Champions League Draw Last 8

andykeenan

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I can see why the ref gave it from his angle, Casemiro goes in recklessly. But Robbens right leg clearly trips over nothing, he just throws himself to the ground when nothing is stopping him going on. 

Then the second goal is obviously offside. The ref gets either if these decisions right and both Ronaldo goals are irrelevant anyway as there is no ET. Sure, you can point to the sending off, but Bayern would have had to score 2 goals in the last 5 minutes, there's nothing to suggest they would, really. 

Yes, Bayern were screwed in ET, there's no doubting that. But referee incompetence is the only reason they got to it. 

Personally, I think that's a penalty (shows how tough the referee has it!).  Casemiro catches Robben's left foot (well, toes really) - I have no idea why you're watching his right leg.  He goes down easily, it's Robben after all, but it's enough to stop his momentum and is a fair enough penalty award IMO.

I'm not actually sure the second goal was offside either.  It looks like the Bayern players are level with each other when the ball is chested down.  Pretty tough to call, though, and certainly could've been given offside.

You're overlooking that Casemiro should've been sent off long before Vidal was sent off, by the way.  Bayern to score 2 goals against a side down to 10 men with 30 minutes to go?  Much more likely than 2 goals in the last 5 minutes.  History now in any case!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Yet Real are still vastly more likeable than Barcelona IMO

IYO, sure.

They're both filled with pretty unlikeable characters but Real absolutely trump it IMO.  Sergio Ramos and Pepe are horrible, horrible footballers.  And not because they cheat (people really seem to hate diving here!) but because they actively try to injure the opposition.  **** that.

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I think that's a penalty (shows how tough the referee has it!).  Casemiro catches Robben's left foot (well, toes really) - I have no idea why you're watching his right leg.  He goes down easily, it's Robben after all, but it's enough to stop his momentum and is a fair enough penalty award IMO.

I'm not actually sure the second goal was offside either.  It looks like the Bayern players are level with each other when the ball is chested down.  Pretty tough to call, though, and certainly could've been given offside.

You're overlooking that Casemiro should've been sent off long before Vidal was sent off, by the way.  Bayern to score 2 goals against a side down to 10 men with 30 minutes to go?  Much more likely than 2 goals in the last 5 minutes.  History now in any case!

For me a penalty and yes Casemiro was very lucky to be on the pitch. None of this would have mattered I think if Vidal had have scored that pen in the first leg which was not a penalty. That's 2-0 Bayern at ht in the first leg.

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's absolutely a penalty.  Does he catch him? Yes.  Not just that, but catching the right leg in that situation gives it nowhere to go and will end in a trip.  Does he get the ball?  No. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

It's absolutely a penalty.  Does he catch him? Yes.  Not just that, but catching the right leg in that situation gives it nowhere to go and will end in a trip.  Does he get the ball?  No. 

Nah, It's absolutely not a penalty. Does he touch him yes.  But that on its own is not a reason to give a penalty (or a direct free kick). Does Robben see him coming and deliberately move his right leg so that it looks (at first view) as if the defender's caused Robben to hit the deck - Yes. The defender neither trips nor tries to trip Robben. He tries to get to the ball and fails, but does not trip Robben. He does not foul Robben. He is not the cause of Robben falling (it's a dive) and Robben is not trying to evade being clattered and thus tumbles as a consequence.

That said Ref's seem to fall for those dives often enough to make it worthwhile cynically doing it.

• Like 2

I've watched it over and over, and at the point where Casemiro's right leg makes contact with Robben's right leg, there is nowhere Robben's leg could go, nor should go.  It's still a penalty for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've watched it over and over, and at the point where Casemiro's right leg makes contact with Robben's right leg, there is nowhere Robben's leg could go, nor should go.  It's still a penalty for me.

At this point, if you watch Robben's movement - up until that point it was a normal running action, but at and after that point Robben clearly and deliberately makes no attempt to carry on running, instead he deliberately holds his right leg bent at the knee and then follows by twisting his body - so as to give an appearance of heavy contact from the defender's leg (when there is actually none). Robben at no point acts in a natural way, an instinctive way of maintaining balance - he deliberately simulates being fouled by no putting his right leg down once the defenders foot has come down - he doesn't know if the defender will get he ball when he starts his dive, and he doesn't know if there will be any contact at all, hence the extra twist of his torso "just in case". He's a serial cheat, and this is another example.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

At this point, if you watch Robben's movement - up until that point it was a normal running action, but at and after that point Robben clearly and deliberately makes no attempt to carry on running, instead he deliberately holds his right leg bent at the knee and then follows by twisting his body - so as to give an appearance of heavy contact from the defender's leg (when there is actually none). Robben at no point acts in a natural way, an instinctive way of maintaining balance - he deliberately simulates being fouled by no putting his right leg down once the defenders foot has come down - he doesn't know if the defender will get he ball when he starts his dive, and he doesn't know if there will be any contact at all, hence the extra twist of his torso "just in case". He's a serial cheat, and this is another example.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree :) I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying that Robben doesn't embelish the whole 'ordeal' after the event to make it obvious to the ref, but that doesn't mean that what Casemiro did at the point of the contact was not an obstruction in the box and therefore not a penalty.  I think it was a definite penalty that Robben made sure the ref knew about.

• Like 2

Â