Champions League Draw Last 8

andykeenan

I think it's a horrible draw for Leicester. At this point I'd want the glamour tie (Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern or Juventus) but instead they've got a team who will beat them but don't provide much glamour even though they've made two of the past three finals. 

Leicester went there in the same season and it was shit by all accounts, the Madrid police ruined the trip as they restricted Leicester fans to only being allowed to travel on official flights if they wanted a ticket for the match, then they kept the Leicester fans in compounds outside of the city for most of the day before only allowing them to the stadium on official coaches which arrived immediately before kickoff.  There were reports that lots of Leicester fans couldn't even have anything to eat or drink all day because as their movements were so restricted they didn't even get a chance to exchange their money from pounds to pesetas.   Times have changed and I can't see it being like that again but what a crappy experience first time round. 

• Like 1

A Madrid v Leicester

Dortmund V Monaco 

Bayern V R Madrid 

Juventus V Barcelona

Bolded teams to go through.

Although I really hope Juve beats Barca who as always gets the deciding game at home. It's been the case for a decade or more, at least 9 out of 10 times they get it.

On 17/03/2017 at 18:51, The_Rev said:

I think it's a horrible draw for Leicester. At this point I'd want the glamour tie (Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern or Juventus) but instead they've got a team who will beat them but don't provide much glamour even though they've made two of the past three finals. 

You just can't say that about Leicester anymore, of course they should lose but they keep on creating miracles.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

You just can't say that about Leicester anymore, of course they should lose but they keep on creating miracles.

Yes its not as if Leicester are like a non league club playing in the Fa cup who want the glory tie. They are in it to win it. Whether they do or not is another question but that's what the club will be thinking.

Edited by PaulC

On 19/03/2017 at 23:38, PaulC said:

Yes its not as if Leicester are like a non league club playing in the Fa cup who want the glory tie. They are in it to win it. Whether they do or not is another question but that's what the club will be thinking.

I just can't see it. Never say never of course but the current Atleti team is about as hard a counter to Leicester as you can get, right? They are built on a ridiculous defence and don't leave themselves open to the counter which is probably Leicester's biggest weapon, plus Atleti have better players in pretty much every position. 

Compare that to the glamour tie against Real Madrid, whose gung ho nature means they have the capacity to beat Leicester 8-1 or get knocked out by a sucker punch. It's more exciting and it's more of an event. 

• Like 2

That's not true at all. Atleti have conceded 23 goals in 28 games in La Liga this season (Seville have conceded 34 in 28) and they also conceded the fewest goals in the group stage of the Champions League, 2, finishing above Bayern Munich in the group while they were at it. 

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 00:55, The_Rev said:

That's not true at all. Atleti have conceded 23 goals in 28 games in La Liga this season (Seville have conceded 34 in 28) and they also conceded the fewest goals in the group stage of the Champions League, 2, finishing above Bayern Munich in the group while they were at it. 

My apologies I looked the wrong column GD instead of GC.  I agree with all their experience and know-how they should beat Leicester but I think Leicester are one side that are not fased by reputation. They will believe they can beat Atleitco and that his half the jobs. Sides that have been there year after year like Arsenal are mentally gone when they play these teams.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think the Juventus v Barcelona tie is fascinating. We know how vunerable Barcelona are defensively but there again they did beat Atletico at the  Vicente Calderón, so who knows.

I agree.  It's hard to back against them knowing what they're capable of, but as Barça sides go, this one is relatively vulnerable.

I also find the Dortmund v Monaco tie fascinating tbh.  Dortmund are a relatively experienced and wily old European side, and Monaco are this nitro-glycerin powered young pup who score for fun.  It'll be interesting to see how Dortmund go about containing them.

It's also telling that I didn't know these ties were on tonight until I saw your post.

On 3/17/2017 at 18:51, The_Rev said:

Agree with this.

It's like when a non-league team get through to the 4th or 5th round of the FA Cup and then end up drawing someone like Sunderland or Wolves.

Yeah they might get through, but really they'll probably lose and they miss out on the glamour tie away at Old Trafford or something

Well you'll get almost even money (20/21) on Atlético to win tomorrow with over 2.5 goals in the game.  That's with BetVictor.  I've had a tenner on that.  I've also stuck a fiver on Monaco tonight because they're 5/1.  With that attack! (it came in to 19/4 as I was putting it on)

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Someone get me odds for over 6.5 goals in the Dortmund - Monaco game B)

BetVictor are giving 8/1 for over 6.5.

>1.5 - 1/11

>2.5 - 1/3

>3.5 - 9/10

>4.5 - 2/1

>5.5 - 9/2

>6.5 - 8/1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I also find the Dortmund v Monaco tie fascinating tbh.  Dortmund are a relatively experienced and wily old European side, and Monaco are this nitro-glycerin powered young pup who score for fun.  It'll be interesting to see how Dortmund go about containing them.

are they? they have probably 3 players that played in 2013 final on their books and their current squad is full of young guns as well and players like Aubameyang, Sokratis and Sahin who never got this far in Champions League before

Â