17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

11 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I am honestly starting to worry about holding a playoff spot. Thankfully Derby has imploded, but Boro, Bristol, and surprisingly Millwall have rebounded.  

8 point  cushion with 7 to play - I think we need 2 wins to be sure of a top 4 spot .

I think our best hope now is for Fulham to overtake Cardiff as there is now way we are beating them in a playoff match.

Would be good if we beat Cardiff in the next couple of games time as well as a psychological boost for the final.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

8 point  cushion with 7 to play - I think we need 2 wins to be sure of a top 4 spot .

I think we should be able to get that sorted, but I'm still so disappointed we've thrown automatic out the window with three terrible performances against some pretty weak sides.

• Like 1

Just now, dounavilla said:

I think our best hope now is for Fulham to overtake Cardiff as there is now way we are beating them in a playoff match.

Would be good if we beat Cardiff in the next couple of games time as well as a psychological boost for the final.

Totally agree with you , far more chance of beating Cardiff at Wembley and the effect missing out on automatics would have on them would help us too.

1 minute ago, dounavilla said:

I think we have a good chance in playoffs against anyone, but we need to be confident and on a roll. And it's not looking like that now.

Just now, AVTuco said:

I think we have a good chance in playoffs against anyone, but we need to be confident and on a roll. And it's not looking like that now.

All depends who holds their nerve and performs on the day - we are very hit and miss .

• Like 1

Top 2 was unlikely before today. Now it is even more unlikely. I guess we are at least getting our bad run out of the way now. It is too early to peak for the play offs yet. Still fancy us to win at Wembley, especially with the Kodj back. He should be up to speed by then.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

It looks like we'll have to go on another unbeaten streak. That should give us the fire we currently lack. All about timing now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Time to 'box clever' between now and  any play off games!  Rest and rotate some key players, give Kodjia some game time and work out our best eleven.  Huddersfield did something similar last year and it worked for them.  It's hard to accept performances like the last three, but we need to get behind the team still and we might just go up by the skin of our teeth.  

Kinda like how the pre - season should have been? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Top 2 was unlikely before today. Now it is even more unlikely. I guess we are at least getting our bad run out of the way now. It is too early to peak for the play offs yet. Still fancy us to win at Wembley, especially with the Kodj back. He should be up to speed by then.

We have had too many bad runs this season - can afford one but three - we need to be right on our game in the play offs - if not at our best we will be turned over - a huge  3 games ahead for this club in May all being well .

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There seems to be an assumption we will get to Wembley. For me winning over two games in the semi, is the more difficult job. At Wembley we have the advantage of having a big match captain,(if fit), and perhaps a little more of the big club air about us and so feeling more at home with the venue and the occasion.

Of course making sure we make the playoffs is our first job.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd agree with that Ferguson - it's an ideal time to find out who can make a difference, and to rest a couple of players.

If we don't go up, we're going to need 10-12 players with hardly any money to spend at all - I think throwing money at a new manager will be out of the question.

Then Dr Tony would be a fool

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Top 2 was unlikely before today. Now it is even more unlikely. 

Top 2 was unlikely before the season started. Before today it was ridiculously unlikely and now it is impossible (in reality).

The focus has to be on a balance between rotating players and getting the right team ready for the play offs. That will not be easy. 

Let's hope we pick up some form heading into May because with the likes of WBA, Southampton and Stoke possibly coming down with parachute payments, next season it's gonna be extremely difficult for us to compete for automatic promotion.

Edited by One For The Road

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

There seems to be an assumption we will get to Wembley. For me winning over two games in the semi, is the more difficult job. At Wembley we have the advantage of having a big match captain,(if fit), and perhaps a little more of the big club air about us and so feeling more at home with the venue and the occasion.

Of course making sure we make the playoffs is our first job.

Indeed it is 3 games  we need to be bang on our game - whoever we meet in the 2 leg semi will be a real challenge - we must be at our very best and far too many times this season we have not been .

• Like 1