68 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For the non UK LADS!

Cheers, JV. :thumb:

Good to see we are doing more of that funny attacky stuff.

And, that pass. Its back to DM for Jed, me thinks.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Can we have an OBE-esque match report from someone at the game, please? :)

Those highlights certainly suggest Wigan outplayed us but 3 points is the most important thing. 

Yeah going on those highlights it looks like Wigan had more of the play. What I will say is that bar Jedinaks  dodgy  back pass, Johnstone didn't look too troubled by any of their efforts, and they looked regulation saves which I expect my goalkeeper to make.

i can't tell on our first goal as I am watching on a phone screen, but sometimes referees over protect goalkeepers so we had a little fortune in the ref not blowing up for our player being within the goalies personal space. In my opinion GK are way too protected so I am happy to see this one stand.

56 minutes ago, chappy said:

Hardly a memorable afternoon at the DW. Did you know he once broke his leg in an FA Cup final? Me neither. Empty seats m'lord as ever at Wigan and even more so than their few years in the prem when we weren't a big enough club to entice Roberto Martinez to be our manager.  Did you ever hear that Dave Whelan once broke his leg in an FA Cup final?

'The action' began slowly with us looking confident as you'd expect off the back of  4 wins out of 5. Fantastic effort from the 4000+ in the away who may well have outnumbered the other three stands (not sure of the official attendance). Our superiority without actually doing anything was shaken when a poor Jedinak backpass let them in on 13 mins but thankfully SJ closed the angle and their player hit the side netting.

Our first meaningful action came 5 mins later when a good move down the left resulted in a Kodjia shot blocked for a corner. It was all very bitty and we couldn't claim fluent football. Our first attempt on target came on 23 mins with a simple save for their keeper after a Jedinak header.

The theme continued of us not looking troubled but equally not threatening. On 35 mins we produced some decent build up play until (der der duh duh der duh) Conor Hourihane looked forward and saw fullbacks ahead of him as well as alongside him and the move fizzled out. We looked great with this set up at home to Wednesday but away at Wigan is a different ball game and the onus was on us to make the play. It wasn't working. 

On 41 mins Conor played a suicidal pass attempted for a CB but straight to their player. He won the ball back excellently only for the ref to book him. Probably the only bad decision in the match (unless you're Jonathan Kodjia being violated by a defender every time the ball comes your way). The much maligned Sam Johnstone (by me!) made a smart save from the resulting free kick.

Johnstone was brought into action again on 55 mins after a horrific Gardner pass back and he continues to rebuild his reputation (more on that later).

We needed to score as this could've been heading for a dire 0-0 draw. We tried and a smart move was let down by a poor final ball from CH. The signs were there though and despite a few grumblings, the away support on the whole didn't lose the faith.

Full props to Brucie as this game changed on a double substitution on 59 mins. Off came Bree and Gardner and on came Lansbury and Hogan. 

The effect of our double substitution didn't make itself clear immediately and our hosts had a chance on 62 which SJ saved again. Lansbury fizzed a corner past everyone on 65 and a minute later Hogan was adjudged offside (unfairly in my opinion) after a great move. The signs were suddenly screaming out that we were going to score. Even more so 2 minutes later when Amavi broke skilfully only tonne let down by a terrible 'finish' from Kodjia.

4 minutes after that we took a deserved lead in the scrappiest of circumstances. I think Chester put it in in the end but I was looking at the linesman as I feared there was going to be a whistle. As I say: scrappy, but deserved. 

They almost equalised amidst the celebrations and a shot fizzed wide past our goal. From then on we looked comfortable and I was dying for a piss so went for one. Cue a massive roar when I was in the toilet which was Scott Hogan's first  Villa goal. No idea if it was a 40 yard screamer or a one yard out off his arse bundle but at this stage who cares?!

We played the rest of the game out with professionalism and plenty of Alan Hutton chants. My second win on the bounce and more importantly our 5th out of 6 in a row!

Ratings:

Johnstone 8 Did well when called upon but equally was rarely troubled. Poor kicking but I'll take that in return for 5 clean sheets out of 6! Keep proving me wrong Sam!

Bree 7 another assured performance. I see him as a Lowton who doesn't attack but can defend better than Lowton. If that makes sense? Very tidy and glad to have him in the side.

Chester 9 assured as ever and a streaky goal (I think it was him) to boot. Extra point for the goal (if it was him)

Jedinak 8 solid again despite one odd pass. He's a Mike Hussey, could get out early but when he goes big he goes big. I'll waltz his Matilda tonight.

Taylor 8 mr dependable

Hutton 7 the Scottish Cafu had less of an influence than last week but did his bit to ensure the win

Gardner 6 did enough

Hourihane 7 a solid performance without really sparkling

Amavi 5 still not comfortable in the further forward position

Adomah 5 ran a lot but today wasn't his day. Will slot back into right wing with Hogan up to

Kodjia 6 man-handled throughout by their defence. A thankless task today which he performed admirably. 

Subs:

Lansbury: nothing of note but his tenacity put them on the back foot so he contributed well to the win

Hogan: as covered no idea how he scored but score he did so can't argue with that! At 0/0 he gave us extra impetus so a great impact sub

Elphick: barely on

Poor game but great win, imagine where we'd be if we'd tried in September and January!

Surely 5 for Adomah is harsh considering his excellent assIstanbul for hogans goal!

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Surely 5 for Adomah is harsh considering his excellent assIstanbul for hogans goal!

Adomah has a very nice Turkish butt?

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

.....which Chappy said he didn't see owing to being in the toilet at that crucial moment. So let's agree 6.5?

• Like 2

I appreciate it wasn't eye candy, but those clean sheets are invaluable.

They are fantastic building blocks.

nice to see Scott get off the mark.

• Like 1

Â