Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What signing Terry does (aside from provide us with a top quality central defender) is signal intent.

Sign him and attracting more top quality players for next season becomes a lot easier.

Unless they have a hot wife. 

• Like 2

So far, we've been linked to a 33/34 year old and now a 36 year old - both would continue the trend of expensive mistakes imo. Not encouraged or enthused by these links at all, I just hope they're not true and that we have a more dynamic, worthwhile and considered transfer strategy. 

• Like 2

He will be 37 years old this season and honestly, Terry is a proud man, some would say an egomaniac...he won't come here to be given the runaround by lower league journeymen strikers and that is exactly what would happen.

No matter how good your reading of the game is, how much experience you have, once your legs go they go. On the rare occasions he played last season he was a complete bombscare, making silly mistakes trying to make up for his lack of pace, diving in, getting too tight, getting turned, over committing. He knows the time has come for him, they were the acts of a desperate man. The drop down in class won't save him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

Terry and Whelan - Why are we looking at two guys at the end if their careers?

Steve Bruce all over, tried and tested players. I'm sorry, but this is short sighted and narrow minded. If you're old in the premier league, you're old in the championship.

I just don't think this is true. Plenty of players step down to the Championship and do well when too old for the PL. This is a division where Yann Kermorgant and Clint Hill were doing pretty well into their late 30's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Whelan and Terry.

This club is screwed if this is true. Both are past their best.. we should be building for the future not trying to get a quick fix that will likely not work. These players would just be coming for one last pay check. Its going to be Lescott all over again. Have we learnt nothing?

there are plenty of examples of old players moving to clubs at the latter end of their career and doing very well. just because we've been stung in the past doesn't mean we should dismiss this opportunity out of hand. luca toni was "finished" when he went to the middle east, scored 3 in 8 there, went back to italy and scored 20 in back to back seasons at 38.

even an over the hill john terry is arguably better than anything we have at the moment. If he can help us reach promotion it'll be worth the financial outlay.

Edited by abdomlahor
  • Like 1

Regarding John Terry

Could potentially be brought in as a player/ coach role, so he can study his badges while still playing. Would be fantastic for the big games in the league and cups, but he shouldn't need to play, for example, Burton at home. So as long as we don't rely on him he'd be a real statement of intent. 

Might persuade Joe Hart to join us too....... ;)

Edited by skarroki

3 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What signing Terry does (aside from provide us with a top quality central defender) is signal intent.

That we have no idea in player recruitment and have not learnt buying past it players result in past it performances. Avoid, avoid. A move to china surely for JT?

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

That we have no idea in player recruitment and have not learnt buying past it players result in past it performances. Avoid, avoid. A move to china surely for JT?

If only he had a Chinese club he could do like City did with Lampard and let them sign him and loan him back for free.

Apart from that I've always thought Terry to be hugely a overrated player, whose needed a quality defender alongside him (Carvalho, Ferdinand etc.) to look any good. Let's not forget that he is a horrible human being, who would just be another d**k in a dressing room that could do with losing some of those d**ks.

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

Apart from that I've always thought Terry to be hugely a overrated player, whose needed a quality defender alongside him (Carvalho, Ferdinand etc.) to look any good. Let's not forget that he is a horrible human being, who would just be another d**k in a dressing room that could do with losing some of those d**ks.

Terry overrated? No chance, he has been a quality defender. Yes he is a horrible human being, but in the changing room he would be a massive influence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Other than knocking the back out of Wayne Bridges bird (she was phit as phuck in his defence) he has come across as a model pro and Chelsea haven't exactly dropped down the leagues with him in the squad, judging a man on being a human with flaws we all suffer with at some point in our lives doesn't make him the Devil incarnate does it? I'd welcome him with open legs! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure this is great news, does kinda look like something an 9 year old would send thou :D

Makes me wanna Dab with excitement. 

Can't stand Terry at all but he'd breeze the championship given the lack of quality I saw last season.

We need a better mentality in the dressing room aswell. Stuff such as losing yet another away game meekly 1-0 wouldn't be tolerated with him in the dressing room I'd imagine.

Still think it's a story planted to tell prem clubs to get a move on with offers to him tbh.