Ratings & Reactions: Wigan v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Awful 1st half including some terrible passing Jedinak/Gardner not much better 2nd half till we made the changes we were alot better but still not brilliant but a wins a win.

On another note attendance was 14k no way on gods earth there was 9k wigan fans there no way not having that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midian said:

Awful 1st half including some terrible passing Jedinak/Gardner not much better 2nd half till we made the changes we were alot better but still not brilliant but a wins a win.

On another note attendance was 14k no way on gods earth there was 9k wigan fans there no way not having that.

My boys said the same thing midian, there were 5,000 Villa and about 100 Wigan, its called pulling a West Brom mate, always take 10,000 off whatever the tax man hears lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Little concerned about Gary Gardner today, didn't seem at the races and didn't have any period in the game where he bossed the midfield, against, let's face it a terrible Wigan side.

Things seemed to go much better when we stopped playing Adomah as a Stiker and brought on Henri and Hogan.

'Didn't seem at the races'.

He's never been at the races, mate. 

Great (miracle) result considering our sorry starting line up - we can't expect much from a team with Gardner, Amavi and Hutton as three of four midfielders.

Just shows, despite the spending, how much needs to be done to our squad to make it properly resilient for a whole season. We need another right sided midfielder and defensive mid. Pleased with Bree and Taylor though, even Johnstone is coming good. If anything though, we are too defensively heavy nowadays, especially when RDL comes back, and if Hutton extends his stay

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Scott Hogan becomes the 9th player to score his first ever Villa goal this season (McCormack, Kodjia, Tshibola, Gardner, Baker, Adomah, Chester & Hourihane).  That's the most 'new' scorers in a season since the 91/92 season when 10 players opened their account (Regis, Atkinson, Staunton, Penrice, Richardson, Blake, P.Mortimer, Parker, Teale, Froggatt).  Still time to catch them (looking at you Messrs Lansbury & Jedinak ...)

I didn't realise Baker was one, thought he'd bagged a few in the past.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I didn't realise Baker was one, thought he'd bagged a few in the past.

Yeah he's probably the most surprising entry on the list, but no.

Albert Adomah whipped in a cross from a set piece, and Nathan Baker met the ball with an inch-perfect header into the bottom right corner of the goal. It was Baker’s first Aston Villa goal, and it comes at a great time.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Scott Hogan becomes the 9th player to score his first ever Villa goal this season (McCormack, Kodjia, Tshibola, Gardner, Baker, Adomah, Chester & Hourihane).  That's the most 'new' scorers in a season since the 91/92 season when 10 players opened their account (Regis, Atkinson, Staunton, Penrice, Richardson, Blake, P.Mortimer, Parker, Teale, Froggatt).  Still time to catch them (looking at you Messrs Lansbury & Jedinak ...)

Nice one BOF.

I'd add Green as another candidate (hopefully).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, terrytini said:

Nearly forgot - brilliant program, Well Done Wigan, best I've seen for a long time.

Aren't they also noted for their pies oop there?  Any good?

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

There's been a bit of a ruckus about the pies at Wigan recently. You used to get (pretty decent, if a little on the small side) pies that were made by a local Wigan pie-maker, but then they went out of business and Wigan changed to Hollands pies (which are still local-ish, but not made in Wigan) and a few of the locals have been grumbling about it. I think Hollands pies are from Accrington (near Blackburn). They're good pies, mind, but the Wiganers have got the hump.

TL:DR - Yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Pie was rubbish, sadly.

So I had another after the game, purely in the interests of research, from a different outlet.  Also rubbish.

So I had to get Fish and Chips from Eccleshall on the way home.

The fish was rubbish.

Had cheese on toast when I got in, that was nice.

Â