Germany v England/England v Lithuania

andykeenan

apparently Defoe's in the England squad - what an array of options upfront we have. Admittedly he has been doing well for Sunderland, and frankly is probably better than crow-barring in Rooney, but shows we're still very much short when Kane is injured. 

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Man City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

Quality wise i agree that isn't a squad thats going to worry the bigger nations. But the 2 main gripes most fans have about the selection of England squads have both been addressed. 

Namely:

# Giving young players a chance, I've not got the time or inclination to check this, but that must be one of the youngest squads in recent years. 

# Picking players that are on form rather than sticking with the same names time and time again. Would Defoe be in the squad if not for injuries? Who knows, but he has had a great season so arguably deserves his call up. 

So whislt the squad itself doesn't scream 'tournament success', i like the direction Gareth seems to be taking..

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Debbie Allie is the only good player outfield.

Hart is a solid GK, who plays badly when in his countries kit.

Terrible team!

I wouldn't say he's the only good outfield player. Lallana is good. Vardy too imo, but he's limited with  players availability.

Lallana had a really good start to the season tbf to him, not sure what his forms like

phil jones is shit and doesn't even play half of utds games anymore, vardys form has picked up been been poor for a while before that, Defoe is making up the numbers, he won't be anywhere near the squad next summer, chamberlain is one of those negland players who never has a good game but keeps getting called up

but the piece de resistance.......Jake **** Livermore.....Jesus Christ 

I remember watching England as a kid and loving it. Staying up on a Wednesday night to watch highlights of Linekar getting a hat-trick against Turkey in a qualifier - I think his strike partner was Mark Hateley at the time.

Now I would rather pick the clingons out of my dogs arse and bake them in a pie over watching that shower.

• Like 1

I used to think that but in fairness he's generally played well in Klopp's system and starting to step up for England as a result.

Whether he can actually do anything meaningful in a game in a major tournament is more open to debate....

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Very mediocre squad when you look at what France is producing atm....Mbappe, Ousname Dembele, Lemar etc.

What happened to Carroll, would've thought he'd have been a certainty with all the injuries upfront.

Just seen a who hasn't been called up to the French team thing on twitter, lacazette, varane, Laporte, zouma, martial, coman, benzema, dembele

pretty embarrassing really 

the most interesting thing about the Germany game will be if ze Germans roll out their youth prospects, we'll wax lyrical about Ali being world class whilst they casually throw out Meyer, goretzka, weigl, Brandt etc Germany could go properly young and still do us

And lallana is probably the best England player going at the moment, sure he won the national team player of the year last year, Kane and Ali are better players but haven't done anything in an England shirt yet

tells you everything you need to know 

11 hours ago, av1 said:

# Picking players that are on form rather than sticking with the same names time and time again. Would Defoe be in the squad if not for injuries? Who knows, but he has had a great season so arguably deserves his call up. 

<cough> Luke Shaw

• Like 1

Â