Snodgrass is better than Gabby right now.

Some may be bothered that Blues have signed him but I am not. I would have had the same opinion about signing him regardless of whether he stayed at Brentford or signed for Notts County. I am more bothered that we didn't go in for him as, since the end of last season, I have said that he would be a good signing for us as he seemed to be exactly what we need, or so I thought.

Edited by villarocker

10 hours ago, John said:

It was only one season last time (87-88) but it was 8 long seasons the time before that (67-68 - 74-75) and that seemed a hell of a long time to me ;).  

Attendances were not as high as they are currently back then both before and after our relegation. We had 10 gates of under 20,000 in our relegation season (66-67) and only 5 of over 20,000 during the following season in Division 2. The arrival of Tommy Docherty played a big part in boosting our attendances (our average home attendance was 34,669 for the last 9 home games of 68-69). 

I think our home attendance has held up very well given what we have paid and what we have been watching for that in recent years. Villa fans have shown that we are not fickle when it comes to turning up at Villa Park. This is now our second longest stay outside of the top flight (we came back up first time in 37-38 & 59-60). I hope our stay will not go beyond 2 seasons this time and trust that the players we now have available following this transfer window will be able to see to that.   

I love posts like this, wish I had experience of that time as well, and good to hear that our attendence hold up well in comparison!

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John said:

It was only one season last time (87-88) but it was 8 long seasons the time before that (67-68 - 74-75) and that seemed a hell of a long time to me ;).  

Bloody hell, John. I didn't realise it was that long. I was in my twenties, drinking heavily and womanising. I'd say that was the reason. Those years did race by. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bloody hell, John. I didn't realise it was that long. I was in my twenties, drinking heavily and womanising. I'd say that was the reason. Those years did race by. :)

glad you've seen the light;):)

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, Eastie said:

Jota  may  have helped get the best from hogan but we have plenty of players now and I'm delighted with snogdrass as he is more versatile and I think will be a huge player for us .

As for blues top 8 at best - no threat to us . 

If they finish top 8, we could be well behind them unless things change.