Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

So has there been any other concrete links (in or out) or insight into where SB actually wants to strengthen?

Considering the Hull game is about 3.5 weeks away and pre-season has started, I'm sure he would want to give the squad some time to gel and form some sort of understanding on a football pitch. Its so crucial that we get off to a good start this season.

15 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Would Barry not to be slow with Terry in defense and Jed besdie him?

The combination of Terry in defense and Barry in midfield was too slow in 2010 let alone 7 years later (See England vs Germany WC 2010)

That was against the likes of Ozil etc, unfortunately there isn't that quality of player in The Championship 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

That was against the likes of Ozil etc, unfortunately there isn't that quality of player in The Championship 

It is 7 years later and I would say both of them are not at the same standard they were in 2010

1 hour ago, Bomvilla7 said:

So has there been any other concrete links (in or out) or insight into where SB actually wants to strengthen?

Considering the Hull game is about 3.5 weeks away and pre-season has started, I'm sure he would want to give the squad some time to gel and form some sort of understanding on a football pitch. Its so crucial that we get off to a good start this season.

Barring johnstone dont expect more than another 2-3 players therefore i dont think it is going to be a big issue

3 hours ago, BOF said:

TBH I'm a little baffled why we're even in for strikers, IF we're in for them (the links might all be crap).  With it looking likely that McCormack will be back on board, and RHM a year older, we've got 3 first choice (JK, SH, RMC) and 3 senior subs (RHM, KD, GA).

Agree with your point, we shouldn't be looking at strikers unless we are going to be selling any of ours.

Isn't Jota a winger/AM though? Fairly creative player? Could be just what we need and lack atm

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You would be hard pushed to find anyone who would be more enthusiastic than me about Barry returning to VP but it's not happening, not this window anyway.

The way Everton are spending money, I doubt there will be any use for Barry, and I bet Barry has a big old soft spot for Villa, tho that said, if Brighton came knocking I'm sure he would have a soft spot for them too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

The way Everton are spending money, I doubt there will be any use for Barry, and I bet Barry has a big old soft spot for Villa, tho that said, if Brighton came knocking I'm sure he would have a soft spot for them too. 

I would love to see this happen - he has that annoying habit of passing to a team mate. I think he would consider dropping into the championship with us - but like you say Brighton in the prem might be hard to turn down

34 year old Daryl Murphy linked now in various online sources

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/11/report-steve-bruce-weighing-up-reunion-with-newcastles-daryl-mur/

Steve Bruce is weighing up a move for Newcastle United striker Daryl Murphy, The Sun reports.

The Aston Villa boss managed Murphy at Sunderland who, along with Nottingham Forest, are said to have asked about taking him on loan.

It is claimed that Murphy has been told he can leave Newcastle, less than a year since he moved back to the north east from Ipswich Town.

Though 34, Murphy boasts an impressive record of 82 goals in 274 second tier games and could be of use to an Aston Villa side for whom only Jonathan Kodjia [19] scored more than five times in the league last season.

After Kodjia, the Villans' strikeforce comprises Scott Hogan, Gabby Agbonlahor and Ross McCormack, whose future is uncertain following a difficult campaign which ended on loan to Nottingham Forest.

Nevertheless, Murphy's chances of regular first team football could be greater at either Forest or Sunderland.

Forest could lose Britt Assombalonga to a Premier league club, while Sunderland already have a vacancy after offloading Jermain Defoe, meaning Bruce may have to rely on his past relationship with Murphy if he wants to bring the Newcastle player to Aston Villa.

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

* Fortunately *

Otherwise we would be staying down here.