Pre-match thread

John

On 29/03/2017 at 19:48, alreadyexists said:

Oh god, this international break has seemed the longest ever. In the Championship I'm used to a game every other day so this has felt like ages.

Well you've got 8 in the space of 37 days coming up, which is frankly totally insane. So enjoy (or not!).

• Like 1

There's a nagging feeling I have that we used to watch a sport where a bag of air was moved within a rectangular area by the use of any part of the body but the arms. To make it interesting there was a group of people, a 'team' who tried to move it between an upright rectangle while others tried to stop them doing it, with these others also trying to move it inside of their rectangle.

Sounds weird I know but perhaps it was an ancient sport lost in the sands of time, and I'm getting flashbacks from long dead generations.

• Like 1

Andre Green is back in training but Steve Bruce thinks Saturday’s clash with Norwich City could come too soon for the young winger.

We face the Canaries at Villa Park, kick-off 3pm.

Green has trained on Wednesday and Thursday and is set to train again today on the eve of the weekend game.

Nathan Baker has been on the fields of Bodymoor Heath all week and is now firmly in contention.

Gabby Agbonlahor is set to return to training today as he steps up his recovery from a torn hamstring.

Agbonlahor has been absent with a hamstring tear for the past two months.

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy is also back in training after three months out with a troublesome ankle problem.

clicky

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I hate Villa, we'll win this and the play-off dream will continue. Just let me go god damnit. 

If Sheffield Wednesday lose ...

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier, I recall going to the 1975 final with my dad (I was sweet 16 those days!). We were right behind the goal and I can still see Kevin Keelan the Norwich keeper (ex Villa player...), save the penatly onto the post and Ray Graydon hammer the ball in the net....didnt see a thing for the last 20 minutes....banners, flags....One thing I do remember is the chant...........Saunders, Saunders ......to the tune of Amazing Grace.

The other Norwich memory is a month later the April game at Norwich where we won 4 -1. I was an apprentice in Lowestoft (just down the road from Norwich), so took a local train, wearing my Villa scarf, got a few looks from some Norwich fans. Two funny memories were Norwich fans taking this piss of how few of us were there and the chant went up from us.... "The train has yet to come, the train has yet to come" the other was the Norwich fans singing to us "Amy Turtle on the wing"........for those of you too young it was a reference to "Crossroads"...look it up on the interweb

1975 eh......we had no idea what was going to happen in the next 7 years....!

All the best

Del

• Like 3

On 21/3/2017 at 11:23, BOF said:

Their recent problem is that they draw too much.  Sound familiar?  They've only lost 3 of their last 15 games, yet in this inconsistent league that has only moved them from 12th to 8th, and has cost them a manager in the process.

They score a lot of goals.  They're 3rd overall and they're top scorers at home.  Only 9th away though.

Fixtures involving Norwich contain the most goals of any team in the division (121) and that trend is even moreso away from Carrow Road, so maybe back over 2.5 (their away games AVERAGE 3.26 goals).

They've only failed to score 6 times this season which is the best in the league.  They're also best away from home where they've only failed 4 times.

Where they're not so good is at keeping clean sheets.  9 all season and 2 away from home (compared to Brighton's 19).  They've also lost over half of their away games.  10 from 19, and the most recent 3 mentioned above were all away from home including Rotherham of all places.

So we can say they blow hot and cold but they give the opposition chances.  Our recent defensive upturn should stand us in good stead and if we can take some of the chances that come our way then I think we can continue on our winning run.

3-1 Villa.

43fb47f4f109acde47c7ecddcb54cfc5.png

Do you homework BOF, how about giving us some info for a change :-)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

Do you homework BOF, how about giving us some info for a change :-)

Sorry sir, I'll up my game next time :):thumb::P

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's on Sky right? Guaranteed loss then.

No it's not.  We've only 1 game left on Sky this season and that's Fulham away on the 17th of April.

Two weird stats for us. Rudy Gestede is still our 2nd highest scorer in the league this season with 4 goals and he had those by November.  Jordan Ayew is our 2nd highest assister with 4 assists and he had those by October.

Come on lads!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well you've got 8 in the space of 37 days coming up, which is frankly totally insane. So enjoy (or not!).

Very true, hadn't thought of that. It's a 'be careful what you wish for' scenario playing out. Seems like the injury blight on February/March is starting to come to an end though, so fingers crossed we can make the most of our 37 day marathon stint.

Johnstone

Hutton - Chester - Jedinak - Taylor

Adomah - Lansbury - Hourihane - Green

Kodjia - Hogan

I'd probably go with that for tomorrow. Hopefully the partnership of Hogan and Kodjia can really start to click now.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Johnstone

Hutton - Chester - Jedinak - Taylor

Adomah - Lansbury - Hourihane - Green

Kodjia - Hogan

I'd probably go with that for tomorrow. Hopefully the partnership of Hogan and Kodjia can really start to click now.

I'd go for that too, that's a decent line up. I hope Green can make a decent impact tomorrow.