Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, KSV said:

John Terry is a massive gamble. I would prefer we signed Marc Roberts or Aden Flint. They would play plenty of games and more valuable over the years. 

Terry.. wont play more than 30 games.. and likely to be injured most the time. Probably only coming for the money too. Wont give two stuffs if we go up or not. 

Disappointing. We still seem to be signing on reputation rather than using our scouts. Likely, Bruce will revert to a back 3 as well.. which is just a shit formation. 

I think Baker and Terry will be rotated personally if he came in....Terry would play the Saturdays and then Baker would get the midweek game. Certainly Baker struggles to play two games in 72 hours as much as John Terry would.

I'm actually interested in why he's considering offers from championship clubs. Either no prem club wants him which seems untrue given West Brom and Bournemouth want him or he's been so used to playing at the top he'd rather continue doing that a level lower than just play around in mid table.

Look I'm no John Terry fan but I just want to see us back in the premier league as quickly as possible. With John Terry in the squad I'd say that possibility increases a fair bit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Baker and Terry will be rotated personally if he came in....Terry would play the Saturdays and then Baker would get the midweek game. Certainly Baker struggles to play two games in 72 hours as much as John Terry would.

I'm actually interested in why he's considering offers from championship clubs. Either no prem club wants him which seems untrue given West Brom and Bournemouth want him or he's been so used to playing at the top he'd rather continue doing that a level lower than just play around in mid table.

Look I'm no John Terry fan but I just want to see us back in the premier league as quickly as possible. With John Terry in the squad I'd say that possibility increases a fair bit.

He doesn't want to play against Chelsea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jon_c said:

OK I was sweeping the statement because the thought of Terry makes me, I'm not sure if it's angry of just completely despondent. 

I don't buy this, everyone would want him. One, I have never rated him, he was lucky to be the token local at a club if expensive multinational talent, and was long the average player in the strong Chelsea defensive step up.

And secondly, if he was so "in demand" he would absolutely be in the Premier League next year.  

I'm sorry but have you seen the amount of times he has been in the FIFA, UEFA and PL team's of the year? He is arguably the best defender to grace the league. Ability to read the game, his positioning, his ball playing ability and his leadership are all outstanding. He could quite easily walk into the starting XI of most premier league teams, you should be creaming your pants that we have somehow been linked with him.

He's also the highest scoring defender in the top flight ever lol.

Also apparently he see's winning promotion as more motivating than a season in midtable or a money-orientated move abroad....a natural born winner.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

That's not much of a recommendation. :)

Yeah, having movable body parts really is a minimum requirement for any professional footballer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I'm sorry but have you seen the amount of times he has been in the FIFA, UEFA and PL team's of the year? He is arguably the best defender to grace the league. Ability to read the game, his positioning, his ball playing ability and his leadership are all outstanding. He could quite easily walk into the starting XI of most premier league teams, you should be creaming your pants that we have somehow been linked with him.

He's also the highest scoring defender in the top flight ever lol.

Also apparently he see's winning promotion as more motivating than a season in midtable or a money-orientated move abroad....a natural born winner.

Well you make an awful lot of sense - but did you see Paul McGrath play- now he's the best to ever grace the league .

Anyway whilst those who are concerned make valid points especially about buying more 'future proof' players, the real question for me is would you rather we played against a team with him in, or that our rivals had to face him in our team ?

I know which I'd prefer by a country mile so it's a big YES for me.

• Like 1

As others have said, as well as Bruce himself, he actually favours 3 at the back, In theory, a back 3 of Terry, Chester, and Baker should be up there with the best backline in the league.

Get rid of Elphick, bring in Flint, and let them fight it out.

Build from the back as they say, the more solid our spine is, the more we can attack.

Terry scores the odd goal too.

I still think the cons outweigh the pros. But once the details come out that could slightly change. 

If we get promoted, then ultimately it doesn't matter. But looks like a big gamble when we look so far off. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As others have said, as well as Bruce himself, he actually favours 3 at the back, In theory, a back 3 of Terry, Chester, and Baker should be up there with the best backline in the league.

Get rid of Elphick, bring in Flint, and let them fight it out.

Build from the back as they say, the more solid our spine is, the more we can attack.

Terry scores the odd goal too.

But will it be 3 at the back, or will it be 5 in the back and Jedi sitting in front of them for extra protection?

If it's Taylor and Hutton as wide options I don't see it working very well either way. Hutton didn't get a single cross past the first defender all season, and although I like Taylor he isn't amazing going forward.

• Like 4

Just now, sne said:

But will it be 3 at the back, or will it be 5 in the back and Jedi sitting in front of them for extra protection?

If it's Taylor and Hutton as wide options I don't see it working very well either way. Hutton didn't get a single cross past the first defender all season, and although I like Taylor he isn't amazing going forward.

Probably true, we would either need more attacking/better fullbacks and/or a flat back line with Wingbacks/wingers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

If we play 3 at the back then Jedinak has to be benched IMO. 

And like you say Hutton can't be out starting rb. 

• Like 3

I expect Bree will be first choice RB next season with Hutton as back up. 

He'd benefit from terry being in the defensive line up.

if it is 5 at the back then I agree that jedinak would have to be on the bench otherwise we'd be too defensive.

hopefully Bruce would opt for two strikers too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I expect Bree will be first choice RB next season with Hutton as back up. 

He'd benefit from terry being in the defensive line up.

if it is 5 at the back then I agree that jedinak would have to be on the bench otherwise we'd be too defensive.

hopefully Bruce would opt for two strikers too.

I was thinking De Laet might actually start to bring with. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I was thinking De Laet might actually start to bring with. 

De laet will be very important next season due to his versatility. 

With amavi potentially leaving he could be back up for taylor as well as cover on the right and centrally.

just hope he isn't afflicted with the usual abandonment  of ability that most villa players get after a bad injury. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Would seem to make sense if Terry & Jedi rotated & they were effectively cover for each other

• Like 2