Germany v England/England v Lithuania

andykeenan

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And lallana is probably the best England player going at the moment, sure he won the national team player of the year last year, Kane and Ali are better players but haven't done anything in an England shirt yet

tells you everything you need to know 

LOL why did they even bother with that award last year, utter joke.

• Like 1

Its what it is isn't it. we've had better squads before but done nothing with them. France may have better players but they have underachieved as well. Portugal won the euros and they din't have the best of squads. You wouldn't want nani at Villa would you?   I like Southgate and think he will do a good job.

We miss Kane and hes a great finisher but he is no good when isolated up front like in the euros unlike Vardy who can play that lone role. Very underdrated. Constant harassing of defenders, quickest striker around , great work rate and scores his fair share of goals. I think hes a great player, age has nothing to do with it.

Edited by PaulC

This time last year I was quite excited about the squad....Kane and Vardy were scoring 20 + goals, Rashford was coming through and the Spurs players were all in good form.

And then we saw the same players all freeze collectively as we've seen many times before.

England won't do anything at the next world cup, I'm beyond caring now tbh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its what it is isn't it. we've had better squads before but done nothing with them. France may have better players but they have underachieved as well. Portugal won the euros and they din't have the best of squads. You wouldn't want nani at Villa would you?   I like Southgate and think he will do a good job.

I really would ;)

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This time last year I was quite excited about the squad....Kane and Vardy were scoring 20 + goals, Rashford was coming through and the Spurs players were all in good form.

And then we saw the same players all freeze collectively as we've seen many times before.

England won't do anything at the next world cup, I'm beyond caring now tbh.

Hodgson screwed up really. He never fancied playing Kane and Vardy together and he had Kane on corners and free-kick duty which was ridiculous.

Albrighton's played about 4 decent games all year...all in the last month. Antonio isn't great technically but he's been consistant for West Ham for quite some time.

Was Walcott even playing today....he's had countless chances for England. What exactly has he done since his hat trick v Croatia...that was nearly 9 years ago now.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

How is Marc Albrighton not in that squad?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Tbf to him after years of not deserving call ups how can Walcott be having his fittest and probably best season and not be in there

We don't need them... the legend that is Jesse Lingard is in instead

• Like 2

On 16/03/2017 at 14:54, av1 said:

Quality wise i agree that isn't a squad thats going to worry the bigger nations. But the 2 main gripes most fans have about the selection of England squads have both been addressed. 

Namely:

# Giving young players a chance, I've not got the time or inclination to check this, but that must be one of the youngest squads in recent years. 

# Picking players that are on form rather than sticking with the same names time and time again. Would Defoe be in the squad if not for injuries? Who knows, but he has had a great season so arguably deserves his call up. 

So whislt the squad itself doesn't scream 'tournament success', i like the direction Gareth seems to be taking..

Yes its very much lose/lose for England managers in every area of their job. 

I've seen a few people elsewhere criticise the squad selection, despite him picking form players. Then in previous squads complaints of picking name players. Then actual games, if we win friendlies, who cares, we lose, "this is why we'll never win anything". Basically same attitude in most qualifiers too. 

I even have a friend who says he doesn't care about England because we've been shit for years. Yet supports Villa. Very odd IMO attitude IMO. 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Albrighton's played about 4 decent games all year...all in the last month. Antonio isn't great technically but he's been consistant for West Ham for quite some time.

Was Walcott even playing today....he's had countless chances for England. What exactly has he done since his hat trick v Croatia...that was nearly 9 years ago now.

To be fair he's one of the few English players who can cross a football from out wide, so that instantly gives England another dimension among the incredibly 'similar' wide midfielders in that squad. Small sample size but he has looked very good whenever I've seen him in Leicesters Champions League games this season.

On 16/03/2017 at 14:31, villa4europe said:

Lallana had a really good start to the season tbf to him, not sure what his forms like

phil jones is shit and doesn't even play half of utds games anymore, vardys form has picked up been been poor for a while before that, Defoe is making up the numbers, he won't be anywhere near the squad next summer, chamberlain is one of those negland players who never has a good game but keeps getting called up

but the piece de resistance.......Jake **** Livermore.....Jesus Christ 

Jones plays almost every game when fit. He has played 88% of games when fit this season to be exact. 

Â